Song of the South

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Song of the South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone here find it offensive?...:shock:

I can honestly say I've never seen the movie, just had an illustrated book of Br'er Rabbit when I was a kid. The song Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is a classic...:right:

Disney has never made this movie available in the US, but people sell it on DVD on the internet.

Anyone have it? I was thinking about buying it after I get paid a few paychecks...:)

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre.com
I don't find it offensive, and I have seen that classic movie couple of times. My parents have that movie on DVD, but I don't have a copy of it yet.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I saw it a long time ago, and don't find it offensive. Insensitive, for sure - a product of the times. I'm not a fan of rewriting history by burying it. This country has had race problems, and films like this could be used as a great vehicle to explain and learn from.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
From what I can recall, Disney has wanted to distribute this film to Americans for a long, long time.

However, when it was reissued in the 1980's, the NAACP was pissed, claiming that it sugarcoated racism.

In a way, it is sad that Disney abandoned this film, especially since "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"'s one of their noted songs.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have it on laserdisc. It isn't just a product of its time; it was controversial while it was being made. I think it should be available, but I wouldn't want my daughter thinking that's what plantation life was really like. It's a complicated issue.