Some thoughts on Lithium...

NoWayHozay

Jan 5, 2009
I've been a fan of Lithium since it was introduced, but it seems to draw criticism from many listeners for pretty much the same reasons. In my opinion, Lithium needs to focus more on 90's rock and less on the AltNation/Spectrum part of their playlists.

First of all, I'd like to see the programmers get rid of the "Spectrum" bands like Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, U2, some of the chick rock, etc. There's already a channel for all that, and honestly, it doesn't fit. I hate when there's a good flow going and one of these rallykillers comes on.

Second, add some of the post-grunge bands and other (rock) bands that were active in the 90's/early 00's. This seems to be a forgotten era on Sirius, not old enough to be classics yet, and not new enough to be on Octane with any great regularity. Tool, Perfect Circle, RATM, Godsmack, Days of the New, Tantric and so forth. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little White Zombie or Monster Magnet or even Marilyn Manson once in a while.

Third, go just a bit deeper into the catalogs for the grunge bands. I know this against Sirius' philosophy, but during the day and in the evenings I could stand to hear some deeper tracks.

I know it'll never happen, but having a DJ would be nice every once in a while.

Anyone know the best way to get in touch with the channel programmers? Probably wouldn't change much, but it would be nice to try.

Reactions: Aaron

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Second, add some of the post-grunge bands and other (rock) bands that were active in the 90's/early 00's. This seems to be a forgotten era on Sirius, not old enough to be classics yet, and not new enough to be on Octane with any great regularity. Tool, Perfect Circle, RATM, Godsmack, Days of the New, Tantric and so forth. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little White Zombie or Monster Magnet or even Marilyn Manson once in a while.

Way with you on this. I've always felt that Lithium was too focused on 1993-1994.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I like that they include the alternative that I actually listen to in the 90s. I found the Sirius version unlistenable -- too much grunge. I don't want to have to listen to 00s alternative to hear 90s non-grunge alternative. Musicwise, I am pretty satisfied with Lithium now. Of course I was a Lucy fan from XM so the new Lithium is probably closer to that.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

I couldn't agree more. This used to be my favorite channel. Then, the merger happened and they really started to sound more like "THE PULSE" than a grunge channel. They need deeper playlists and I totally agree with your "post grunge" music addition. After all, it isn't a grunge channel anymore so why NOT add the music that came AFTER grunge, still rocked and was still in the late 90's.?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Once I heard that U2 song, I've decreased my listening of Lithium. I find this unfortunate because I, like many, loved this channel.

My efforts are now focused on exploring the other gazillion channels I haven't experienced yet.

greypen

Oct 21, 2009

I can only hope it'll never happen... another "AIIGHT IM MADISON" *shudder*. I agree with everything else though. Another sugestion would be to completely cut out those 15 second intermissions of "all those songs your girlfriend..." etc. (I think all stations could do with out that, would help to make it feel like more of a paid service than crappy FM.)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm with ya for about 97% of what you're saying. (I don't mind a little U2, they played em on the alt station I listened to in the 90's) Your tips would help them out a lot.
I tuned in the other day and they were playing Jamiroquai. Jamiroquai. Really?
Email Sirius programming. You'll get a chain email back, but I think it can't hurt to try.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I can only hope it'll never happen... another "AIIGHT IM MADISON" *shudder*. I agree with everything else though. Another sugestion would be to completely cut out those 15 second intermissions of "all those songs your girlfriend..." etc. (I think all stations could do with out that, would help to make it feel like more of a paid service than crappy FM.)

Fewer station IDs, especially on Lithium would be great. One station ID every 15 minutes is enough.

Edit - Jamiroquai on right now.

Last edited: