Soloist 'Antenna Not Detected'

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
The Soloist I got for Christmas isn't recognizing the antenna. It's not powering up the Echo Repeater antenna, either.

Could it be a defective unit?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So, you tried the antenna that came with it? I remember having problems with my outdoor home antenna with my Solist. The only antenna I could ever get to work with it was the one that came with it. I ended up having to put it on the roof of my house to get it to work with any consistency. I actually forgot about this until you brought it up again.

My suggestion is to take it somewhere that you can actually use the antenna that came with it and see if it picks up a signal. The one thing I do remember was that unless it actually picked up a signal instead of saying no signal or aquiring signal, it said no antenna or something like that.

I do not think yours is defective, I just think they have some sort of crappy antenna setup on these units.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
So you're thinking that 'Antenna Not Detected' = 'Acquiring Signal'?

The power light on the Echo Antenna didn't even come on when it was attached and the unit was powered on.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Ugh. From the TSS Radio order page...

In the past few months we have become aware of an issue that affects a small percentage of portable Sirius receivers when docked on the Soloist. Affected receivers will immediately display "Antenna Not Detected" message on the screen of your portable radio while other sounds such as channel announcements or device sounds play clearly. This is an issue with the way the Stiletto software recognizes an antenna signal. We are currently looking into resolving the issue but at the time being there does not seem to be a solution.

Again, we've found this issue in less than 5% of receivers at this time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So you're thinking that 'Antenna Not Detected' = 'Acquiring Signal'?

The power light on the Echo Antenna didn't even come on when it was attached and the unit was powered on.

I am not thinking it, that is exactly what it is! I messed with this thing for days. I finally just took the antenna outside and bam the second it was outside it started working. Took it back in and the same thing, no antenna.

I think much of it has to do with the fact tha the antenna port on that solist doesn't provide enough power to support the echo or even outdoor home antennas for that matter.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

In the past few months we have become aware of an issue that affects a small percentage of portable Sirius receivers when docked on the Soloist. Affected receivers will immediately display "Antenna Not Detected" message on the screen of your portable radio while other sounds such as channel announcements or device sounds play clearly. This is an issue with the way the Stiletto software recognizes an antenna signal. We are currently looking into resolving the issue but at the time being there does not seem to be a solution.

That sounds like a logical explaination, but I still think it has to do with the amount of power given to the antenna port on the Soloist. This makes it sound like it is the radio rather than the solist. Not so sure I buy that explaination!

How is it I was able to get it to work if what this says is true? I did a lot of testing and like I said having the antenna that came with it connected and putting that antenna outside worked! It requires a very strong signal or else you'll get no antenna detected.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I am not thinking it, that is exactly what it is! I messed with this thing for days. I finally just took the antenna outside and bam the second it was outside it started working. Took it back in and the same thing, no antenna.

I think much of it has to do with the fact tha the antenna port on that solist doesn't provide enough power to support the echo or even outdoor home antennas for that matter.

Ugh. I want to use this thing as my bedside alarm clock with the SL2, and I can't run the included antenna outside of my bedroom window.

Grr...

Might be TTR1 time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ugh. I want to use this thing as my bedside alarm clock with the SL2, and I can't run the included antenna outside of my bedroom window.

Grr...

Might be TTR1 time.

I agree it is a pain in the ass, but I think if you do it, you'll find it works! None the less the TTR1 might be a better solution for you!

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I'll keep playing around. The Soloist wouldn't be a bad living room radio, either, and the antenna sitch there would be ok.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'll keep playing around. The Soloist wouldn't be a bad living room radio, either, and the antenna sitch there would be ok.

Have you been able to get a signal at all following my suggestion? I was really pissed about this thing because I had previously run an outdoor home antenna to my bedroom and living room. It worked with other docks, just not the soloist!

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Have you been able to get a signal at all following my suggestion? I was really pissed about this thing because I had previously run an outdoor home antenna to my bedroom and living room. It worked with other docks, just not the soloist!

Too ensconced in the BTVS marathon on Logo/Rose Bowl remote flipping to drag the thing around. Tomorrow morning for sure.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
The Stiletto sees the Soloist as a car dock.... Anytime the Stiletto is docked in a car dock, and doesn't receive a signal, it displays "Antenna not Detected". I've used the Soloist with every antenna you can imagine. It definitely does not have to use the included antenna to work. You are getting that message most likely because you are indoors, and not getting a signal where you are. I don't know about the the Echo system, as I've never had one, but I feel certain that if you connect a wired antenna to the soloist, and move the antenna outside where it gets a clear view of the sky, the message will go away. If not, sometimes you have to wiggle the stiletto in the dock. Also, it takes several seconds after docking the stiletto for that message to go away, and start receiving live radio.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
The Stiletto sees the Soloist as a car dock.... Anytime the Stiletto is docked in a car dock, and doesn't receive a signal, it displays "Antenna not Detected". I've used the Soloist with every antenna you can imagine. It definitely does not have to use the included antenna to work. You are getting that message most likely because you are indoors, and not getting a signal where you are. I don't know about the the Echo system, as I've never had one, but I feel certain that if you connect a wired antenna to the soloist, and move the antenna outside where it gets a clear view of the sky, the message will go away. If not, sometimes you have to wiggle the stiletto in the dock. Also, it takes several seconds after docking the stiletto for that message to go away, and start receiving live radio.

I'm using the SL2 without the adapter plate. Could that make any difference?

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
OK, I moved this thing outside today, and it still can't get a signal or detect the antenna. Time to swap it out and see what that does.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I'm using the SL2 without the adapter plate. Could that make any difference?

No that doesn't make any difference.

OK, I moved this thing outside today, and it still can't get a signal or detect the antenna. Time to swap it out and see what that does.

That's too bad. These things are getting scarce. Sirius does have a knack of discontinuing things people want to buy.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
No that doesn't make any difference.

That's too bad. These things are getting scarce. Sirius does have a knack of discontinuing things people want to buy.

They aren't too hard to find out there. I wish I had picked one up at Circuit City back in the day when they were on clearance.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Well I'd certainly say you've got a bad one all together. While they are sensitive having that antenna outside should have worked for you. I have two of these and that resolve the issue with both. I have one at the office and had one in my bedroom, but I gave it to my son. Now he uses it in his bedroom.

Now I am using a JVC iPod Dock and just streaming my music via my iPod Touch or iPhone 3GS. Best solution I ever had because I am no longer stuck with just sat radio using this setup! I love having a choice between Slacker, Pandora, Sirius or even my own personal music mix.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Hmmm...