So where did this latest Ellis/Bubba rivalry come from??

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I am casually switching between both shows today, and I hear ellis talking about bubba, and I hear bubba talking about ellis. and lately bubba has been taking lots of shots at ellis. I'm guessing he's kinda insecure about ellis taking a nice amount of his sirius afternoon audience.

anyone else know anything.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing.

Either way, Ellis would demolish him.

r e d d r a g o n s

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I am casually switching between both shows today, and I hear ellis talking about bubba, and I hear bubba talking about ellis. and lately bubba has been taking lots of shots at ellis. I'm guessing he's kinda insecure about ellis taking a nice amount of his sirius afternoon audience.

anyone else know anything.

Here's the basics:

Last year, Bubba was doing the FM show from 6-10, then Monday - Thursday, he'd do a show on Sirius from 3-7, and Fridays from 10-2.

He'd leave for work around 5 AM, if not before, and not get back home until after the Sirius show ended at 7 PM.

Being away from the wife and kids for over 13 hours a day was tiring for him and everyone else.

Around October of last year, he started to negotiate a new contract. This contract that he's in with the repackaged stuff Monday - Thursday with a live show on Friday was the last, last, last option for him to remain on Sirius. Seeing as a crucial part of his Sirius audience are long-haul truckers, podcast really wasn't a viable option.

Anyway, a few fans got pissed off at Bubba (why is anyone's guess, they should be pissed off at Sirius) and started listening to Jason Ellis.

This feud is totally childish. It reminds me of the Howard vs O&A stuff from yesteryear. All the Ellis people are doing is saying "Don't watch this show on HBO, watch this other one."

At the end of the day, who gives a crap what people listen to? It's all the same family. Do the Shade 45 people go around saying they're better than the Hip-Hop Nation people?

As Bubba said, don't focus on where you want to go. Focus on the now. Focus on making your show better. Does a football team come out in September and say they're going to win the NCAA championship? What the good teams do is take care of their first opponent, then focus on their second one.

The real fans stick with something/someone until the end. There's a lot of people out there who are like the fans that don't show up for a sports team when they have 5 losing seasons in a row after winning the Super Bowl. Really, how many people heard of Ellis before January?

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
It's more directed towards the fans that on one hand trash Bubba's show, and then rave about Ellis.

Bubba's only issue with Ellis himself is that he talks about Howard "passing the torch" to him, etc.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's more directed towards the fans that on one hand trash Bubba's show, and then rave about Ellis.

Bubba's only issue with Ellis himself is that he talks about Howard "passing the torch" to him, etc.

Exactly.

Just like O&A and Howard get along in real life, I think this "feud" is mostly directed FROM the Ellis fans towards the Bubba fans (or Bubba himself.)

Time will tell. Let's see where people end up.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
and I hear ellis talking about bubba
I didn't hear that. I hope he realizes it's nothing personal for the most part.
Exactly.

Just like O&A and Howard get along in real life, I think this "feud" is mostly directed FROM the Ellis fans towards the Bubba fans (or Bubba himself.)

Time will tell. Let's see where people end up.
It's very much a listener driven rivalry.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Here's the basics:

Last year, Bubba was doing the FM show from 6-10, then Monday - Thursday, he'd do a show on Sirius from 3-7, and Fridays from 10-2.

He'd leave for work around 5 AM, if not before, and not get back home until after the Sirius show ended at 7 PM.

Being away from the wife and kids for over 13 hours a day was tiring for him and everyone else.

Around October of last year, he started to negotiate a new contract. This contract that he's in with the repackaged stuff Monday - Thursday with a live show on Friday was the last, last, last option for him to remain on Sirius. Seeing as a crucial part of his Sirius audience are long-haul truckers, podcast really wasn't a viable option.

Anyway, a few fans got pissed off at Bubba (why is anyone's guess, they should be pissed off at Sirius) and started listening to Jason Ellis.

This feud is totally childish. It reminds me of the Howard vs O&A stuff from yesteryear. All the Ellis people are doing is saying "Don't watch this show on HBO, watch this other one."

At the end of the day, who gives a crap what people listen to? It's all the same family. Do the Shade 45 people go around saying they're better than the Hip-Hop Nation people?

As Bubba said, don't focus on where you want to go. Focus on the now. Focus on making your show better. Does a football team come out in September and say they're going to win the NCAA championship? What the good teams do is take care of their first opponent, then focus on their second one.

The real fans stick with something/someone until the end. There's a lot of people out there who are like the fans that don't show up for a sports team when they have 5 losing seasons in a row after winning the Super Bowl. Really, how many people heard of Ellis before January?

While this may be true for some, I'm not going to go into huge detail again but I'll say this. The Bubba show is different now Mon - thurday. Very Tampa centric and WAY TOO MUCH HOOTIE!!! I have no problems with Bubba's deal. he got screwed I would have done the same thing.
Only problem is, a lot of people like myself don't like what Sirius was offering us at 3pm for our Bubba fix so we went looking for something else. We found Ellis.
End of story.
Is the feud dumb? Yeah. Entertaining so long as it doesn't get stupidly out of had. Yeah.
Are a lot of fans way over the top on both sides? Totally.
I like both. I only listen to Bubba on Friday no and not even that much. It just doesn't interest me much anymore.
Ellis I look forward to Monday to Friday.
I blame Sirius for the fans Bubba lost. They dropped the ball and Bubba payed the price. Yes it was only January when a lot of us heard of him but thats only because there wasn't anything else on we wanted to listen to at that time. Sirius took away the show we liked.

I'm also a 'real fan' of any radio show that entertains me and the only doing that for me these days at 3 is Jason Ellis.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Here's the basics:

They don't want to be team players. They want a personal following. Why? Just in case they switch "teams" in the future.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
my question, is how much of bubba's satellite audience do you think went to faction for afternoon drive?

I'd say quite a bit. If I had to guess I'd say about a 3rd, maybe? Thats just based on messaged boards and people calling into Ellis. So its not scientific lol
As I've stated before I don't think its an Anti-Bubba thing with most listeners so much as it was the fact that listeners didn't like the new product Sirius was offering them at 3PM on 101. They got over it and moved on. End of story.. I'll check out Bubba at 2 but never for very long. Usually only when Ellis plays some songs.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I know I made the transition btw Bubber and Ellis... Never looked back.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Not as many as board people would have you believe I imagine. And I'm sure plenty of people flip back and forth. People need something to bitch about. :jj:

Exactly.

If it wasn't "Bubba's a used-car salesman, bamboozler extreme" it would be "He's a Howard rip-off, copycat, who can't think of anything new. It's the same schtick from 2006, which was Howard's show back in 1996. Yawn."

People have been bitching since the dawn of time about something.

"Where's Billy? Who the F is this Jackie guy? Jackie SUCKS!"
"Who's this Artie guy? We want Jackie!"

1995 - "Howard is washed up. He's done. He'll quit at the end of the year. Opie and Anthony are SO MUCH BETTER."
1999 - "Howard is washed up. It's the same tired act for the past 10 years. Give it up already. XM 202, O&A are so much better and they also have RON AND FEZ AFTERNOONS!"
2005 - "The tapes team is lazy, Hamptons Howie needs to retire. Ellis is so much better."