So what do we know, suspect, and hope for so far for January 15th

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
We KNOW that Sirius and XM will both be getting The Strobe and Backspin, most likely in the places that classic dance and hip-hop used to be at (Sirius 37/XM 83 for The Strobe and Sirius 43/XM 65 for Backspin.

We pretty well know that Pop2K will be cut from Sirius, and also suspect that Cinemagic may be a second Sirius casulty (though that is far from confirmed).

We also don't expect any music channels at all to be cut from XM.

We SUSPECT that some talk channels may be merged, and that all channels that are alike may not survive. For instance, we suspect that the Left and Right-Winged Channels on Sirius and XM may be merged together. CNN, Fox News, BBC News, Bloomberg, CNBC-will they all survive? We KNOW that FOX Business News is already gone from XM (we also know that no one misses it).

We (or at least I) HOPE that the Sirius-only channels Out-Q and NPR Talk are to be joining XM.

And last but not least, The Bridge is going to be pre-empted once again, this time for Britney Spears Radio.

OK, just kidding on that last one. Or am I?

Last edited:
Reactions: HCLogo

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Also hoping to see Boneyard return on January 15, in place of AC/DC Radio.

Yeah. I forgot about that. I wonder how they plan to make Boneyard differ from "Hair Nation?" I guess Boneyard will mix in some older hard rock from the late sixties and seventies kind of like Buzzsaw on Sirius used to. Hair Nation is almost exclusively 80s stuff.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Are you sure about Cinemagic? I was happy this was now on sirius.

No, I am not sure. I am going by two things:

1) On Cinemagic, they only refer to it as "XM 76". They never mention the Sirius channel (81 I think) or Sirius radio at all.

2) On DISH Newtork, where Cinemagic is located (6081), it does not say "Cinemagic". It says "Coming soon- The Strobe"

These to me are hints that Cinemagic may not be sticking around on Sirius. But of course these things could mean nothing and the channel could stay. I hope it sticks around for you.

Last edited:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I e-mailed Dave Z. to get a response on what is going to happen to Cinemagic on SIRIUS, and I still haven't received a response... Don't expect to get one either.

That is my one and only concern about the upcoming update. Cinemagic is a unique channel (there is NO duplicate or remotely similar channel for it), and taking it away from SIRIUS would be a huge mistake. They could at least keep it on the Internet feed. Even if they did just that, I would be 100% satisfied.

So what am I hoping for from the January 15th update? Keeping my Cinemagic (and getting the new Boneyard channel).

I could care less about losing Pop2K (isn't that what the SIRIUS Hits 1 channel is for?)

Side-note: I have fallen in love with Cinemagic for the few days I have listened since it came to SIRIUS, and if SIRIUS decides to take the channel off and leave it on XM exclusively, I guess I will have no choice but to get an XM internet subscription. It will be (excuse my language) fucking bullshit if I have to pay $7.99/month, though.

Other than that, I'm still keeping my hopes up. :)

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I haven't seen any concrete evidence about the loss of Cinemagic and Pop2k. It's very possible they will be eliminated from the SIRIUS end of things but until I find out the official word I wouldn't assume.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm just savoring every minute of it while it's still here on SIRIUS. That's all I play when I'm at the house.

When I'm at work, I still switch it over to Howard (he goes live at 2 AM where I live, and that works perfectly with my work schedule since by the time The Wrap-Up Show ends, I'm ready to go home and get some sleep. :)

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
BTW, I also think something may happen with XM 20 on 20 and Sirius Hits 1..we might see them combined on the 15th with a new name.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
BTW, I also think something may happen with XM 20 on 20 and Sirius Hits 1..we might see them combined on the 15th with a new name.

I hear XM's 20 on 20 is modeled after WorldSpace's 40 on 40. Maybe they will merge the two (20 on 20 and SIRIUS Hits 1) and just call it SIRIUS XM Hits?

Who knows? I nervously await the 15th.

nightowl

Nov 11, 2008
I haven't seen any concrete evidence about the loss of Cinemagic and Pop2k. It's very possible they will be eliminated from the SIRIUS end of things but until I find out the official word I wouldn't assume.

Why would they eliminate it on the Sirius side if they just gave it to the XM side a few months ago? I would think (there I go again), that since they moved that one over to XM it would be a more logical channel to keep than Sirius Hits 1? Why port it over to the other service just to cut it from the old side so soon? If they are supposed to be merging the services, I would look for the exclusive channels to come over to the other side (whichever side doesn't have them), or go away. Maybe not all in this go-around, but soon.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
Its nice to have Cinemagic back. I just wish they fix the wallpaper on the songs saved to my Inno

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
When I asked him about The Morning Mashup joining XM, Jon Zellner told me via an email that Pop2K was leaving SIRIUS in January. He didn't state a date, but if the other channels are changing Jan. 15th, I'm assuming that's the day. These days, an email from someone that high up is about as "official" of a word as we get.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well once again this appears to be a change they will make keeping subscribers in the dark.

Anyway... The only indications I've seen seem to say they will bring back two channels and will like remove one or two channels when they do.

Rumors is all we have on them doing anything in regards to the talk/entertainment channels. So, I don't know if that will happen or not. If it is going to happen then clearly they didn't learn anything from keeping everyone in the dark the last time they did a channel shake up.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I have fallen in love with Cinemagic. If this channel disappears from my Sirius lineup on the 15th or at all, I will be really upset. Why put it on Sirius at all if it was being removed? Just to tease us?

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Well man there is the option of purchasing a XM reciver because the music is pretty much the same on both with a few exceptions.