So sirius customer support sucks

MikeyGann

Oct 30, 2008
Their phone support is closed while i have the oppourtunity to call, and their email staff wasn't much help. They requested more info from me and when i sent in the info they never responded again(2 weeks ago)

Maybe one of you fine gentlemen can help me.

I'm a sirius subscriber. I have 2 vehicles with sirius installed. I also have another line for my brother on my account (Which he doesnt live with me).

Anyways.

I work in Gilbert Arizona. The Zip code is 85233. Very close to Phoenix (10 miles maybe?) I understand there is a ground repeater somewhere in Phoenix Arizona.

I cannot listen to streaming music radio at work. I do not have access to put an antenna out a window. My office is directly in the middle of a large office building. I have no windows. I am on the top floor however.

I'm wanting to buy a stiletto 2 and listen to radio at work. I want to know what kind of reception I would receive inside my office away from any windows. I understand the ground repeaters may be of help, but i still lose signal in my vehicles when i go under a bridge or under the gas station awning.

Also if i were to buy it do they have a generous return policy? I dont want a 300 dollar hunk of shit that I cant use and be stuck with it.

If anyone can give me an answer either way. Just to get it out of the way. Antenna out a window... not an option. Streaming internet radio.... not an option. One of the radio booster things that work much like a wireless router... not an option. Wifi.... not an option.

So should i buy a stilleto or stick with crappy ass fm radio?

Last edited:

jcramin

Oct 22, 2008
I was really worried about Sirius Phone Support people when I got my Stiletto 2 and I was having problems hooking it up to WiFi and the guy I was talking to at Sirius phone support didnt even know what WiFi was. He kept telling me to turn off my Virus scan and Firewall on my Computer and I tried to explain that the computer has nothing to do with my radio not connecting to my router, and he kept insisting I turn off the stuff on my computer. I gave up and figured it out myself

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am lucky to have a repeater for live reception at work. However, when I go places that do not have reception, I listen to pre-recorded content. You can record a program overnight for example and listen the next day.

One more note, If one of your other Sirius radios gets repeater reception, the SL2 will too. And even if you got a hold of Sirius CS, their CSRs are paid like $2/week and work in some 3rd world sweatshop. They would likely not be of much assistance in matters like that. :)

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I've actually had good luck with sirius support lately. The really odd thing was that the operators actually sounded like they were in America, rather than some guy with an accent so thick I can't understand him that says, "hello, my name is Steve".

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Is it really a big deal to you to listen to it LIVE?

I mean your stiletto will automatically record music from your favorite channel presets, whether you want it to or not, and you'll be able to listen to your favorite channels at work. Sure, you won't be hearing the exact same thing that is being played live, but does that really matter?

As for shows, you can record overnight and listen the next day. Most shows are replayed overnight on many talk channels. I always listen to Howard a day late at work.

To answer your question, the stilletto will not get any reception at work, that would be my guess. You might be lucky enough to tap into your company's WiFi, but that would tchnecally be streaming audio and against company rules.

Last edited:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I was really worried about Sirius Phone Support people when I got my Stiletto 2 and I was having problems hooking it up to WiFi and the guy I was talking to at Sirius phone support didnt even know what WiFi was. He kept telling me to turn off my Virus scan and Firewall on my Computer and I tried to explain that the computer has nothing to do with my radio not connecting to my router, and he kept insisting I turn off the stuff on my computer. I gave up and figured it out myself

Same thing with me when I had a problem. It was obvious they had a set of canned answers to recite to customers.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I live in Phoenix also and yes there is a ground repeater in downtown Phoenix. I believe it on the Chase Building? Also I heard rumor that Phoenix was getting another ground repeater, which might be closer to you. But I think I heard it on one of the mountains near Tempe Diablo Stadium?

But I use to work in uptown Phoenix and worked on the 12th floor not really close to a window, but I got a create reception where I use to work. Now I work in north Phoenix about 15 miles away and I get no reception at all. I am next to a window but still no signal, I also found out there alot of things in the roof that can block the signal. Also my coworkers get a bad signal on there FM radios.

But anyway, I have a Stiletto 2 and have the same problems you do. Can't stream online, can't get a damn signal next to the window, found wifi in my building but I need password to access and the wireless router wouldn't do much at my work. So for now I use it for my car and home, I just load music and record Stern at night into my Stiletto 2 or listen to my iPod.

It up to you if you want to buy the Stiletto 2?

Last edited:

MikeyGann

Oct 30, 2008
ya

No wifi at my work unfortunately. Which is strange because I work for one of the biggest internet companies in the US. By far the most successful at what we do. We're huge on security I guess.

I started streaming radio at work on my computer. Hopefully I won't get caught but i decided FM talk radio sucks too much. I get away with a lot at work and i know coworkers listen to Pandora so i figured what the hell.

The biggest reason i wanted a stiletto was to listen to Scott Ferrall on Howard 101. I dont get a chance to listen to him with my new second shift schedule and i miss him. Bubba the love sponge is awesome dont get me wrong, but i love sports and Ferrall. SHAKEITUPPP. I guess i'll stick with my Ipod and streaming radio. :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

MikeyGann

Oct 30, 2008
By the way the Chase Building makes a ton of sense. When you go under the tunnel on the ten you dont lose reception. I've never really thought about it but the Chase Building is pretty close to the tunnel.

Funny thing is I used to work for Chase Bank and was in that building a lot... :)

davejulien

Oct 12, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Buy the cheapest radio you can and get Replay AV and record from your computer at home. Take the recordings and put them on an MP3 player or maybe even your cell phone if it has the ability to play MP3's. Heck, maybe even play them on your work computer.

I currently have a Stiletto 2 but after all my radio's die(3 swaps) I'll probably just do all recordings from the Internet and just transfer to my phone. Best part is only 1 device to deal with.

I recently got this new cell phone called the HTC Touch Diamond Pro. It's a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone from Sprint. What I like about it is that I can connect to my PC via wifi and copy the recordings in just a few minutes. It's very nice. Save your $300 and get this phone for that price. I think you will like it.

Here's a link to Replay AV. Try it out and I think you'll find it's worth the $50 they charge for the software. Record Internet Radio, Video & More with Replay AV

summejs

Oct 23, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, contact TSS if they haven't responded already! They're wonderful!! They helped me out with my stiletto the other day and all sirius reponded with was an 800 number!! (I'm too impatient to wait on the phone, so I always try email first). Good luck!

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
TSS totally kicks azz with hardware. Unfortunately Sirius is the worst with customer support. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop before I post yesterday's nightmare. To sum things up I'm currently on a customer care demo while they fix the billing errors. :confused:

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
Actually, Sirius has been getting a lot better with Customer Support in my experience. They still are no where near as good as the staff at TSS-Radio but they are slowly getting there! I have tremendous confidence that this upcoming year we will see major improvements on all fronts at Sirius XM. Don't lose the faith folks.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
Actually, Sirius has been getting a lot better with Customer Support in my experience. They still are no where near as good as the staff at TSS-Radio but they are slowly getting there! I have tremendous confidence that this upcoming year we will see major improvements on all fronts at Sirius XM. Don't lose the faith folks.

I agree, I have heard better things from people talking to them. SIRIUSXM does encourage feedback more now, IMO anyway, than in the past.