Smart Watches!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
OK, now that Apple has unleashed their version of the smart watch. it's time to compare and contrast.
The Droid watches have been out for a little while, and there are some 3rd parties like Pebble that are making watches that work with more than one OS.

We've got a pretty good traditional watch thread going, so this should be a good fit for us.

Who's making a better looking watch?
Who's watch has (or seems to have) better features?
Are they just a passing fad?
What are these watches going to need to do to stand the test of time?
Screen%20Shot%202014-09-09%20at%2012.04.43%20PM.png

Google-Android-Wear-smart-watch-350px.jpg

photo-main.jpg

Some of these kind of look badass if they actually work.

smartwatch-concept-1.jpg

Samsung-smart-watch-design-concept.jpg

1.-Smartwatch.jpg

Reactions: Ehilbert1 and Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
As I mentioned it before, I am a watch guy but I really don't own any real fancy watch. But finally the technology has reached to the watches like as seen from movies and tv shows. I'm looking forward towards the Apple Watch, all I think it missing is video chat.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I listed the pros. The things I'd like added? Audio. I'd like to be able to use the watch as a mic for voice commands. I read texts on it, but I have to use my phone to reply.

I don't need color. Round looks cool until you see text presented on it. Thinner is better.

I don't want a phone built into the watch. A phone is useful when you need to talk to someone. A watch can only ever be a speaker phone.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Apple released more details on their watch today. The detail I can't get past is the cost. $1050 for a steel watch with a traditional steel band ($450 for the band, $600 for the watch). That seems way too high.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
My bad. You can get the steel watch and band for $999 as a set. I couldn't see how to scroll over to it on the Apple watch store web site.

Now it seems like a bargain.

Reactions: Casual Fan

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Considering that the phone is supposed to be the brains behind the watches, and the less than stellar (IMHO) design of them, the price seems way too high to me too. (Bundled or not.)
I'm sure they will sell a ton of them though. One day of battery seems weak to me too.
I was really hoping that they would have something in the badass category that I posted above.

Reactions: blyons200