Slacker -vs- Pandora -vs- last.fm

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by roscoryan, Oct 21, 2008.

?

Which Internet Radio service do you prefer?

1. Slacker

47 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Pandora

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. last.fm

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Other

12 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Member

I hope you make app for the Android OS too. I just recently got myself the T-mobile G1. The only thing they have now is Imeem and compatiable program for last.fm.
  2. On the software player I have a problem often of.......when I am in "now playing" tab. If I move to "stations" tab. The stations will not display. It stays in the "now playing" view. Kind of annoying. That is not a problem in the web player. I prefer the software player, but the Slacker forum does say no more updates for software player. Apparently it is much easier for Slacker to update the web version even weekly if they want. So I don't expect them to fix the issue I experience in the software player. I have not had web player issues. Due to the issue I mentioned above. I'm trying to move myself over slowly to the web player :bigcry:

Like a addict weaning himself of excessive drug use.
  3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Strange I've never had this issue. But have had the issue of the channels individual channels not showing up in the station tab on the web version. The tab opens and any open categories will show the channels, but if you then try to open a category it will appear empty. The only way to get the channels to show up is to refresh the web player. I've not seen this issue with the software version.

Clearly the web version is more simple to keep updated!
  4. Seems slacker has added a "buy" button next to track you are listening to. Not something I will use. I wonder if I can remove the button somehow. I see it in the web version. It is not in the software player to further confirm they are not updating that version player anymore.
  5. mch

mch Member

I like last.fm because all my friends are on it. *shrug*

Seems to have a really thorough library too. I have friends who listen to some strange, really obscure stuff and it doesn't seem to have any problems with it.
  6. leviramsey

leviramsey New Member

I like last.fm (so much so that I haven't tried Pandora or Slacker).

The scrobbling feature is the best part: the ability to create a personal station practically from the get-go is awesome. The depth of info available (including on such things as how similar a pair of artists are) is cool, as are the community features.
  7. scroat

scroat New Member

I really like slacker and last fm I actually use the two together with the last slacker feature (it scrobbles the tracks played on slacker to your last.fm profile). The ads annoy me on slacker as does the "feature" where it stops playing after so many minutes (hours?) and you have to click to continue listening but I really like interface, it just looks really slick and professional. I mostly use the artist + similar artist type stations I have occasionally ran into some pretty weird combinations mostly when I listen to relatively unknown bands (I heard a rap song while listening to an alt country artist for example). Last.fm is limited in their selection at times but I like the idea of having everything I listen to added to my profile and getting recommendations based on what I have listened to. I really wish I could find away to scrobble from XMRO.

Oh, and I havent really messed with Pandora much recently, I did several years ago but I was kind of turned off by the amount of repeats I heard. I still use it once in a blue moon though.
  8. jcc

jcc New Member

I like both last. fm and Pandora but both have its flaws. On my ipod touch, which I asoutely love since getting it for Christmas and finally figuring out how to detect my wireless network on it, last.fm sometimes crashes. As for Pandora, which currently I'm using on my ipod touch, you can only skip songs six times per hour vs last.fm where you can skip unlimited amount of times. I was using mainly using last.fm but now I'm using Pandora

Anynody know when the slacker app will come out for the ipod touch and whether it will be free? When it comes out I'll no longer use Pandora
  9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Slacker, Pandora or Last.fm

Yes. :D
  10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It's out today, and is free on iTunes.
  11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

For Streaming right now I prefer Slacker and a very close 2nd would be Pandora.

I have never cared much for Last.FM, but I've never really given it much of a chance either.
  12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

What I do like about Last.fm is the whole social networking thing, if I have a favorite band (we'll use R.E.M. as an example) I can search out other R.E.M. fans and find stuff in their collection that I might like that is related. Slacker is similar in that you can sync someone's custom station and listen then get ideas on what to listen to from that. I've already found a few favorite bands going that route.
  13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thanks Jon you've sparked my interest to check it out more! :)
  14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Glad I could help. :)
  15. JMII

JMII Member

I was once a Pandora fan till I found out about Slacker, since then I haven't touched Pandora but I did recommend it to friends due to the iPhone app. However now that Slacker has an iPhone app too I'll be recommending it even more.

Slacker just offers more control then Pandora with the ability to fine tune your stations. In addition (for whatever reason) my Slacker stations played song I liked more then Pandora. Slacker's portable player also makes it a more attractive option since you can load it up and use on a plane or someplace else where there is no WiFi.

Never tried Last.fm or any another services... in fact I only found out about Pandora after it shot to the top of "free" apps on iTunes. I forget where I first saw Slacker mentioned, but it might have been on a PlayStation forum in regards to listening to internet radio via the PS3's web browser which lacks the needed Flash support.
    mrpacs likes this.
  16. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Pandora has this capability as well.
  17. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

My very same thoughts!
  18. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

There is one way that Pandora shines above Slacker in that is being able to specific particular sub genres or classes of music from an artist. For example during the holidays, I was able to make a really kicking new age Christmas channel. You type in the artist (holiday) and it will only play that artist holiday music. You can't do this with Slacker. You can select specific songs in Slacker if available and we know that much of the music that is available in the Slacker library isn't available on the song request features.

I prefer Slacker because of the additional ability to customize channels, request specific songs and artist. But the biggest reason is that no matter how much customizing I've done thumbing up and thumbing down I get repeats like crazy on Pandora. Some channels are worse than others and YES I've added artist to give a bigger seed of artist. Still get repeats.

Anyway... Slacker has won me over and the iPod Touch application has sealed the deal! This isn't to say I won't ever listen to Pandora, but not like I do Slacker.
  19. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can easily say I'll be listening to a lot of Slacker when I do finally get my iPhone, it'll make a nice companion to my collection, and will allow me to add more new music to my personal stash.
  20. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

I am really listening to slacker alot more now. The SQ is alot better than pandora's. I also don't mind the one comercial every half hour on the free version web player.