Slacker Spotlight (Sabbatical) Until Further Notice

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hi guys!

I really want to take this time to thank all of you who have participated in the Slacker Spotlight. This was a knock off from the Walk The Dog, which seem to do very well. However in all honesty the Slacker Spotlight version just never took off. Jliemer faithfully picked stations, but the interest was clearly not there. I thank him for all his efforts.

We have decided to put the Spotlight on sabbatical for now and we'll decide later rather it will return or not. This area will remain open for discussion about Slacker music stations. So, if you like a station or don't like a station start a thread and maybe some of us will join in.

Again thanks and maybe we'll be back with something new and maybe not!

Peace Out!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the difference is with Walk the Dog you have maybe 70-80 channels to pick from. It will be known to run for a fixed period of time. With Slacker, or any internet based music source, where channel numbers are effectively unlimited, it wouldn't have the same lure of 'limited time'. Also with all the customisation possible on Slacker, would I be listening to the station you would (if I could listen of course)? My thoughts.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I think the difference is with Walk the Dog you have maybe 70-80 channels to pick from. It will be known to run for a fixed period of time. With Slacker, or any internet based music source, where channel numbers are effectively unlimited, it wouldn't have the same lure of 'limited time'. Also with all the customisation possible on Slacker, would I be listening to the station you would (if I could listen of course)? My thoughts.

:bigthumbup:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
With Slacker you have about 100-120 music channels to choose from, that are actually Slacker's channels. Plus the infinite numbers of custom channels (I have about a dozen myself) posted on DRC and the Slacker forums. Channel selection is not an issue. If more people are like me, and grow tired of the limited playlists and selection on SiriusXM, they may switch, if in fact, they aren't in Canada. I don't know what the timeline is for Canadian service, and haven't paid a visit to the Slacker forums in quite sometime, although I am following a few Slackers on Twitter. Once they know, they'll post it there. And once I know, I'll post it here, unless someone like DAB beats me to it. :D

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Yes, I think you are correct! :yesshake:

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Thanks to everyone who participated in the spotlight weekly, and I tried my best to spotlight a various variety of stations but I knew this was going to be tough. Thanks to DAB for this opportunity. Now with that being said I open up this to you guys . What did you like about the spotlight and what did you not like about the spotlight.

oncesir

Nov 12, 2008
I just recently started checking out the Spotlight. IMHO it was a good change of pace and, in some cases, a way to remember or discover new music. It seems to me that the majority of the Slacker based forums have slowed down traffic-wise. Here it has slowed to a snails pace and its not much faster on the actual Slacker site. I guess that means that us Slackers are happy with the service???? I am, with just a few small complaints.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I haven't been to the Slacker site recently, most of my news comes from here or Twitter and I'm pretty well pleased overall with the service, whereas the complainers are the ones who use that type of forum the most.