Slacker Radio on Your BlackBerry

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah that will be cool having not only Sirius XM, but Slacker and Pandora all on the iPod Touch!

SWEET!

xyzzy

Dec 16, 2008
Out of curiosity I tried to replace "Blackberry" with "iPhone" and it works - but says that the link is "Coming Soon". Can't wait!

Slacker Personal Radio - Slacker Radio on iPhone and iPod Touch

Edit to add that I do see that while the Blackberry app lists untethered capabilities, the iPhone app does not. I don't think many will be shocked by this, but many of us were at least hopeful...

Last edited:

xyzzy

Dec 16, 2008
I just went to the Slacker site and there is actually a link to the iPhone page at the bottom of the main page. So, I guess it wasn't very clever of me - I just did it the hard way! I'm kinda slow that way. :rofl:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am a bit confused about something I read. Someone posted that only on the Blackberry will it let you cache the music to the device for later playback? Does this mean that the iPhone/iPod Touch version isn't going to download music to the device for later playback? This would mean it would have to stream the music? I am misunderstanding?

xyzzy

Dec 16, 2008
You have it correct. The Blackberry can cache, but the iPhone app would be a "stream only" similar to the Web Player. Definitely not the best situation, but was expected by many.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Anyone know if IPhone app will support IPod touch as well?

Anything for Windows 6.* mobile devices in the rumor mill?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You have it correct. The Blackberry can cache, but the iPhone app would be a "stream only" similar to the Web Player. Definitely not the best situation, but was expected by many.
Yeah, I guess I did expect that, but was hoping Apple would actually do something right instead of trying to always be such a protectionist company. I am glad I got my Slacker then, because while streaming would be good, it isn't always the best solution.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the iPod Touch since it has Wifi and doesn't require any of the hardware specific to the iPhone to work. Most applications work on the iPod Touch unless they make use of GPS or Phone calling features etc.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Yeah, I guess I did expect that, but was hoping Apple would actually do something right instead of trying to always be such a protectionist company. I am glad I got my Slacker then, because while streaming would be good, it isn't always the best solution.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the iPod Touch since it has Wifi and doesn't require any of the hardware specific to the iPhone to work. Most applications work on the iPod Touch unless they make use of GPS or Phone calling features etc.
Too bad on the streaming only, a touchscreen IPod slacker would be sooo sweet.

Oct 29, 2008

Anything for Windows 6.* mobile devices in the rumor mill?
Yes both are definitely going to be supported. In fact I was surprised this was not released before the BB. Slacker labs has a beta download for the iphone/touch. They should be releasing the final version though very soon.

slacker labs - Slacker Labs
I'm not interested in this so I had no reason to try beta. I am pretty sure it is open to the public if you want to try it. If you can't wait for the final version.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Yes both are definitely going to be supported. In fact I was surprised this was not released before the BB. Slacker labs has a beta download for the iphone/touch. They should be releasing the final version though very soon.

slacker labs - Slacker Labs
I'm not interested in this so I had no reason to try beta. I am pretty sure it is open to the public if you want to try it. If you can't wait for the final version.
Sweet!
Hopefully the WinMob allows the ability to cache stations, then I'll have a touch screen slacker! Ooohh, maybe even bluetooth audio!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sweet!
Hopefully the WinMob allows the ability to cache stations, then I'll have a touch screen slacker! Ooohh, maybe even bluetooth audio!
Well they are saying that the caching of station is going to be exclusive to Blackberry so I wouldn't bet on it.

Makes you wonder if the issue was really Apple or an exclusive deal? Either way it doesn't change that fact that Apple is a very protectionist company.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Well they are saying that the caching of station is going to be exclusive to Blackberry so I wouldn't bet on it.

Makes you wonder if the issue was really Apple or an exclusive deal? Either way it doesn't change that fact that Apple is a very protectionist company.
Agreed.
As it would appear, so is BB.

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Slacker on iPhone

The Slacker on the iPhone is going to be very cool. Sirius and XM better get their own going or they are going to be passed by.