Slacker Radio (Continues to Lag Behind Pandora)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This post from RomeE seems they tried, but Pandora is Apple's golden child, so theirs got approved and Slacker is still pending!
RomeE said:
We did submit a iOS 4.0 app update to Apple ahead of their suggested date in order to be included on Launch day. Sadly, it appears we are still in "Review" as of today. We are hopeful that Apple will approve the update soon though.

Best regards,
Rome E
Slacker Support

I think Slacker really is trying to do better and I will absolutely give them some Slack Jack! LOL I can't wait though because it is no secret I think Slacker ROCKS!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I think Slacker's future definitely is bright. If only they'd do some advertising.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think Slacker's future definitely is bright. If only they'd do some advertising.

Yeah I have corresponded with a few folks from there and that is one thing I have repeatedly told them. You guys have the superior service, yet no one knows it. They don't know you have 4X the library, station caching, unlimited skips, total customization for $3.99 per month if you pay for a year or $4.99 if you need to go monthly!

Pandora is $36 a year for Pandora one and you still are limited to 6 skips and no customization it is all done via their system.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This post from RomeE seems they tried, but Pandora is Apple's golden child, so theirs got approved and Slacker is still pending!

I think Slacker really is trying to do better and I will absolutely give them some Slack Jack! LOL I can't wait though because it is no secret I think Slacker ROCKS!

Its a shame that Apple has chosen to be bed buddies with Pandora. Obviously Pandora knows what requires greesing and has applied appropriate greese. Its not like Apple hardware is a true level playing field though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Its a shame that Apple has chosen to be bed buddies with Pandora. Obviously Pandora knows what requires greesing and has applied appropriate greese. Its not like Apple hardware is a true level playing field though.

This is the nature of corporate American and certainly not unique to Apple or for that matter corporations around the world. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

I remember when Google and Apple were scratching each others backs instead of each others eyes as they are now! Shit changes!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This is the nature of corporate American and certainly not unique to Apple or for that matter corporations around the world. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

I remember when Google and Apple were scratching each others backs instead of each others eyes as they are now! Shit changes!

Yeah, and now Microsoft and Apple are playing nice with Bing being a search option in the new iPhone OS 4, and Windows Live Messenger getting approved in the App Store. It's like a parallel universe all of a sudden. :eek:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
One more caching attempt on Slacker, one more failure. Can't get ANY of my stations to cache or stay cached after crashing.
Posted via Mobile Device

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
One more caching attempt on Slacker, one more failure. Can't get ANY of my stations to cache or stay cached after crashing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some people have identified certain stations as having issues. Have you tried a couple of stations or are you trying a whole bunch at a time?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Posted via Mobile Device

It is all so odd and always takes me back to the question. Did you do and upgrade or did you do a restore or have you tried restoring to iOS4? Set it up as new phone as to not carry over any junk.

iPhone 4, 3GS working perfectly on caching and playing. 3G works fine for caching, but will crash after so long playing songs.

I know the restore thing isn't a magic bullet, but it has worked for some folks. Especially on the 3GS.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It is all so odd and always takes me back to the question. Did you do and upgrade or did you do a restore or have you tried restoring to iOS4? Set it up as new phone as to not carry over any junk.

iPhone 4, 3GS working perfectly on caching and playing. 3G works fine for caching, but will crash after so long playing songs.

I know the restore thing isn't a magic bullet, but it has worked for some folks. Especially on the 3GS.

I did a restore on the 3GS since I switched with my mom, and wanted to take her stuff off there. Did a full restore and then added all my apps. Before the iOS4 upgrade it was able to cache some stations before it would crash, now it can't cache any.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
What I'm going to try is to uninstall and then reinstall the app, and then cache the stations something like 5 at a time (working on the first 5 now) and see if that gets me anywhere.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What I'm going to try is to uninstall and then reinstall the app, and then cache the stations something like 5 at a time (working on the first 5 now) and see if that gets me anywhere.

Well I hope it works for you! It is just all so strange, cause I cashed 20 stations without fail and have played this thing for hours with no issues.

This is certainly a quirky bug, I hope they figure it out. Have you send in your logs to support.. They are asking folk with these problems to do so. So, if it continues I suggest you do so. This will hopefully help them to address this issue.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Well I hope it works for you! It is just all so strange, cause I cashed 20 stations without fail and have played this thing for hours with no issues.

This is certainly a quirky bug, I hope they figure it out. Have you send in your logs to support.. They are asking folk with these problems to do so. So, if it continues I suggest you do so. This will hopefully help them to address this issue.

I reinstalled the app and cached 10 stations without an issue, so looks like that's fixed. I'll work on the other 15 in a few minutes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm also curious to see if it does caching with multitasking, but I won't test that just yet. :D

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm also curious to see if it does caching with multitasking, but I won't test that just yet. :D

No there is no API for caching in the background. It will stop a and then auto resume when you move it back to the foreground..