Slacker Radio (Continues to Lag Behind Pandora)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
LOL! What caching software have YOU used that they have?

I have just noticed the numerous complaints about buggy caching on the Slacker board. Probably the same way you assume that the SL2 continues to be a buggy device ... no longer from personal experience.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have just noticed the numerous complaints about buggy caching on the Slacker board. Probably the same way you assume that the SL2 continues to be a buggy device ... no longer from personal experience.

Actually my son has an SL2 doesn't use it to record though because it is so buggy. I am often with him and mess around with it. So, you'd be wrong that I only get my information from the forum. It was a nice try though! hehehe

You are also still talking about the original version of the Slacker caching software for Blackberry which has since been updated. Yes, unlike your SL2 software Slacker actually does update theirs to fix issues.

Vapourware! ROTFLOL!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
From Facebook:

GIVEAWAY: Slacker Mobile App 2.0 for iPhone & iPod touch is in approvals at Apple (caching is coming)!!! In celebration we are giving away a 32GB iPod touch with 1 year of Slacker Radio Plus. Tell us how you heard about Slacker for a chance to win. Winner to be randomly selected on June 7th. 10 others will receive 3 months of Slacker Radio Plus!!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Now I know I'll be wasting Memorial Day weekend hitting the update button every 5 minutes in the App store. :rolleyes:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
From Facebook:

GIVEAWAY: Slacker Mobile App 2.0 for iPhone & iPod touch is in approvals at Apple (caching is coming)!!! In celebration we are giving away a 32GB iPod touch with 1 year of Slacker Radio Plus. Tell us how you heard about Slacker for a chance to win. Winner to be randomly selected on June 7th. 10 others will receive 3 months of Slacker Radio Plus!!

I think the way that is worded makes it sound like it is on the verge of approval, but of course according to Slacker it is still in the review process. Which means it has yet to be approved.

It would be nice to see it hit this weekend, but I have a feeling it won't be till next week sometimes if it does drop. I'd love to have it for this weekend, but I am not holding my breath!

Rhapsody recently did another upgrade, which has made it much more stable than previously. Downloads are faster now too, not to mention the higher quality graphics.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You are also still talking about the original version of the Slacker caching software for Blackberry which has since been updated. Yes, unlike your SL2 software Slacker actually does update theirs to fix issues.

Blackberry, Droid, multiple versions. You name the platform and version and I can probably find you 5 or 6 bug reports / complaints from that forum.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
With Opera Mobile I believe approval was announced on Engadget on Monday, and was in the store on Tuesday. That was during the week, but I'm hoping we'll see it by the end of the Holiday weekend. Would be nice for the commute on Tuesday since Slacker is giving me network issues with 5 Bars of 3G, where Pandora works just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Blackberry, Droid, multiple versions. You name the platform and version and I can probably find you 5 or 6 bug reports / complaints from that forum.

I can find you complaints about Jesus Christ or Ford Cars, or Harley Davidson Motorcycles... So what!

How many complaint threads have we had about the SL2? But yet you still find it a viable product! But what has Sirius XM done for you lately? I can't hear you?

Slacker may time their sweet time, but they do generally address issues. Don't you wish you could say the same for your SL2?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can find you complaints about Jesus Christ or Ford Cars, or Harley Davidson Motorcycles... So what!

How many complaint threads have we had about the SL2? But yet you still find it a viable product! But what has Sirius XM done for you lately? I can't hear you?

Slacker may time their sweet time, but they do generally address issues. Don't you wish you could say the same for your SL2?

Personally, I would prefer to take door #3 given the chioice.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Personally, I would prefer to take door #3 given the chioice.

Whatever that means, you've whined and complained about Slacker since you got it. I am not really sure why you even have it if the service and software is so bad.

My current version 1.3 of the software is very stable and I've never had an issue with it. You will always have complainers as that is just human nature! It does not mean everyone is having problems!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Whatever that means, you've whined and complained about Slacker since you got it. I am not really sure why you even have it if the service and software is so bad.

My current version 1.3 of the software is very stable and I've never had an issue with it. You will always have complainers as that is just human nature! It does not mean everyone is having problems!

It means I am a bit disappointed in the lack of support for the SL2 but in no means do I see Slacker as the great white saviour to replace it. I am still waiting for the alternative (door #3 -- you have seen 'Let's Make a Deal' haven't you?).

I still have the service month to month. So far I am renewing because I like the channels I have every now and again. But the service for me is severely lacking. About 25% of my favourite bands WILL NOT PLAY on Slacker in Canada. Bands such as the Eagles, Bob Segar, Everclear, Steve Miller, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins and many more. These means even though my channels have tonnes of artists selected and tonnes of songs favourited, I get a very shallow playlist. My Classic Rewind clone is shallower than the Sirius XM equivalent -- not by design. I have added some Canadian artists that I like and some of them will play which makes it a bit unique and expands the playlist a bit but not enough. I spend more and more time just listening to the SXM equivalent.

The destop software player is OK but buggy. About 1 out of every 10 startups freezes and requires a hard kill. The station editor is buggy once you reach a certain level of favourites. As far as I can tell every Slacker product is buggy despite the claims of long QA testing times as explainations for delayed releases. Overall I give Slacker a C-. Mediocre at best.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That makes me wonder about your computer in terms of memory and processor. I really cannot say I have had any of those problems you report. I have playlist with hundreds of songs and while I notice it slows a bit the more you add, it still works very well.

In regards to missing artist I would assume that has to do with licensing agreements for Canada. Here in the US, there are even a few artist missing, but I do not blame Slacker for that. You take Bob Segar for example, he is just a moron! His music isn't on Amazon or iTunes. He is a control freak and some artist are like that.

In most cases I have created my own stations for most of the genres I wish to hear. I have had a blast doing that and sat radio cannot touch my self created Slacker stations. Overall there are a few pre-programmed Slacker stations which have very good playlist.

I do not see Slacker as a replacement for Sat Radio either, though clearly some do and have canceled their subs. However, when I want to here what I want instead of some voice tracked dj that plays a lot of crap I do not, then Slacker is the clear winner. You cannot ban artist or songs on Sirius XM. You get what they deliver and most of the time that is okay, but not all the time.

The point is there will always be folks that complain about software and sevices. Does not mean everyone feels that way or even have those problems. Using a forum as a means to prove your point that Slacker creates nothing but buggy software is nonsense. It would be like showing someone the SL2 forum and then saying see, that is what you can expect from Sirius XM. That would not be a true picture because we know on the XM side we have gotten updates for our hardware and software.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That makes me wonder about your computer in terms of memory and processor. I really cannot say I have had any of those problems you report. I have playlist with hundreds of songs and while I notice it slows a bit the more you add, it still works very well.

2 different computers both with plenty of memory. If its memory, Slacker must waste memory or be quite bloated for this to even be an issue. Posted this on the Slacker website at your suggestion, got several responses (after yours which said that because you didn't have the problem, it must not exist) all with the same issues. Of course, nothing was ever done about it. And perhaps part of the blame is mine since I never bothered contacting the support about it -- seemed like it would be a pointless time wasting endevour. But that does not change the fact that there is an issue shared by others with Slacker station editing.

I am glad you enjoy your Slacker. I am enjoying it less and less.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In regards to missing artist I would assume that has to do with licensing agreements for Canada. Here in the US, there are even a few artist missing, but I do not blame Slacker for that. You take Bob Segar for example, he is just a moron! His music isn't on Amazon or iTunes. He is a control freak and some artist are like that.

While I can give Slacker the pass on an artist or 2, the shere number indicates that it is not all on a couple stupid artists. When they first came here, there were promises that they were continuing to work with Canadian labels and get more music. No results. No effort. No explaination. That is on Slacker.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
2 different computers both with plenty of memory. If its memory, Slacker must waste memory or be quite bloated for this to even be an issue. Posted this on the Slacker website at your suggestion, got several responses (after yours which said that because you didn't have the problem, it must not exist) all with the same issues. Of course, nothing was ever done about it. And perhaps part of the blame is mine since I never bothered contacting the support about it -- seemed like it would be a pointless time wasting endevour. But that does not change the fact that there is an issue shared by others with Slacker station editing.

I am glad you enjoy your Slacker. I am enjoying it less and less.

Just because I am not having problems does not in any way shape or form mean no one else is. Why do you find it necessary to put words in my mouth or make such assumptions. I have never said that and you know it.

First of all because I and several of my friends have it and we have newer computers it stands to reason that it could be memory or processor power. Granted that is not a good thing and I was not saying it was, but clearly not everyone has this issue based on the few folks that have reported it. Then again not everyone spends the time creating playlist, so maybe this is why they have not had the problem.

I do indeed like Slacker and i listen to it daily. If you don't want to waste your time working with support, then just cancel it and be done with it. Seems like you'd be a lot more happy since this apparently is such a thorn in your side.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
"With Pandora you can add (Holiday)
behind the artist name and it will only play that artist holiday music.
Slacker should be light years ahead of Pandora, because of the caching thing alone,
they even have a larger library, on their free subs, there aren't nearly as many
limitations. Yet who knows this besides us geeks that keep up with such things? That
is my point..." Thanks DAB this is good info.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Pandora has already downloaded 3.1 for the iPhone to coincide with iOS 4. Slacker, nothing yet. But on the other hand, a lot of apps don't have their iOS 4 versions yet.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Slacker has a version for the iOS4 that they have been working on, but I don't know rather it has been submitted to Apple as of yet.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I will cut them a little bit of slack (there's that word again) because a lot of the apps don't have 4.0 versions yet. Pocket Tunes, SiriusXM and Wunder radio are ones that come to mind. Pandora is just on top of things.