Slacker questions

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
Hi guys,

I have been fooling around with slacker online only. So far this thing is really amazing. I was having cocktails last night and a buddy and his wife were trying to find something it did not have. Slacker had every song or band that we threw at it.

I even did a search for zydeco and Slacker already had a zydecocajun station.
I have some questions

How is the G2 with your existing car radio? How does it hook uo? How is the sound in your car?

I personally think the 4gb would be plenty with 25 stations but will I be pissed that I did not get the 8gb?

What is a great price? I am not in a hurry ....

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Best places to look for a good prices on a G2 is here, or usually you'll find a deal on Woot that blows the doors off anything else. They feature Slacker G1s and G2s occasionally. I use my iPhone with the Slacker application, so I can't comment on the G2, but I've heard good things about it in the car from others.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How is the G2 with your existing car radio? How does it hook uo? How is the sound in your car?

I personally think the 4gb would be plenty with 25 stations but will I be pissed that I did not get the 8gb?

What is a great price? I am not in a hurry ....

I plug my G2 into my aux-input on my factory head unit and it sounds great. The music on the G2 is 40kb AAC Plus so they are about equal to 128kb MP3's if not a little better. I have been very, very satisfied with the sound quality.

If you car doesn't have an aux-input you have a couple of options, one would be to see if there is an adapter that would give you an aux-input or you could buy the Slacker FM Transmitter or another brand to use with the G2 which would broadcast it to your FM Radio. You would take a sound quality hit, but not bad.

If I were buying today I'd get the 8gb version and I'll tell you why. Your apt to expand your listening horizons once you start using the service and creating your own stations. Each station starts out with about 100 or so songs. But as you keep refreshing it provided you have additional space your station could grow up to 500 songs. This would mean hours and hours of listening with absolutely zero repeats. I originally started out with a 4gb G2, but my stations were growing as large as I wanted simply because I didn't have the additional space. So, go for the larger GB size if you can afford it.

Right now there are some web sites that have the 8gb G2 for $220, Buy.com had it for $239, but it included a free home dock, which is really nice too.

I created a new station just yesterday morning, it took me a good while and even though I am a Slacker when it comes to programming my own stations I am sort of a perfectionist. I called it Romance 70's. Well last night at a Valentine Party, with all my 40 something year old friends, we listen to this station and I can tell you that I probably have a half dozen friends looking to buy at Slacker G2. I told them just what I am telling you. Get the G2 8gb so you can grow with it. You won't regret it.

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA
also on. slacker.com you get free dock.

I use a blue tooth dongle on my g2 to my radios blue tooth header in the car and that works great too.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
also on. slacker.com you get free dock.

I use a blue tooth dongle on my g2 to my radios blue tooth header in the car and that works great too.

I had a co-worker that ordered this setup on Friday morning, but has not gotten anything, but the original purchase email from Slacker. He didn't have them customize the channels as he wanted to load his own. How long did it take you to get an email saying it was shipped and then how long did it take?

Thanks!

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA
I had a co-worker that ordered this setup on Friday morning, but has not gotten anything, but the original purchase email from Slacker. He didn't have them customize the channels as he wanted to load his own. How long did it take you to get an email saying it was shipped and then how long did it take?

Thanks!

I ordered Tue of last week at 1:00AM CST, got purchase email that night and heard nothing until wed of that week I recieved a email with the FedEx ground tracking number. I had them customize mine. I got mine on Fri shipped from Portland. I Live in west central MN.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I ordered Tue of last week at 1:00AM CST, got purchase email that night and heard nothing until wed of that week I recieved a email with the FedEx ground tracking number. I had them customize mine. I got mine on Fri shipped from Portland. I Live in west central MN.

Wow that is pretty quick and since he didn't have his customized they should have actually shipped it on Friday. Maybe he'll get notice tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along!

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks Dab for the info. I have a old Kenwood Excelon with no front aux input. I have never heard of aux input adapter. I think your right as I will be creating all these personal stations. Plus, I will share it with my wife and all her Phish and Kayne West stations.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks Dab for the info. I have a old Kenwood Excelon with no front aux input. I have never heard of aux input adapter. I think your right as I will be creating all these personal stations. Plus, I will share it with my wife and all her Phish and Kayne West stations.

If you are not using the CD Changer output on that Kenwood, they do make an adapter that will plug right in and give you an aux-input. Well worth it and they aren't real expensive. The sound quality boost though will be pretty noticeable.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
If you are not using the CD Changer output on that Kenwood, they do make an adapter that will plug right in and give you an aux-input. Well worth it and they aren't real expensive. The sound quality boost though will be pretty noticeable.

I just have a kenwood Sirius 902 tuner hooked up to the head unit.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just have a kenwood Sirius 902 tuner hooked up to the head unit.

Ahh... okay then that means your Sirius 902 is using the CD Changer slot, so that is not available. That would leave an FM Trans then and it would work pretty well.

I still have a Kenwood 902 in the box for an old Kenwood head unit I use to have. I loved those old tuners.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
Ahh... okay then that means your Sirius 902 is using the CD Changer slot, so that is not available. That would leave an FM Trans then and it would work pretty well.

I still have a Kenwood 902 in the box for an old Kenwood head unit I use to have. I loved those old tuners.

I got a lifetime on that 902 thinking with no buttons or such to go bad. I will have that thing for 10 years before I need to switch and pay Sirius 75 bucks. I am a sound snob so fm trans will not work for me. I am just going to get a new head unit with front aux. That way I can have Sirius for talk and slacker for tunes. I got to do what you did and start getting all my old equipment on ebay to pay for all this.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
I am just going to get a new head unit with front aux.

See if your Kenwood supports daisy chaining devices. My Pioneer supports this so you can have an aux input (thru an adapter) as well as a Sirius tuner and a CD changer. They make all kinds of other sources like DVD players, TV tuners, HD radio, etc. Each device has an input and output connection thus you can chain them together. Sniff around on Crutchfields site for more info.