Slacker not supported on JB iphones?

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by mrpacs, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

I was having trouble with Slacker app on my iphone. It seems to be working OK for now. But Tech Support at Slacker is telling me that they do not support the app on JB iPhones and it won't work. Sounds like BS to me.

Thank You for contacting Slacker Customer Support,

Our in house MAC guy (who also designed it) alerted us to this as the case when you see that error prior to us launching. I am glad to hear you have it working, but we do not support the app on the phone in that state.

Best Regards,
    Charles B.
    Slacker Support
    Official Slacker Forums • Index page

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:37 PM
    To: Support
    Subject: RE: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

LOL! First of all how on earth would you know if my iphone is JB or not?
    Secondly, I have many many many friends who are JB and use Slacker just fine. THIRD and finally, I completely deleted Slacker from iTunes and from iPhone and then reinstalled and now it is working correctly.

Rob

From: Charles Blackwell [mailto:cblackwell@slacker.com] On Behalf Of Support
    Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:30 PM
    To:
    Subject: RE: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

Thank You for contacting Slacker Customer Support,

The issue your are having is because this phone is jailbroken.

Best Regards,
    Charles B.
    Slacker Support
    Official Slacker Forums • Index page

Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:04 AM
    To: Support
    Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

iphone 3G with Slacker app using 3G. After EVERY song, I receive an "Unknown Error" and I have to close Slacker and then restart Slacker in order to hear the next song. This will not occur if I ban a track or skip to the next song. It only occurs if I listen to a song in it's entirety and if it's via 3G not WiFi.

Rob

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

They know cause you are probably #100000001 to ask the same question.

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I do believe what they are saying is legit they don't support jail broken phones or iPod's. Jail braking a phone does make some changes and is is possible if Slacker didn't prepare for those changes it may or may not work. It seems logical to me. Still if others have used it with jail broken phones then yours should work too. But stranger things have been known to happen.

I do not think they have anyway of knowing if your phone is jail broken or not. CharlesB is a rascal now, in my dealing with him I find him to be very curt and he just doesn't strike me as someone that likes his job very much. He is quick to blame the end user for the issues they are having.

Anyway... the unknown error was fixed in the last update on the Slacker App as I was having it too, but not since upgrading. Version 1.0.1 was the version that I've loaded and have not had the error since.

4. Libb

Libb New Member

Works fine on my jailbroken iPod Touch.

Part of why they won't officially support jailbroken is because of all the wacky things that you can install to run in the background - there's a chance that something might conflict or suck too much memory away from the app. (Note though that in real world use, I have had zero issues, even running Slacker.app in the background with Backgrounder.)