Slacker ipod app

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I had posted that link earlier this morning on the BlackBerry thread, but it's cool that there's a standalone thread for it.

It's still not at the iTunes store yet, but the day isn't over yet. If it doesn't appear today, then maybe next week.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
What scares me is the line about the iPhone not actually downloading the music like the Portable Player do, instead it just streams like website. In other words if you've got no cell signal or no WiFi connection you get no music :( major bummer.

"According to the rep, the iPhone Slacker app could be on the App Store “as soon as tomorrow” - which could just as well mean months from now. As we’re now quite accustomed to hearing, the ball is essentially in Apple’s court; once they give it the greenlight, it’ll go live. It won’t feature the battery-saving song caching that the BlackBerry app has claimed as an exclusive, but it’ll have at least one feature exclusive temporarily: “Fine tuning”. Once you’ve got your streams set up, you can tell the application to adjust the stream based off of your favorites, the song’s popularity, and how recently the song was released"

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
What scares me is the line about the iPhone not actually downloading the music like the Portable Player do, instead it just streams like website. In other words if you've got no cell signal or no WiFi connection you get no music :( major bummer.

"According to the rep, the iPhone Slacker app could be on the App Store “as soon as tomorrow†- which could just as well mean months from now. As we’re now quite accustomed to hearing, the ball is essentially in Apple’s court; once they give it the greenlight, it’ll go live. It won’t feature the battery-saving song caching that the BlackBerry app has claimed as an exclusive, but it’ll have at least one feature exclusive temporarily: “Fine tuningâ€. Once you’ve got your streams set up, you can tell the application to adjust the stream based off of your favorites, the song’s popularity, and how recently the song was released"
Does that happen to you very often; no cell or WiFi? I use Pandora App for iPhone right now and I never get any dropouts.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Does that happen to you very often; no cell or WiFi? I use Pandora App for iPhone right now and I never get any dropouts.
Not much cel /wifi coverage in the back bowls of Tahoe. And Ipod touch only use wifi.

This isn't really a slacker app as much as a way to interface the slacker web player on iphone.
Why does BB get all the fun?

:bigahh:

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Not much cel /wifi coverage in the back bowls of Tahoe. And Ipod touch only use wifi.

This isn't really a slacker app as much as a way to interface the slacker web player on iphone.
Why does BB get all the fun?

:bigahh:
BB get all the fun huh? iPhone's have more "fun" app's than the BB or any other phone for that matter. Obviously you're not familiar with the iphone's plethora of app's such as Pandora. http://www.apple.com/webapps/index.html

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
BB get all the fun huh? iPhone's have more "fun" app's than the BB or any other phone for that matter. Obviously you're not familiar with the iphone's plethora of app's such as Pandora. Apple - Web apps - All Categories
I meant why does BB get exculivity to caching slacker staions? And other devices only get web streaming interface.

Iphone = not able to run apps in background = no thanks.
as well as no swappable battery and no port for running an external antenna.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I meant why does BB get exculivity to caching slacker staions? And other devices only get web streaming interface.

Iphone = not able to run apps in background = no thanks.
as well as no swappable battery and no port for running an external antenna.
Ever hear of the Backgrounder app? It allows app's to run in the background. No need for a swappable battery for me anyway. The iPhone's battery does not have a memory.

Cache stations or cache songs? I wouldn't want to cache songs. Anyway, not sure about Slacker but Pandora's "Stations" sync between your iphone and PC.

What would you need an antenna for?

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Ever hear of the Backgrounder app? It allows app's to run in the background. No need for a swappable battery for me anyway. The iPhone's battery does not have a memory.

Cache stations or cache songs? I wouldn't want to cache songs. Anyway, not sure about Slacker but Pandora's "Stations" sync between your iphone and PC.
I couldn't do without the ability to swap, sometimes its days before I see a power outlet again.

Either way, if I cant use slacker when there's no internet service, its a no go for me. It'd just be nice to only carry my WM pda and still have slacker stations in the back woods.

BB has an unfair advantage in this regard. Hopefully they payed Slacker well, and the exclusivity runs out fairly soon...:whistle:

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I couldn't do without the ability to swap, sometimes its days before I see a power outlet again.

Either way, if I cant use slacker when there's no internet service, its a no go for me. It'd just be nice to only carry my WM pda and still have slacker stations in the back woods.

BB has an unfair advantage in this regard. Hopefully they payed Slacker well, and the exclusivity runs out fairly soon...:whistle:
I hear ya.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is a smart move to provide the applications and ability to run Slacker on these phones.

However, this just doesn't interest me. When I tried a iPhone when they released the first generation one. I found it very irritating to be listening and receiving a phone call or to need to use the phone for other purposes. I just prefer a separate music player, but that is me.

Now having this on my iPod Touch would be cool even though it will only be streaming. I still think I'll prefer the G2 even over the iPod Touch though because of the fact that the iPhone won't be allowed to cache the songs.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
I'll bet you'll never see songs cached on the iPhone/Touch because in Apple's eyes an application like that would compete with the iPod directly. So far Apple has rejected any apps that cuts into their revenue stream (aka iTunes Store).