Slacker G2 4GB 99 bucks

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I just saw this on facebook

Get a Slacker G2 Personal Radio Player for only $99 (that's a $100 savings) at BestBuy through August 31st

I hate BB and swore I would never give them a dime but I have been waiting for a deal on a G2. I am pulling the trigger if you guys think this is a great deal.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
It looks like a closeout special because they were not getting anymore. I had to go to two BB stores to find one. I would not wait till the end of the month is you want one. Does this mean G3 is near?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It looks like a closeout special because they were not getting anymore. I had to go to two BB stores to find one. I would not wait till the end of the month is you want one. Does this mean G3 is near?

I've not heard anything about a G3, but it wouldn't surprise me. Then again it could be that Slacker is going to put all their eggs in the iPhone, Blackberry basket and just do way with their own hardware. I know being on the G2 beta team, we've not had any new updates a long while now.

I am glad you got the G2 though its a rock solid little radio in my book! I use mine daily in my vehicle.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I am trying to figure it out. It took forever to download all the stations and that drained the battery. I had a ball setting up my 80's rock personal station. My new car has a usb input jack built in but I could not get it to work. Should that work? Or do I need another adapter? After an hour, I am ready to dump Sirius.

ibprtazpolpcp

Dec 10, 2008
Thanks for the heads up, Rock.

USB is mostly for power. Also for a PC to send firmware, encrypted Slacker media, or your MP3s to the G2. The G2 can't send media the other way via USB.

So get a male-to-male headphone cable for your car, if it has an AUX-in headphone-like jack.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks so much... I just ordered that cable. I really like it and hope it sounds as good as my ipod in the car, Xm sounds like crap in it,

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
I am seriously considering purchasing one today! Not sure if I really need another music device to add to my XM and iPod.

Anybody know if the 30 Day Free Trial applies to units purchased from Best Buy, or does that trial offer only apply to purchases made through Slacker's website?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am seriously considering purchasing one today! Not sure if I really need another music device to add to my XM and iPod.

Anybody know if the 30 Day Free Trial applies to units purchased from Best Buy, or does that trial offer only apply to purchases made through Slacker's website?

30 day risk free trail in on the hardware itself and Best Buy should have a 30 days return policy on this item. The trial plus subscription plan is only 7 days though.

My personal use for the G2 is just as a car audio device. I taken it inside about once a month and refresh it. In regards to listening at home or office I just use my iPhone for that.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
30 day risk free trail in on the hardware itself and Best Buy should have a 30 days return policy on this item. The trial plus subscription plan is only 7 days though.

My personal use for the G2 is just as a car audio device. I taken it inside about once a month and refresh it. In regards to listening at home or office I just use my iPhone for that.
Yeah, I have a SkyFi2 in the car, an inno in my apartment (which I could also take portably) and an iPod which can be used in car, home and portably.
I occasionally listen to Slacker on the computer at work, but most of the time it's iTunes or XM online.
What makes this a must have in addition to all that? What are your thoughts?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Technically no subscription is required. You can still do the free stuff on the G2 can you not? You will just hear the ads and have limited skips.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What makes this a must have in addition to all that? What are your thoughts?

For me it is the ability to create customized stations. I have probably 20 stations that are totally customized to what I like and want to hear. I have large artist list and in some cases a narrow scope of time like the 90's or maybe a 80's and 90's station. 80's One Hit Wonder's to 70's Love Songs! It is just unlimited what you can do. It does take some time and effort though to build and tweak them. If you have no interest in doing that, then I'd say the must have impact is pretty minimal with what you are already doing for music.

I guess the other big thing too is that I don't have to bother owning the music, it allows them to have the music for me to use, I just have to customize to my liking. If the are artist you don't like you never have to hear them and of course it can be commercial free if you so desire.

Technically no subscription is required. You can still do the free stuff on the G2 can you not? You will just hear the ads and have limited skips.

That is correct! I think there are probably a lot of folks that do the non subscription accounts. If you like to skip songs a lot though the 6 song per hour limit will be a pest. $3.99 per month for no ads and unlimited skips, along with full use of the customization features is worth it.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
I took the plunge. Bought one for the $99 bucks at Best Buy last night. They only had 3 left as far as I could tell. Got home too late to really check it out though. It's charging at my desk now, and should be able to check it out during lunch.

I figured for $99 bucks, I had to jump on it. Best Buy has a 30 day return policy, so if I find that I'm not really listening to it much after 30 days I can return it.
Or if I keep it longer than that, a $99 dollar price tag on eBay may be pretty enticing to someone.

I'll return with my thoughts on it later today or tomorrow.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
I'm getting really pissed at this thing!! First off, I was trying to connect my unit to my PC using the USB and kept getting a Slacker could not connect error. "Reconnect and Try Again" (I did many, many times)

Finally decided to try to connect via wi-fi (which takes forever)
Got connected and I had (supposedly) saved about 15 stations to my portable via the website, but when I connect to do a station refresh, only 6 stations would download to the unit. I tried reducing the number of stations to 10 to see what would happen, and only 8 would refresh. I want to be able to put about 20+ stations on this unit, but I'm getting really frustrated!!!! I haven't even listened to the unit much, because all of my time is being spent trying to connect and reconnect to download the stations - never knowing if stations are going to sync or not.
I may not have to wait out the 30 day trial, as I'm thinking about returning this POS today!
Someone, please convince me that I'm doing something wrong, and help me fix it. Then maybe I'll give it a second chance.
DAB - any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've already done a factory reset twice hoping that would fix something.

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
start with just a few stations. use wifi, do not use usb. do not use the slacker program, use the website.

lots of people get discouraged at first when they try to add tons of stations right off the bat. once it get running tho- its sweet.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
start with just a few stations. use wifi, do not use usb. do not use the slacker program, use the website.

lots of people get discouraged at first when they try to add tons of stations right off the bat. once it get running tho- its sweet.

That's what I'm doing. Using wi-fi and using the website. I don't think 10 stations is a ton. I should be able to put 10 stations on the unit and get 10 stations, not 6.
I'm even trying to add one at a time and then refresh every time. Still not working.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
OK. Now I've added a channel, and it SLOOOWWWLY says Refreshing for the channel. The bar gets to the end of the refresh and says "Done".
Yet, when I go to the channel list, guess what? IT ISN'T F'in THERE!!

This thing sucks balls!!