Slacker announces Caching for the iPhone

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
Just a little FYI from my situation - after I finally figured out how to get into settings I was able to upgrade to plus with my Itunes account. Now, I just wait for the new app.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just a little FYI from my situation - after I finally figured out how to get into settings I was able to upgrade to plus with my Itunes account. Now, I just wait for the new app.

Congrats that is good news, I am glad you found a way to upgrade to plus with your iTunes account. That is good info!

I sure hope Slacker 2.0 gets released very, very soon. You can go ahead and start creating some stations or tweaking the pre-programmed ones while you wait.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
I wouldn't count on it before March 1st. RomeE from Slacker, at the Slacker forums:
Official Slacker Forums • When is caching coming to iPod Touch app?
We don't have a date at this time. The announcement and early Demo's provided at CES were pretty early on. There's still a bit of work to do, then testing, then app approval. So, I can tell you with some certainty that it's not going to be in the next week or two. But how far away, I don't have any clue at this time.

The approval process alone can take 2-3 weeks with Apple.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I wouldn't count on it before March 1st. RomeE from Slacker, at the Slacker forums:
Official Slacker Forums • When is caching coming to iPod Touch app?

The approval process alone can take 2-3 weeks with Apple.

It will get here when it gets here. I still have my G2 and it does the job for now.

By the way there are recent articles all over the web on Apple approving many apps within 3 or 4 days of being submitted. I think Steve finally got on their asses about taking so long to get this process completed. I've read at least a half dozen articles on this from various indiviuals and companies creating apps for the app store.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
Well I guess my Slacker G1 and G2 are both useless now that I just bought an ipod touch.

!!!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I guess my Slacker G1 and G2 are both useless now that I just bought an ipod touch.

!!!

I would not buy one at this point, but to say they are useless would be incorrect. They will continue to function as always and not everyone wants an iPod Touch or iPhone.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
I would not buy one at this point, but to say they are useless would be incorrect. They will continue to function as always and not everyone wants an iPod Touch or iPhone.

What should I do? I have a Slacker g1, g2 and now the touch 32gb.

I have 2 cars with aux inputs..... one of them has a sirius reciever that I have never activated but it gets it's channels just fine.

then there's the boat.

I really dislike the G1......but it's not like I could sell it for anything....

The G2 is ok, but it's still slower than the touch and it's battery life isn't that great..

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What should I do? I have a Slacker g1, g2 and now the touch 32gb.

I have 2 cars with aux inputs..... one of them has a sirius reciever that I have never activated but it gets it's channels just fine.

then there's the boat.

I really dislike the G1......but it's not like I could sell it for anything....

The G2 is ok, but it's still slower than the touch and it's battery life isn't that great..

Right now I use the G2 in my vehicle plugged into aux-input because it of course has cached stations. Once the Slacker 2.0 iPod Touch/iPhone App is released some say a month or more from now, then I'll likely give my G2 away or put it on Ebay.

By the way you'd be surprised how many folks put these G1's on Ebay and get $30 to $50 for them. Folks will buy anything!

I agree the G1 for the most part is crap, the G2 works very well though and I have enjoyed having it for going on a year now. Battery has never been an issue because while in my vehicle it is powered. I look forward though to the Slacker 2.0 software for my iPod Touch and iPhone then I can cache the stations to it.

Someone will make good use of my G2.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
Yeah, I guess I should use the car dock that came with my g2, maybe I'll set that up tomorrow.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
Well I might as well just throw the g2 up on ebay right now.

I just realized that if I turn my sprint touch pro 2 (with "unlimited" data) into a wifi hot spot, I don't even need the caching..... it has no problem keeping up with it.

lol, I'm starting to feel technology overload.

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ

I just realized that if I turn my sprint touch pro 2 (with "unlimited" data) into a wifi hot spot, I don't even need the caching..... it has no problem keeping up with it.

The unlimited data is only for the phone itself. In order to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot, you need a tethering plan which has a 5GB cap. If you tether without a plan you will recieve a nasty surprise in the mail.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I've used AT&T's 3G network a great deal while at the gym streaming Slacker! It works really well!

Setting up a wifi hot spot though sounds like you are getting into a situation where there maybe a cap. Streaming from my iPhone is covered under my unlimited plan.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
The unlimited data is only for the phone itself. In order to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot, you need a tethering plan which has a 5GB cap. If you tether without a plan you will recieve a nasty surprise in the mail.

Nah, I've tethered just fine for almost a year, they don't know or don't care.

Then again I never even go over 1 gb. Even using my phone to stream sirius all day everyday.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think a lot of this has to do with the carrier you use, the device you are using, and how much data you consume.

Technically speaking, any tethering through any carrier requires an add-on plan. There are ways around it (both legitimate and illegitimate), and some carriers notoriously turn a blind eye to some casual tethering. 1GB/month will probably not cause any issues. 5GB can be another story.

Bottom line is that the unwritten policies are, as always, subject to change. And if you are doing this sort of tethering, you should not be surprised if a fat bill comes in the mail at some point down the road. As carriers continue to search for new revenue streams, I would expect them to become a little more vigilant about this sort of stuff.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
I think a lot of this has to do with the carrier you use, the device you are using, and how much data you consume.

Technically speaking, any tethering through any carrier requires an add-on plan. There are ways around it (both legitimate and illegitimate), and some carriers notoriously turn a blind eye to some casual tethering. 1GB/month will probably not cause any issues. 5GB can be another story.

Bottom line is that the unwritten policies are, as always, subject to change. And if you are doing this sort of tethering, you should not be surprised if a fat bill comes in the mail at some point down the road. As carriers continue to search for new revenue streams, I would expect them to become a little more vigilant about this sort of stuff.

I've been expecting it for a year now......I think if someone was actually looking at my account they'd have more problems than just the fact that I tether... but I haven't heard a peep, I just pay my bill on time every month.

23rnz3l.jpg

kcm92x.jpg

4lsjgz.jpg

;)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I use enough data that you think my bill would come in a box, but at the same time, I never hit 1GB either. That's from streaming things like Slacker, Pandora and ESPN Radio for 4-5 hours a day. Plus all the surfing I do on the phone, which is quite a lot when I want to find a location near me or google something.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Nah, I've tethered just fine for almost a year, they don't know or don't care.

Then again I never even go over 1 gb. Even using my phone to stream sirius all day everyday.

Since you aren't going over the 5gb cap they don't care, but if you start going over it they will likely start charging you more.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
Since you aren't going over the 5gb cap they don't care, but if you start going over it they will likely start charging you more.

I really dont think I'll ever hit that cap. even if I tethered everyday all day.

now at home, yes I did go through 300gb this month......but that's on my cable w/ boost that they claim they dont care how much you use (cablevision)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I really dont think I'll ever hit that cap. even if I tethered everyday all day.

now at home, yes I did go through 300gb this month......but that's on my cable w/ boost that they claim they dont care how much you use (cablevision)

I know I never even get close, in fact in going back looking at my last 6 months of bills I never hit a full GB much less 5 GB. LOL

I will say that whenever possible I do use wifi. Usually at the office, home and even at some hotels and restaurants when eating out.