Slacker announces Caching for the iPhone

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Brace yourself. Metered broadband is the future.

I have little doubt about that! I do think it will be more geared towards those using 5GB or more each month. I do think the unlimited plans will eventually go bye bye even on these smartphones. According to the AT&T reports that I have seen it is those users that constantly go over the 5GB estimate that they have set as an imaginary number that most should not go over that cause them the most problems and apparently both AT&T and Verizon have many of those type customers.

For many of us if the price is right metered maybe better rather than forcing me to pay a flat fee for unlimited when I barely use 1gb a month, some months half of that.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That's the rub. I don't think it will benefit the smaller users in any way whatsoever. It will be about how to squeeze more revenue per user out of customers. As the industry matures, they will be looking for more sources of revenues. It's not like the cost of broadband goes up...it actually goes down. They are going to need to find new sources of revenues to satisfy Wall Street and investors.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's the rub. I don't think it will benefit the smaller users in any way whatsoever. It will be about how to squeeze more revenue per user out of customers. As the industry matures, they will be looking for more sources of revenues. It's not like the cost of broadband goes up...it actually goes down. They are going to need to find new sources of revenues to satisfy Wall Street and investors.

This is all true no doubt about it! I am fine with my rates staying the same. Long as I don't have to pay more for the folks that live on these things and go over the 5GB each month. Which right now there is technically no cap, but they do look at anyone using more than 5GB a month a strain on the network. It is those jokers that should be penalized and AT&T and Verizon can make more money on them. However, once this happens those jokers will reduce how much they use it because they won't want to pay extra.

I think the best route would just to do away with unlimited data plans on these smartphones and then setup a tier system in terms of GB used. But again that favors those like me and so they likely would never do that.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Call me a cynic, but I can't imagine the mobile carriers (or cable company, or telephone company, or Sirius/XM...take your pick) coming along with an idea that even remotely benefits the end user.

I think we are stuck in a terminal spiral of ever increasing prices and declining service.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Call me a cynic, but I can't imagine the mobile carriers (or cable company, or telephone company, or Sirius/XM...take your pick) coming along with an idea that even remotely benefits the end user.

I think we are stuck in a terminal spiral of ever increasing prices and declining service.

I'd like to say you are dead wrong, but unfortunately the fact is that you are probably right! Tis a sad state of affairs! LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
RomeE has said hopefully soon, now rather that means it has been release to Apple for approval is any ones guess. But I have anxiously been awaiting the release of this update for the Slacker App.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
When talking with Slacker support on Monday, I was told by Robert that he was told in the next month or two. So, it appears the ball/software is still in their court getting refined before submission to Apple.