SL2: ZAP 2.0.5.69029r OS 2.0.3.54429 New Logos/Backgrounds {Released 3/9/09}

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So, there I was listening to my SL2 via Wi-Fi.

All of a sudden, I got a notice about how my radio was updated and it would take effect after the next reboot. I rebooted the radio and everything disappeared! It was like it "forgot" the subscription info.

A few minutes later, there were various signs of an update through the satellite. I kept waiting, and it kept updating.

Here's what we get:

A new logo and background for Playboy Radio (bye-bye gigantic boobies.)
A new logo for ESPN Deportes Radio and ESPN Radio.
A new background for several (maybe all) of the sports channels.
Logos on ALL channels (as far as I can tell.) This includes Spa, Sporting News, the couple of traffic channels which were missing the logos. Sports PbP channel 194, Book Radio, and the Best of XM channels.

My update did have a few hiccups. For a few minutes, it wasn't pulling in the BOXM channels, but when it did, it had new logos, complete with an XM logo as the background.

I know there's stuff i'm forgetting...fill me in.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
OMG could it be?

I will attempt tomorrow.....

Post your details here, thanks, kryptonite!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Dood! You had better not be jerking our toast!

Hiccups? Let us know how it's working out.

Thanks for the news!

PS, somebody email IdRatherBeSkiing!
You made his 2009 Kryptonite

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
So, there I was listening to my SL2 via Wi-Fi.

All of a sudden, I got a notice about how my radio was updated and it would take effect after the next reboot. I rebooted the radio and everything disappeared! It was like it "forgot" the subscription info.

A few minutes later, there were various signs of an update through the satellite. I kept waiting, and it kept updating.

Here's what we get:

A new logo and background for Playboy Radio (bye-bye gigantic boobies.)
A new logo for ESPN Deportes Radio and ESPN Radio.
A new background for several (maybe all) of the sports channels.
Logos on ALL channels (as far as I can tell.) This includes Spa, Sporting News, the couple of traffic channels which were missing the logos. Sports PbP channel 194, Book Radio, and the Best of XM channels.

My update did have a few hiccups. For a few minutes, it wasn't pulling in the BOXM channels, but when it did, it had new logos, complete with an XM logo as the background.

I know there's stuff i'm forgetting...fill me in.

I was very sad when Playboy Radio got rid of the boobies background on XM. I'd turn it there just for that:icon_wink:

It'll be interesting to see what us XM guys are getting on our side, if anything at all.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I was very sad when Playboy Radio got rid of the boobies background on XM. I'd turn it there just for that:icon_wink:

It'll be interesting to see what us XM guys are getting on our side, if anything at all.

Well, I tried to find a picture of the old Playboy background, but couldn't find it.

So this will have to do until I can find it.

high-pitch.jpg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
ZAP 2.0.5.69029r
OS 2.0.3.54429

So the Zap is new, but the OS is the same.
(The previous update was ZAP:2.0.4.64538r OS: 20354429 )

It's been so long, that I don't remember what the Zap updates, and what the OS updates.

Am I right that the OS is probably what we need to get updated to fix the memory problem?

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Hell has officially frozen over!

In all seriousness, this is great for people with the SL2, but I'm a spoiled XMp3 owner who gets the new logos the second they come out.

Quick Q though, do you guys get a logo for Sirius Stars Too? It's the only channel on the XmP3 that doesn't have a logo, and just goes by its name (xL Stars Too)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
For a while, I thought that ZAP was the online (and possibly satellite) listening options, whereas the OS was the stuff "behind the scenes" that everything ran on.

I don't think Lithium (while viewing presets) updates the currently playing artist/song the way the other channels do. This isn't new. Wait...maybe they fixed it!

Cinemagic is still unchanged. Yes, it still says Cinemagic, but is playing techno/club music.

I can live without the referee on the sports channels. I liked the seats instead. And WTF is up with channel 194? Does that channel EVER have PbP, or can I block it?

My channel 102 (Sirius XM Stars) says "Sirius XM Stars" and has a logo.
Sirius Stars Too is now Sirius 108 with a dog logo. (The same logo on Specials 113.)

Did anyone else have a few "coughs" while updating? For a while, the only thing I could get was the preset menu and channel 184, or whatever the preview channel is. I could select a preset, but it said something about "Call 888-xxxxx to activate subscription." I honestly thought my radio and/or subscription was messed up until I was able to listen to my Starmate 4 for a few minutes before I realized it was an update and not a screw up.

The process took a bit longer than usual.

I could only hope that they put XM's channel updating system on our radios, but I don't think this is the case. It wouldn't surprise me if that were to be impossible, actually.

As for Playboy's new background, "work-friendly" comes to mind, but if that's the case, a gigantic bunny background doesn't make sense either. I don't know why that was changed.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well it has been 7 months since the last ZAP update. Clearly this appears to only be a logo and background update. Talk about long overdue. OH well at least they have finally done it.

One day they will get around to do another channel mapping update, which will actually put the correct names on some of the channels like the ones that show Pop2K and Cinemagic.

In regards to them being able to do graphics or updates on the fly, not going to happen as their technology just doesn't support it. These devices require a ZAP update.

I updated the title of your thread and made it a sticky. I also removed the previous ZAP sticky!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So what else needs to be done? (Other than the obvious financial stuff.)

-Get the channels on the same lineup throughout both Sirius and XM radios. I bet that the new MiRGE (and anything after) will make this a moot point.
-Fix Cinemagic and Pop2K on the Sirius side. (I wonder how the MiRGE will deal with this.)
-Anything else?

I did see a few quotation marks where apostrophes should have been, though.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So what else needs to be done? (Other than the obvious financial stuff.)

-Get the channels on the same lineup throughout both Sirius and XM radios. I bet that the new MiRGE (and anything after) will make this a moot point.
-Fix Cinemagic and Pop2K on the Sirius side. (I wonder how the MiRGE will deal with this.)
-Anything else?

I did see a few quotation marks where apostrophes should have been, though.

Looks like we will still need to get an OS update to fix the memory problem.