SL2 turns off automatically

Matt Walter

Mar 25, 2009
Please any help out there for this problem.

After 2 months of owning a SL2 it now will turn off automatically and then remain off so that when I turn it back on it must rebot. It will happen randomly when I am recording or just listening to it live. I have reset the SL2 several times and it still occurs.

It will happen in my home, car and boombox dock. It does not occur while playing from the library or WiFi.

It will happen after one hour of listening or if I leave it on all night.

Also, I experience the common problem of an empty file as I record Howard and have followed the previous suggestions and that has basically eliminated that problem.

I love the idea of the SL2 but I find it buggy and not as perfect as my two previous Sportsters.

Thanks.
Matt

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Matt, welcome to DRC! I will try and help you with your SL2 problems. When you say that you have done a reset several times, what were the steps that you took to reset the device? Have you done a complete device recovery using the software you can download for free from sirius, or have you just done the reset that's available and built into the SL2?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There is a 4 hour timeout setting in the dock setting. If this is on, the unit will shut itself off after 4 hours. If it is random times, this is probably not this.

Matt Walter

Mar 25, 2009
I am not aware of the 4 hour timeout setting in the dock. Prior to this problem, I would have it on for 12 hours and it would not shut off. Plus, it will turn off automatically in less then one hour of play time.

I have only done the reset built into the SL2. I have seen and been reading about the device recovery process but have been to nervous to use that method because I worry that I will foul up the SL2 completely! However, I would give it a try if this would fix the problem.

I apprieciate both post and their efforts to help me out.

Matt

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
This sounds like a unique problem, unlike the well-known memory corruption issue. If it continues, I'd say a simple warranty exchange is in order.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
You shouldn't be afraid of a device recovery. It will also help you gain leverage with a CS rep at Sirius for a warranty exchange. The device recovery process is easy. You can download the software straight from Sirius website. Here is the link: SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Stiletto Device Recovery

After you install the software, just turn off the stiletto, not sleep, and hold the options and display button and try and turn the stiletto back on. Make sure you hold down the power button though. You will see the sirius dog logo then it will go into device recovery mode. After you see the icon requesting it to be connected to a usb cable, just follow the instructions on your computer. It's a very easy process.

Matt Walter

Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for all the help. I will try device recovery first and if that does not fix the problem, I will call CS for help.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Walter

Mar 25, 2009
Your were right device recovery was easy however it did not help. Over the past day the SL2 is just in a turn on and turn off loop. This was happening prior to recovery. I guess I must deal with Sirius and I am sure I am not available for any type of warranty service.
thanks.
Matt

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I guess I must deal with Sirius and I am sure I am not available for any type of warranty service.
thanks.

You mean you didn't buy from BB with the extended PSP??? Yikes, so sorry. Well, you know what to do the next time at least.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Your were right device recovery was easy however it did not help. Over the past day the SL2 is just in a turn on and turn off loop. This was happening prior to recovery. I guess I must deal with Sirius and I am sure I am not available for any type of warranty service.
thanks.
Matt

If you can't get anywhere with them, give me a call here at TSS Radio and I'm sure there's something we can work out for you. 773-772-4340.

Bmark

Aug 18, 2009
Illinois
thanks.
Matt

Matt, did Sirius help you out?

About 3 weeks ago my SL2 started doing the same thing and the device recovery didn't help me either. I'm curious if and how Sirius may have helped.

I used to have an S50 and got it to last 2 years with much TLC. I'm so worn out fiddling with Sirius hardware I don't think I have it in me to go through a similar process with the SL2 :(

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I'm so worn out fiddling with Sirius hardware I don't think I have it in me to go through a similar process with the SL2 :(

Hence the big box store PSP's which enable a simple, warranty exchange. Lots of us learned that with those S50's.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
How do I turn this feature off?

This is only on the car dock; it's to preserve the car's battery. The home dock does not shut off the SL2 automatically. I love the home dock. :)

To turn off auto shutdown on the car dock, go to Settings -> Dock -> Auto Shutdown