SL2 satellite reception

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by financeguy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. financeguy

financeguy New Member

I recently purchased an SL2 and am happy with it for home use. Using the home kit, I get decent reception via the terrestrial signal. However, when I go on jogs, I get poor reception unless I wear the headphones it came with. I don’t know what kind of long term health affects the headphone antenna have being so close to the brain, but I prefer to use my regular headphones. I just thought that the unit would get reception on its own when being outside. Do I have a bad device?

Thanks.

2. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I'm curious where you live in the country and also whether you are in a city, suburb or rural area?

It's really hard to determine whether the device is flawed with getting bad reception or you are in an area that gets bad reception for certain unless you have a friend with another SL 2 to test it out with.

3. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

Antennas as usually passive devices.

Those Sirius waves are beaming off of your head whether you have the headphones on or not, same with cell phone waves, AM/FM waves, TV waves, satellite TV, Solar Radiation, cordless phone, remote controls, Beepers, Walkie-Talkies, CB Radio, Visible Light, non visible UV and IR radiation, military satellite communication, Police/Emergency band radio, and so on.

An antenna is just a piece of metal of a size and/or shape similar to the desired signals wavelength, allowing the desired signal to easily pass through the metal into your radio. If I am not mistaken, the alternating magnetic field of the wave will induce current through the antenna. I suppose this current flow could generate a small magnetic field, but we're talking very tiny.

Your headphones are not sucking any extra radiation toward your head, unless of course your head is a black hole with such high gravitational pull that it can bend the waves themselves.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

The antenna headpohones aren't going to do anything to your brain.

5. financeguy

financeguy New Member

Orange County, CA (ie the suburbs). Maybe the trees along the jogging path interfere with the signal, but I would have that that I would be okay as long as I was outside, but I guess I really need those giant headphones.

6. financeguy

financeguy New Member

Just wanted to make sure. There were some reports saying that holding your cell phone close to your head for long periods of time might have bad long term effects, but I guess that's a different issue.

7. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Cell phones transmit, antenna headphones don't.

8. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Since getting the first stiletto and then the SL2 and using the included antenna headphones, I can now move objects with my mind. sure, I get migrains daily and sometimes blood oozes out of my ears but do you know how cool it is to not have to get out of your chair to get the remote or to be able to open any door just like the Jedi do?

Use em and you can get super powers. ahahahahha.

Actually your reception is going to vary based on where you live. if you don't live in a large metro area, you will have no terrestrial signal and have to use the antenna headphones.

9. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Southern California is kinda rough as far as a region with reception in compared to Chicago where I live. The other thing to keep in mind is to have the SL2 facing up especially on the Stiletto Armband Case. Because if it's in your pocket or even in the Leather Case it will be blocked a lot more.

10. I have wondered about this issue myself. These are not "typical" antennas. They are powered and having dismantled one, found an IC with heatsink. Dunno.

However, I did get the case Talyor describes above. I would def recommend the case. It helps orient the radio, frees up your hands and offers some protection from bumps and drops.
    You can wear it on your arm with generous sized velcro strap, or belt loop or clip.

I got it from TSS-RADIO.COM and I think these guys are the BEST!

11. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

My SL2 has weak reception without the antenna headphones. Of course, it is covered with a leather case which may block the signal. And if its in your pocket ... forget it.

But the SL2 has good headphones. I use them quite regualarly as just headphones as I tend to get sore ears every several weeks with in your ear headphones (although I still prefer the in your ear type).

12. yepperz

Thats right,but your cellphone might in the long run,perhaps keep your cellphone OFF to be safe!

Anyone get good reception without the antenna -headphones?
    Mine works like crap without them.I get maybe 1 bar.

13. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMd3wgJjuAs]YouTube - Cell Phone Popcorn[/ame]

14. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

15. down4six

down4six Well-Known Member

My 2 cents.....

I have a SL2, and listen to it outside every once in awhile using the antenna headphones for signal (usually strung over my neck) and my headphones to listen. IMO, the headphones on the antena headphones aren't too bad, I just prefer the foam ear-plug type. The only time I've had any luck using the internal antenna is when I have it on teh dash of my work truck, and even then turning causes it to hiccup. I have always wondered how hard it would be to make a stand-alone antenna that plugged directly into the SL2....

16. monty

monty Member

I have used mine on many beaches with the Sirius headphones hung pointed to the sky on a chair and listen with my Bose headphones. Works great! :bigthumbup:

17. How many bars?

How many bars do you get?Is it SAT OR TERR signal?
    Everyone whos tried please check in!
    Show your state .
    Im from North NJ and the built in one doesnt work .1 bar with zero usable.

18. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

I can get 3 bars of sat signal with my antenna headphones (unless I am under a tree or something). If I am downtown I can get 3 bars of terrestrial signal with the antena headphones.

Toronto, ON

19. YankeeXDev

YankeeXDev Member

When I was outside shoveling yesterday, I was using the headphones and I kept getting a couple second drop outs even though I was getting two bars. I think my whole unit is messed up, it won't pick up terrestrial signal anymore since the internal antenna is busted I believe after I dropped it.

20. monty

monty Member

Seems to move from two to three most of the time.