SL2 problems recently?

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Apparently there was either a recent channel update or software update that may have gone through that is causing some problems for SL2 users. I am trying to see if anyone is experiencing any of these problems. My SL2 seems to be fine but a coworker had a small problem with recordings that seemed to work itself out. Anyone having any problems?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The last update I got was the recent ZAP/OS update that is posted in the SL forum.

However, for about a week and a half now, I have experienced a considerable loss of satellite signal on both my SL2 (walking around) and my Starmate 4 (in the SUBX1.) I notified "Droo" and he's looking into it. His contacts suggest that WiFi routers in the area could be messing with the satellite signal.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The last update I got was the recent ZAP/OS update that is posted in the SL forum.

However, for about a week and a half now, I have experienced a considerable loss of satellite signal on both my SL2 (walking around) and my Starmate 4 (in the SUBX1.) I notified "Droo" and he's looking into it. His contacts suggest that WiFi routers in the area could be messing with the satellite signal.

I heard this from Droo. Passed it onto SIRIUS but I haven't heard anything else from others in your area. So kinda out of ideas.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Anyone having any problems?

After months of nearly flawless operation, my S2 went crazy yesterday (Friday). It locked up hopelessly (and needed a rare battery removal) while recording Stern, and then deleted all programmed recordings AND loved songs. This was the first time since I've been using the S2 (1 1/2 years) that I've ever lost a loved song.

The `empty file - unable to play' (or something like that) seems to be getting more and more common these days on my S2.

So, I'm seeing weird things recently as well.

(I did a reset and erase - since all my recordings were gone any ways - and now it seems to be recording OK. And my micro SD card operation seems fine too)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am having no major issues since the last device recovery/firmware update. The only quirk I have had is that while recording sometimes the buffer becomes activated usually to its full capacity. It does not seem to affect the recording but it is strange behaviour. It is not new, I have had it happen before last summer.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Apparently there was either a recent channel update or software update that may have gone through that is causing some problems for SL2 users. I am trying to see if anyone is experiencing any of these problems. My SL2 seems to be fine but a coworker had a small problem with recordings that seemed to work itself out. Anyone having any problems?

I also should ask what was the spefic problem that your co-worker had?

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
The only quirk I have had is that while recording sometimes the buffer becomes activated usually to its full capacity. It does not seem to affect the recording but it is strange behaviour.

I've seen weird buffer activation while recording as well. But I've never seen it go to full capacity. Sometimes while doing programmed recording, I'll notice that for some reason the S2 has gone into 5-10 minutes of buffer on its own. But it doesn't seem to affect recordings here either.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've seen weird buffer activation while recording as well. But I've never seen it go to full capacity. Sometimes while doing programmed recording, I'll notice that for some reason the S2 has gone into 5-10 minutes of buffer on its own. But it doesn't seem to affect recordings here either.

The first couple of times it happened it was 4-8 seconds. Now if it happens it is allways the full buffer.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
The first couple of times it happened it was 4-8 seconds. Now if it happens it is allways the full buffer.

I stand corrected, IRBS. My buffer was also only seconds (not minutes). But then I had the total lockup (while recording last Fri) that necessitated a reset and erase to get my S2 functional again.

I'm anxious to see how this weeks recordings go.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I stand corrected, IRBS. My buffer was also only seconds (not minutes). But then I had the total lockup (while recording last Fri) that necessitated a reset and erase to get my S2 functional again.

I'm anxious to see how this weeks recordings go.

I guess I have been lucky ... I just skip forward to current and all is fine.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Add me to those without problems.

Two or three weeks ago I screwed up (messed with the SL2 during a recording) and I ended up doing a device recovery. Since then, I've had no problem whatsoever. Terrestrial reception is great inside with home antenna, and outside without any antenna. I just have a reception problem in my car as the cable of my car antenna is broken. I should receive a new one from TSS radio by mail soon. So, as far as I can say, my SL2 behaves as it always had, so far. I don't think the latest update changed anything other than the obvious: logos, adding a timeout to Internet feed, etc.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
After months of nearly flawless operation, my S2 went crazy yesterday (Friday). It locked up hopelessly (and needed a rare battery removal) while recording Stern, and then deleted all programmed recordings AND loved songs. This was the first time since I've been using the S2 (1 1/2 years) that I've ever lost a loved song.

The `empty file - unable to play' (or something like that) seems to be getting more and more common these days on my S2.

So, I'm seeing weird things recently as well.

(I did a reset and erase - since all my recordings were gone any ways - and now it seems to be recording OK. And my micro SD card operation seems fine too)

Mine has doen the exact same thing, only I was able to shut mine down and restart. It seems to only happen when I am recording, and it has been doing it foe the last few days. will try the reset and erase and see.

Weird that it's doing it now on units that were working fine. the only thing I have changed is added BOXM, but I imagine any of those issues should have been known. :confused:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I spoke to soon about my lack of issues. I was deleting a couple recordings I didn't want today and it hung and got the Error screen. It rebooded and did an "Updating Library". I couldn't wait for it so I grabbed my MP3 player today. The Updating Library will buy me a couple weeks but I smell another device recovery in my future.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The "Updating Library" seems to have completety solved the recording issues. However, last nights recording of Classic Rewind is skipping. I haven't had that happen since before the first update.

timannranger

Jul 13, 2009
i have been having problems with my jvc sr1000 receiver. it is older but been having major signal issues for about two weeks. have been searching high and low for answers. i am beginning to wonder what's up with sirius. i dont think it is a problem with the unit itself