SL2 on the fritz and i'm getting the runaround from customer service

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Previously, I was able to walk around my neighborhood and listen to the SL2 through the satellites just by using whatever headphones I liked. I had at least two SL100's and a previous SL2, and no other stiletto seemed to work without the antenna headphones.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried that, and got a "no signal" message. The SL2 works fine with the antenna headphones as well as in a dock.

I talked to SL2 support, and they suggested opening the earbud headphones since they apparently have a little antenna in them. The earbuds didn't work, and the SL2 customer support person suggested that the earbuds were faulty.

Any ideas?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Previously, I was able to walk around my neighborhood and listen to the SL2 through the satellites just by using whatever headphones I liked. I had at least two SL100's and a previous SL2, and no other stiletto seemed to work without the antenna headphones.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried that, and got a "no signal" message. The SL2 works fine with the antenna headphones as well as in a dock.

I talked to SL2 support, and they suggested opening the earbud headphones since they apparently have a little antenna in them. The earbuds didn't work, and the SL2 customer support person suggested that the earbuds were faulty.

Any ideas?

The Earbud Headphones don't have an antenna in them as you may know. But I would be surprised if the loss of signal is an actual mechanical issue with the device. I bet it's more of a software issue. I also wonder if something happened in your area that may have caused like a repeater outtage. Do you live in an area that might have repeaters?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The Earbud Headphones don't have an antenna in them as you may know. But I would be surprised if the loss of signal is an actual mechanical issue with the device. I bet it's more of a software issue. I also wonder if something happened in your area that may have caused like a repeater outtage. Do you live in an area that might have repeaters?

"Holy shiz with a z" That was fast. And that was after I pm'ed "matt" and emailed you guys at the "sales@" address. Color me continually impressed.

I know the earbuds don't have an antenna. That's why TSS Radio should take over, and get paid for, customer service. You guys actually use the products. :)

My Starmate 4 seems to work fine, but there does seem to be a minor weakening of the signal. I called my contact at the "corporate offices in Nova Scotia" (WTF?) and she didn't detect an outage with the repeater in my area.

They do work with the antenna headphones, but not "any old" headphones.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
"Holy shiz with a z" That was fast. And that was after I pm'ed "matt" and emailed you guys at the "sales@" address. Color me continually impressed.

I know the earbuds don't have an antenna. That's why TSS Radio should take over, and get paid for, customer service. You guys actually use the products. :)

My Starmate 4 seems to work fine, but there does seem to be a minor weakening of the signal. I called my contact at the "corporate offices in Nova Scotia" (WTF?) and she didn't detect an outage with the repeater in my area.

I am only able to pick up repeater signals (if strong enough) without antenna headphones. The antenna headphones will also pick up the sats.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

Have you checked your signal meter to see how strong the sat and the repeater signals are?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
HecticArt,

As of yesterday and today, the starmate 4 (with a boombox) gives me 60% terrestrial and 0% satellite. I think this is a bit lower than usual.

With no antenna headphones, i'm getting nothing out of the SL2.
With antenna headphones, i'm getting anywhere from 60% or so to 100% or so terrestrial and 0% satellite.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I am only able to pick up repeater signals (if strong enough) without antenna headphones. The antenna headphones will also pick up the sats.

That's exactly my problem, only I WAS able to get a repeater signal without antenna headphones.

Now this is no longer the case.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com

That's great we got back to you fast. Did you actually get this from us? If so we will likely have you do a reset and if that doesn't work just swap out depending on when you bought it.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
A reset would cause me to lose all my recordings, right? Hopefully any future SL models are MUCH more stable than the previous incarnations.

Since it's the same company, I wish I could trade my SL2 for an XM model, but I don't think I can do that.