SL2 not to be continued

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
From DABs post

Taylor just reported the SL2, Xpress EZ and Express R as being discontinued, so this is radios from both sides.

It looks like portables and all things cool are moving to XM. But you can still listen to sirius via iphone. :ter:

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Taylor just reported the SL2, Xpress EZ and Express R as being discontinued, so this is radios from both sides.

This is sad. It means that they'll never release a damn fix for the memory corruption bug, leaving us (SL2 owners) in the cold.

I know, I know... What else could you expect from a soulless company?

DAB must be grinning, right now. ;)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is sad. It means that they'll never release a damn fix for the memory corruption bug, leaving us (SL2 owners) in the cold.

I know, I know... What else could you expect from a soulless company?

DAB must be grinning, right now. ;)

LOL, nah I am not heartless now bro! I hate it for those of you that still have these darn things, I know you were just kidding. Still it leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth that Sirius just refuses to get that they must take care of their customers especially those that made an investment in hardware by fixing the issues until they are all addressed. They pulled the support plug on the SL2 a year ago :no:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I'm ticked, mostly because I own one. I was considering maybe doing a lifetime sub, but that's pointless now.

Do you think they will offer Stiletto users buy the new XMp3 and subscribe to XM for a reduced rate? :2funny:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Do you think they will offer Stiletto users buy the new XMp3 and subscribe to XM for a reduced rate? :2funny:

The closest thing to "subscribe to XM for a reduced rate" that we may see is the combination of the billing service.

TSS-Radio.com (TSSRadio) on Twitter

Some day this year SIRIUS XM is planning on merging the billing. On that day we are having a party in celebration!
Oh no question they are doing it. I've heard ESTIMATEs of Summer this year.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm ticked, mostly because I own one. I was considering maybe doing a lifetime sub, but that's pointless now.

Well what is the point in being ticked? There are many items that we buy only to have it discountinued, though generally for another model. In this case they are just discountinuing and apparently hoping that those that want a portable will jump to the XM side for the XMp3.

I doubt they will ever offer Stiletto users a deal to buy the XMp3 or a no activation transfer even to switch, much less a reduced rate.

The closest thing to "subscribe to XM for a reduced rate" that we may see is the combination of the billing service.

Some day this year SIRIUS XM is planning on merging the billing. On that day we are having a party in celebration!
Oh no question they are doing it. I've heard ESTIMATEs of Summer this year.

I will not hold my breath on this. Why? Because right now the way it is setup the make more money. If they do merged billing it is likely that many subs that are $12.95 will drop to $8.99. Will they still be able to charge for BOS or BOXM that is likely to continue regardless. I just don't see that they have much incentive to do a merged billing system.

Yes, it makes sense to do a merged billing and activation system. Again I'll believe it when I see it or maybe I should say experience it. :)

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
From DABs post

It looks like portables and all things cool are moving to XM. But you can still listen to sirius via iphone. :ter:

I won't mind moving, its the functionality of the stiletto series that I like. The ability to record the show starting at 6am then start listening at 7am skipping the commercials. Also the flexibility of portable or car or home. One radio, one sub but can use it everywhere, with satillite or Wifi.

Currently no XM radio has the recording capabilities like the stiletto, at least not yet.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I won't mind moving, its the functionality of the stiletto series that I like. The ability to record the show starting at 6am then start listening at 7am skipping the commercials. Also the flexibility of portable or car or home. One radio, one sub but can use it everywhere, with satillite or Wifi.

Currently no XM radio has the recording capabilities like the stiletto, at least not yet.

Very True and I think it is a mistake for Sirius to totally do away with the only portable they have that does Wifi.

I doubt many people use the recording and listening feature as you do, though I may be wrong about that.

I think for most the lack of Wifi is the biggest deal killer for the XMp3, not the way it records.

I think Taylor had the best idea come up with an interoperable portable that will work with either service and has wifi. Then you could do away with both the Stiletto and XMp3. Then again do you make the docking compatible with the Stiletto on the Sirius side so that existing docks work or with the XMp3 so that existing docks from it works. Do you just roll out with it and require new docks all together. I got tired of buying these damn radios and having to buy new docks, new boomboxes etc. Then how long will it be supported given their crappy record on supporting products.

Then again in one article I seen before CES someone mentioned that maybe Sirius XM would release a pure Wifi radio for Sirius XM. Anyone think those would sell?

jgboys1

Nov 28, 2008
Wow that sucks! I guess they discontinued those long before the Stiletto.

Yea, I just ordered the home kit and some bose speakers and I will use that as a boombox.

Last edited:

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Very True and I think it is a mistake for Sirius to totally do away with the only portable they have that does Wifi.

I doubt many people use the recording and listening feature as you do, though I may be wrong about that.

I think for most the lack of Wifi is the biggest deal killer for the XMp3, not the way it records.

I think Taylor had the best idea come up with an interoperable portable that will work with either service and has wifi. Then you could do away with both the Stiletto and XMp3. Then again do you make the docking compatible with the Stiletto on the Sirius side so that existing docks work or with the XMp3 so that existing docks from it works. Do you just roll out with it and require new docks all together. I got tired of buying these damn radios and having to buy new docks, new boomboxes etc. Then how long will it be supported given their crappy record on supporting products.

Then again in one article I seen before CES someone mentioned that maybe Sirius XM would release a pure Wifi radio for Sirius XM. Anyone think those would sell?

I've been saying this for am long time....

Dual band portable...
Docking compatible with ipods...
MP3 storage and audio playback
MP4 video storage and playback
touch screen
WiFi

Hell, ink a deal with apple and allow them to use itunes.

Go after what all these kids think is cool.

UncleScam

Jan 8, 2009
Springfield

it is too bad - if the SL2 worked properly (crashes and memory corruption aside), it would be an incredible unit. i wonder if the price point is what killed it, before the lack of support from sirius killed it.

a great unit that never got the support it needed. it does have some great features that i hope will continue in whatever portable appears in the future.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've been saying this for am long time....

Dual band portable...
Docking compatible with ipods...
MP3 storage and audio playback
MP4 video storage and playback
touch screen
WiFi

Hell, ink a deal with apple and allow them to use itunes.

Go after what all these kids think is cool.

Hell Yeah! :bigthumbup:

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
it is too bad - if the SL2 worked properly (crashes and memory corruption aside), it would be an incredible unit. i wonder if the price point is what killed it, before the lack of support from sirius killed it.

a great unit that never got the support it needed. it does have some great features that i hope will continue in whatever portable appears in the future.

This is so true. I wouldn't mind something like a Sirius SkyDock, as long as it had a similar ability to record the satellite feed, as found on the SL2, but without the bugs!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is so true. I wouldn't mind something like a Sirius SkyDock, as long as it had a similar ability to record the satellite feed, as found on the SL2, but without the bugs!

You suggesting they should just add recording ability to their XM Skydock App and call it a day?

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
This is terrible news for me. I really don't like the xmp3 at all. It's ok for recording music, if you can still stand the music channels, but it sucks for scheduled recording. Hopefully I can nurse these sl2s through another year, and I can be done with the whole damn thing.