SL2 is becoming very hard to charge

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I don't know if it is from the wear and tear of constant placing it in a dock and then removing it or if it is just due to the docks themselves but my SL2 is becoming very hard to charge. The connections on the bottom of the device have becomed stretched out or something and don't hit the right contacts in the docks. I can still listen, but I have to constantly adjust the unit to get it to charge.

The only sure way I can get it to work is by placing it in the dock and then using a peice of tape. I have to tape the top of the unit to something else in order to pull the unit back a bit to get the base to hit the contacts. I have to do this in in the car as well as the boombox. By the way, I"m using the SL100 docks that I modified so this may be part of the problem too.

Has anyone less had this problem with the SL100 or the SL2?

The peice of tape works but boy, it is about as UNCLASSY as it gets.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My unit works great so far in my 2 SL2 home docks and the car dock. Can you try an SL2 dock and see if it fixes the problem? My guess is you are more suseptable to small changes in wear with a modified SL100 dock than you would be with an SL2 dock.

Another possibility is that the battery be sweeling causing things to mis-allign. Replacing the battery would solve that problem.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
My unit works great so far in my 2 SL2 home docks and the car dock. Can you try an SL2 dock and see if it fixes the problem? My guess is you are more suseptable to small changes in wear with a modified SL100 dock than you would be with an SL2 dock.

Another possibility is that the battery be sweeling causing things to mis-allign. Replacing the battery would solve that problem.

I agree that my problem may have originated with the sl100 docks.

I don't want to buy an SL2 dock only because I keep waiting for a new portable to come out. But if it gets bad enough, I will have to.

I have used two seperate sl100 car docks with the same problem and also my boombox which, of course, was the sl100 boombox.

For now, I'll deal with it but if It gets worse, I'll go to tss and get a dock.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I agree that my problem may have originated with the sl100 docks.

I don't want to buy an SL2 dock only because I keep waiting for a new portable to come out. But if it gets bad enough, I will have to.

I have used two seperate sl100 car docks with the same problem and also my boombox which, of course, was the sl100 boombox.

For now, I'll deal with it but if It gets worse, I'll go to tss and get a dock.

With the SL100 docks, there may be more wiggle in the connection. Wiggling is never good for keeping things tight. It is also possible that your SL2 may now have its connectors wiggled looser than the specs and a new dock may not work at this point. Do you know anybody else with an SL2 dock you could try?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
With the SL100 docks, there may be more wiggle in the connection. Wiggling is never good for keeping things tight. It is also possible that your SL2 may now have its connectors wiggled looser than the specs and a new dock may not work at this point. Do you know anybody else with an SL2 dock you could try?

This is what I'm thinking. THings have wiggled so much that they are now stretched.

That is the technical explanation--too much wiggle.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wiggling is never good for keeping things tight.

Sounds like the Yogi Berra school of electronics troubleshooting! ;)

I'm using sl100 docks at home and in my car. The home docks only get used once a week or so, the car dock 2 to 6 times per day. My office dock is for an SL2. So far (knock on wood) I'm not having any issues. But I try to be pretty careful about lining things up when I dock. Sounds to me like you might have just stretched it out by not being lined up all the way when you docked.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is what I'm thinking. THings have wiggled so much that they are now stretched.

That is the technical explanation--too much wiggle.

Sorry. I will keep it in simpler more everyday wording next time instead of that techo-speak.