SL2 Device Recovery install on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by cav3ramsy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. cav3ramsy

cav3ramsy New Member

I am trying to install the Device Recovery software on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Towards what appears to be the end of the install, I get "DPInst Result: [-2147483648]" When I click OK on that, it says nothing was installed. I've tried troubleshoot compatability but still get the same result under XP SP2. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just found out about the memory bug. I will try the erase and reset and then following the other suggestions for using the SL2 until I can get the Device Recovery to work.
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I remeber reading on SBS that people had lots of issues with 64 bit OSs. When you tried XP, did you do it in 32 bit mode?
  3. cav3ramsy

cav3ramsy New Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see options that specified 32 or 64 bit. I could only chose OS and SP. XP SP2 was what Windows suggested. I read a MS document that said dpinst.exe has to do with installing drivers and 32 bit drivers won't work on a 64 bit os. A 32 bit application will. At least that is my understanding which may be totally wrong. I'm a novice that this 64 bit stuff. I have an XP 32 bit laptop here on the floor that I am going to sell on ebay. Maybe I should hang on to it and try using it since that seems to be the best way to clean-up the SL2.

It sounds as though if I follow the guidelines to not deleting recordings myself and not messing with the radio while it is recording, that I should be able to make use of the recordings and radio replays. Is that correct in your experience.

Thanks again.
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

It helps. But the longest period I have gone is 4 months. Also, mine just this morning decided it needed a recovery itself. I am hoping that this is just another manifistation of the corruption and not a hardware issue. But a reset + erase is not an option in this scenario.
  5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Hi... unfortunately it is not likely you are going to get the recovery procedure to work under Win 7 64 bit. It barely works under Windows XP 32 bit. The problem with trying capatibility mode is that it is still operating in 64 bit mode. So changing to be compatible to Windows XP means it is running in Windows XP 64 bit mode which still will not work. You will need to find a 32 bit machine to use for the recovery.

There was a thead about this on another forum, but for the life of me I can't find it now and this was the conclusion they came too, so I am not speaking from my own experience on this issue.