SL100 Recording Questions

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Got a SL100, and so far am loving it. Not sure how I lived without it. I'll write up a thorough review once I have more experience with it.

I have a couple of questions.....

First of all, I set it record Howard 100 from midnight to 6:00am, and it recorded Channel 184 Traffic/Weather instead. What the heck? OK, it could have been user error, but I don't think so. It defauted to 184, and I specifically remember scrolling the turn-dial all the way down to 100 when setting up the recording. I've set up several music recordings with success. Is this a common issue, or should I just accept that I was stupid and messed up?

And I have a question about LOVED songs. According to the Users Guide, and I quote: "When listening to the library, you may save the song title and artist information to your favorites list by pressing Love.

So does that mean it saves only the info and not the song? That's too bad. I've tried to save loved songs from both radio replays and programmed recordings. It says "Added to Favorites", but the songs never appear in the library. It seems you can only love songs when listening live.... True?

That would be such a great feature. You could record your favorite channels for long periods of time and skip through the songs and save your personal favorites. I wish we had that ability.

Anyway, so far I've been pretty impressed.... Sirius really needs to market these devices better. These portables make the service soooo much more than "Radio".

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Hey man, welcome to the Stiletto. I really dont have the answer on the scheduled recording issue.

You cant record a song off a replay, it just saves the info, not the song itself. Thank the RIAA for that one...:mad:

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
This may expalin your recording issue. When you are listening to satellite radio and go to set up a new recording, the default channel is whatever you are currently listening to. (If you are listening to Howard, the default channel in the new recording will be 100.) However, if you start up your Stiletto from shut down mode and try to set up a recording BEFORE you go into satellite radio, the recording channel will default to 184. But you can change it before you save it. Not sure if that answers your question, but it may explain how channel 184 became involved...

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for the info....

I've yet to have any success.

Last night I set up a History of Howard recording from 6:00pm-midnight. At 6:30pm I turned on the radio to check it. It turned on to Channel 100, and it displayed a heart showing that it was being recorded. Cool. I put it back into sleep mode.

I checked it this morning, and it only recorded that first half-hour until I turned the radio on. That is where the recording stopped. Very annoying. Is this typical behavior? I never stopped it. I never powered down completely. I never tried to change channels.

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the info....

It turned on to Channel 100, and it displayed a heart showing that it was being recorded. Cool. I put it back into sleep mode.

You can't do this. Once a recording has started, you can wake it up from sleep mode, but you can't put it back into sleep mode. Once it's on, it must stay on until the recording is over. Sorry, but that's the way it is with Stilettos.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
You can't do this. Once a recording has started, you can wake it up from sleep mode, but you can't put it back into sleep mode. Once it's on, it must stay on until the recording is over. Sorry, but that's the way it is with Stilettos.

Grrrrrrr...

OK Thanks.

I just checked today's recording. Heart is showing on 100. I won't power it down.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I just checked today's recording. Heart is showing on 100. I won't power it down.

Just leave your receiver on 24/7. That's what some of us do.

And I agree, Sirius needs to market the S2's better. SL100's and 10's - though still used and loved by many - are long obsolete.

XeroFuzion

Nov 25, 2008

Right. This is the same with your DVR at home. If you attempt to shut off your DVR while its recording. It should tell you "Hey, im recording something. Do you want me to stop? Or leave me alone and shut your TV off."

After seeing this, I am thinking the designers should have added that prompt in to notify the users that if they try to shut it off, it will stop the recording. I thought the radio did that?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Right. This is the same with your DVR at home. If you attempt to shut off your DVR while its recording. It should tell you "Hey, im recording something. Do you want me to stop? Or leave me alone and shut your TV off."

After seeing this, I am thinking the designers should have added that prompt in to notify the users that if they try to shut it off, it will stop the recording. I thought the radio did that?

My DVR could care less if it's on, off, or switching back and forth. If it's scheduled to record something, it does, as long as it's plugged into the wall, you're all good.

It's a scientific atlanta 8300HD from Bright House Networks cable. It's been a pretty solid DVR in my opinion.