SL 100 Dial Wheel Problem

BeBadd

Jan 15, 2009
Recently got a new Stiletto 100 to replace my other one that just died. I have experienced a problem that I never had with the other one before it passed away. The dial wheel will rotate downward without issue but will not rotate back up if let's say I over rotated to recording and want to return back up to replays it will not respond accordingly......this issue doesn't occur when it's place in the home dock but does occur in the car dock or standalone. I have two other Stiletto 10's that have been very reliable and have never experienced the issue standalone or in either docks. I tried to power off......shut down and remove battery.....still same results. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what did you do to resolve? Could it be a bug in the software. I really hate to reset and erase.....only to find it will solve nothing but remove all my recordings.

Thanks!
BeBadd

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
If it doesn't seem to happen in a home dock, I would guess it's a software problem rather than a hardware problem, If you can't get replaced through a warranty it would be great. Or if you just want try, there is a good chance a device recovery might fix the problem.

BeBadd

Jan 15, 2009
If I push a little harder on the dial to go upwards it does work. That pressure is not needed downward in the home dock or has it ever been needed on my previous dead one or any of my SL 10's that I have owned much longer. I googled the problem at others have experienced it and claim the only way to "solve" the problem is to replace. I bought and extended warranty in store but the store's dumb ass policy (after the fact) is I have to pay the difference in upgrading to the SL-2 since they no longer have the SL-100 (I happened to be "lucky" to get the last defective to replace my dead one.) No way I'm going to pay an extra $120 to make the up the difference after already having paid $60 for 3 yr extended warranty. I can still buy a brand new SL-100 for $150 online from Crutchfield Canada if I'm that desperate to waste more money.

Bebadd

BeBadd

Jan 15, 2009
Update.....now looks like the home dock is just as unresponsive......SOB!!! Trying to record Bubba's Man Party so really can't play with it much to see if it will fix itself it if I shut it down and reboot......my money is on it won't work...... As a further note I updated the receiver right away using WiFi before setting up my presets or recordings......and I used the home dock after the updates to set up all presets and recordings when the dial appeared to work troublefree so I can't even say if it was working before the updates......I suspect it's hardware not software...... I may try device recovery or perhaps reset and erase first just not looking forward to it after a full week's recordings being on it not to mention all the frickin' time setting up the 25 plus recordings and presets on it.

BeBadd

BeBadd

Jan 15, 2009
Finally bit the bullet and did a reset and erase. Lost what recordings, timers and presets I just set the week before.....same results.....wheel is unresponsive even when in the home dock.

Last option was to do a device recovery......after wasting a half plus hour of waiting for the process to finish the wheel still doesn't respond......nice to see Sirius sells such junk and not even bother to support it with new software (I also own a S50 and SL2) and now expects us to pay more for additional subs in this economy. Make loyal customers pay more for less.....what a great business plan!!!!

BeBadd

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
try this. I had dropped my S100 and the wheel was acting funny. The Board the wheel is on, plugs into the main board. If you squeeze hard on the Heart/loved symbol it might push the connector for the wheel board back into the connector of the main board. Do not push hard on the wheel.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
If this one is a warrentee replacement .... get another one. It sounds like it may be borderline hardware which will only get worse over time.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Yes, they send you garbage as a warranty replacement.
Who sends you a replacement???

You walk into Best Buy with your PSP in hand, and walk out with a brand new receiver. Case closed.

We all know by now that that's the only way to buy a high end Sirius receiver.

BeBadd

Jan 15, 2009
Who sends you a replacement???

You walk into Best Buy with your PSP in hand, and walk out with a brand new receiver. Case closed.

We all know by now that that's the only way to buy a high end Sirius receiver.
Wish it was that simple. I bought it from Wacky Wheatley's Audiotronic and purchased the extended warranty. Needless to say they aren't exactly as accommodating as BB. They no longer carry the 100 (I got the last one to replace my bricked on.) Unfortunately the one they replaced it with is the one I'm experiencing the dial wheel problem.

They now only carry the SL2 (another headache in itself) and I have to pay the difference in price according to them. Which sucks since I can buy a new SL100 from Crutchfield Canada for less then the difference price and the extended warranty I purchased back with the original 100.

I think it's safe for me to say DO NOT buy from any Audiotronics electronics store in Canada if you plan on using the extended warranty more then once or if the item you originally purchased becomes discontinued. You'll be sadly disappointed with the coverage or the lack there of.

BeBadd

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wish it was that simple. I bought it from Wacky Wheatley's Audiotronic and purchased the extended warranty. Needless to say they aren't exactly as accommodating as BB. They no longer carry the 100 (I got the last one to replace my bricked on.) Unfortunately the one they replaced it with is the one I'm experiencing the dial wheel problem.

They now only carry the SL2 (another headache in itself) and I have to pay the difference in price according to them. Which sucks since I can buy a new SL100 from Crutchfield Canada for less then the difference price and the extended warranty I purchased back with the original 100.

I think it's safe for me to say DO NOT buy from any Audiotronics electronics store in Canada if you plan on using the extended warranty more then once or if the item you originally purchased becomes discontinued. You'll be sadly disappointed with the coverage or the lack there of.

BeBadd
Keep in mind the BB warrentee in Canada is probably simular. Actually it probably is better since BB requires you to send it in for repair rather than replace. The stories you hear on this board about exchanges are from the US BB stores.

They are obligated to repair it if they can't replace it. You may be without it for 6 weeks however. And you will probably get a refurbished one back from Sirius (whom will do the 'repairs').

I would pay the price difference and get an SL2.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Keep in mind the BB warrentee in Canada is probably simular. Actually it probably is better since BB requires you to send it in for repair rather than replace. The stories you hear on this board about exchanges are from the US BB stores.
Pretty sure I haven't seen many `Wacky Wheatley's' here in the US lately either. Maybe they went the same was as those Circuit City's did.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard much about Crazy Eddie's electronics stores these days as well. But then, if I remember right, those were a NJ phenomena, so NE might have always been immune to those `insane' Crazy Eddie adds.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
OK, yet another rhetorical question - Who buys a high end receiver directly from Sirius?

True. BB was out, and didn't know when they would get some in stock. I now know how cheap this company is, and will no longer purchase anything directly from them

jeff0514

Nov 12, 2008
I have had lots of little issues with my Stiletto 100. Particularly, as of late, the devicie is unresponsive when trying to change channels via the wheel. Sometimes it helps when I do a hard reset. I have tried to exhcange my unit at Best Buy with my performance service plan, but they will only send it in for repair... not replace it. I guess I need the product replacement plan instead?

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I have had lots of little issues with my Stiletto 100. Particularly, as of late, the devicie is unresponsive when trying to change channels via the wheel. Sometimes it helps when I do a hard reset. I have tried to exhcange my unit at Best Buy with my performance service plan, but they will only send it in for repair... not replace it. I guess I need the product replacement plan instead?
Try another BB. The 4 year PSP states that products `may be repaired OR replaced' and `in SOME cases you may be required to ship your product for repair.' Giving you an on-the-spot replacement is at the discretion of each individual store and even - to some extent - the customer service person you happen to encounter.

Using my PSP, I got immediate replacements for my 4 defective S50's and 2 bad (both with broken headphone jacks) SL100's. My first and (so far) only S2 is still working after 14 months of constant use.

Just be polite but firm and insistent that you love BB and are a good customer, you love Sirius programming and products (but you just want a receiver that works), and that you really don't want to go without Sirius service while your defective radio is being sent out, repaired, and then returned. That's NOT what you bought your PSP for.