SkyDock: Coming soon, a dock to stream Satellite Radio through your iPhone

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008
sirius-xm-iphone-app-hits.jpg

On August 17th, the FCC published a few documents that reveal that Sirius XM Radio Inc. are preparing to release a new product entitled the Sirius XM SkyDock.

Of course, Sirius XM doesn't want the FCC spilling the beans to eager bloggers like your's truly - so they requested a 45-day period of confidentiality. But we do know a few things.
First off, the model number for the new XM SkyDock will be XVSAP1V1. Additionally, we know that the FM transmitter is located within the SkyDock housing.

Here's a diagram, from the FCC, showing how the device interfaces with the vehicle:
skydock.gif

The housing is inserted into the vehicle's cigarette lighter adapter socket and is only capable of FM transmissions in association with Apple's iPhone or iPod Touch and Sirius XM iPhone/iPod Touch app, according to .

In other words, when you download the Sirius XM iPhone App, the upcoming SkyDock allows you to get the available satellite radio content in your car - all using a single device.

Stay tuned, I'm hoping I'll get an upclose preview of this device next week at Sirius XM's private event in NYC.

[View FCC Reports]

DQBGdEyWfG8

---
View the original Article at Orbitcast or discuss it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't think they'll set any world records with this product, but if it can tide the current erosion of subscribers by keeping some and maybe even signing some new ones then it will be a win, win.

I think for some if they don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch then they just automatically assume OH THAT WILL BE A FAILURE! However, what I know is that iPhone and iPod Touch owners love accessories and they spend a ton of money each year on them. If this thing works well, I think it will do well. I know I'll get one and then I won't have to screw around with a separate sat radio. Basically when I walk out my door in the morning with my iPhone, I'll have my mini computer/sat radio/phone with me. It is a no brainer for someone that owns one of these devices and enjoys sat radio.

I am just waiting on Taylor to send me one so I can do a full review on it! hehehe

:bigthumbup:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It seems like a good idea for those who already have satellite radio, I'm not sure it will bring in any new subscribers.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It seems like a good idea for those who already have satellite radio, I'm not sure it will bring in any new subscribers.

Huh? How do you figure that? The SkyDock just opened the door to millions of potential new subscribers by way of existing equipment that iPhone and iPod Touch users already have. They simply have to buy the accessory that allows them to gain access to the satellites, plus of course pay a monthly subscription charge.

I think the big attraction is the lack of having to go out and buy a sat radio, but use what you already have with a SkyDock. Maybe it is just me but I see this being a positive opening for garnering new subscribers that may not would consider a new device, but having it on an existing device that they use daily already is a plus, plus. The one thing I've always hated in the past was having on device for music/pda, one device for phone calls, one device for sat radio. Now you can have all that in one single device. To me that is VERY attractive! However maybe I am very jaded being a long time iPod Touch user and now iPhone.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Will there be a home dock, or is the car dock useable also in the home? If you have an online sub/app now , will you need to upgrade to a full account?

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I really like this idea and think it is smart to leverage off an existing product. I don't have an iPhone or iTouch, but would still consider this as a replacement to one of my sirius radios if someday I get an iPhone or Touch.

What is a problem though is for Sirius subs that have invested in multiple radios on their account. Say you want this, then I guess you have to get XM radios to replace your other sirius radios to still get the multiple radio discounts. Sirius/XM really needs to find a way to mix and match or combine the services (yes, I understand the tech issues....)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
This crazy thing would't fit in my Equinox correctly. The AC outlet is on the floor.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think it is pretty simple, this setup won't be for everyone! However until we start seeing some of these used and see how flexible they can be or not we can only speculate. I know my lighter is on the lower part of my dash, but looking at it, I think I can make it work just fine.

Let's actually see some of these in use before we starting the count down to failure!

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I think it is pretty simple, this setup won't be for everyone! However until we start seeing some of these used and see how flexible they can be or not we can only speculate. I know my lighter is on the lower part of my dash, but looking at it, I think I can make it work just fine.

Let's actually see some of these in use before we starting the count down to failure!

Nah, I'm not counting down the failure. I just disappointed that it won't be practical for me in my car.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Maybe someone will sell an extension for cars such as yours? ;)

Plus I'd have to buy an EyePhone. Hehe....:scratch:

I imagine peripheral options will accompany this product eventually. I wish them the best of luck. I don't want to see SIRI|XM fail.