Site Interruption - Ongoing Maintenance

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
What if it's a thread that hasn't had a post in 2 weeks, or 2 months?

As a default, when someone goes to a thread, it should always go to the last page, not the first.
I went to the last topic on my "NewPosts" list (Foodies) and clicked on the Oct 7th date and it took me to the last post in the thread on the last page. If I click on the post title, it would take me to the first.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Know what? Forget about making new posts. I want to see the most recent post from a thread. How do I do that?
I go to the “New Posts” place. When I click a thread title it shows the first post I haven’t read in that thread.
Asking a question isn’t being critical.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm not being critical, just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish.
Now that I know what you're trying to do, I'll see if there's a way to make that happen.

I already put a decent number of hours into taking care of this site, so please don't be critical of my posting habits.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I already put a decent number of hours into taking care of this site, so please don't be critical of my posting habits.
I appreciate that, and I don't mean to sound critical of your posting habits. I only note the difference because it mostly doesn't affect you.
I go to the “New Posts” place. When I click a thread title it shows the first post I haven’t read in that thread.
You keep referring to unread posts, and I keep telling you it has nothing to do with unread posts. There is no problem accessing unread posts. If a thread has unread posts, it goes right to them. Does that sound like a problem?

When I want to post (not reply to) something in a thread, the mobile site doesn't display page numbers. It just has thread titles. When I click on the title, it takes me to page 1 of 150 (or whatever). And if I had posted something new (some time ago) and then I want to add a post, or post something else, there are no "unread posts", because they're all mine.

I'm aware that I can make a new post without going to the last page or post, but I don't want to. Because I'm often responding to a previous post (which I've previously read, so it's no longer "unread"), or checking on whether I (or others) posted the same thing a day ago, or a week ago, or a month ago. Or I'm posting something new to a thread that hasn't had a new post in a while.

I'm not really sure why the point is not getting across.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I appreciate that, and I don't mean to sound critical of your posting habits. I only note the difference because it mostly doesn't affect you.

You keep referring to unread posts, and I keep telling you it has nothing to do with unread posts. There is no problem accessing unread posts. If a thread has unread posts, it goes right to them. Does that sound like a problem?

When I want to post (not reply to) something in a thread, the mobile site doesn't display page numbers. It just has thread titles. When I click on the title, it takes me to page 1 of 150 (or whatever). And if I had posted something new (some time ago) and then I want to add a post, or post something else, there are no "unread posts", because they're all mine.

I'm aware that I can make a new post without going to the last page or post, but I don't want to. Because I'm often responding to a previous post (which I've previously read, so it's no longer "unread"), or checking on whether I (or others) posted the same thing a day ago, or a week ago, or a month ago. Or I'm posting something new to a thread that hasn't had a new post in a while.

I'm not really sure why the point is not getting across.
You asked how to see the most recent post in a thread. If I’m paying attention to a thread, new posts shows me the posts I haven’t seen yet, which are the most recent posts.

If you want to respond to a previous post you’ve already read, seeing the most recent post won’t help.

If you want to see what people have already posted (but you haven’t read) then the new posts feature will show you just that.

If you are posting something new then you don’t need to read any posts. Unless you want to make sure someone else hasn’t posted something similar, in which case the new posts feature shows that.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You asked how to see the most recent post in a thread.
And instead of answering that, you answered a different question; one which I wasn't asking.

Right now, there are hundreds of threads in this forum. I've read all of the "new" posts, so if I go to any of those threads, it puts me at the oldest post, not the newest. Nothing more to say.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If, for instance, the page 1 of 150 was at the top of a thread. It would help, yes?

Or, when you browse the forum it would show the threads and # of pages, allowing you to go to the last post.

I don't know if either of those could be accomplished, but there may be a setting.

I'll poke around, but I dont know when I'll know for sure. There may be some user settings that you can look for too.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If, for instance, the page 1 of 150 was at the top of a thread. It would help, yes?

Or, when you browse the forum it would show the threads and # of pages, allowing you to go to the last post.
Yes and yes. On a computer, it always shows the page numbers. On a mobile device, it used to, but since the upgrade, it does not.