SiriusXM Multicasting and Channel Numbers

What will happen to Sirius and XM channel numbers when multi-casting begins?

• Sirius and XM will continue to have different channel numbers for the channels they simulcast

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Sirius and XM will overhaul their channel line ups and both services will mirror each other closely

Votes: 39 84.8%

• Total voters

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think that there will be no or minimal channel changes right now. Down the road, there will probably be a massive re-alignment.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I did the math on a thread on XMFan...add all the registered users from here, XM411, and XMFan...and not even taking into account duplicate accounts, we account for only 0.6% of all SIRIUS XM subscribers. If they lose 1%, I'd be surprised.

The assumption is that the fanboards are not representitive of the feelings of the rest of the 10 million XM subs (people keep bantering about 20mill and use it as their base but this includes Sirius subs who won't have too many changes and are therefore irrelivant) and the other subs feel completely different and therefore none of them will cancel. I think this is not a solid assumption. I don't know what the cancel rate will be. I also don't know how many dual subs there are. But I don't think it will be 0. And it may take these subs 1 month or so to realize that they don't like the repitition and then cancel. I suspect the cancel rate will be higher if the subs can't find their favourite channels due to a re-numbering.

Some of them will be retained by free 3 months, etc. but they will not be paying subs.

I hope they truly did think this through and have do not have more cancellations that they have budgetted for. If they do, they may be in trouble (at least more trouble than they are already in).

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I agree that the folks you see around here are not the typical satellite radio subscribers. Most people want to turn on the radio and hear music, sports, or whatever. They are not into where the satellites are, or Sirius decades channel programming nuances vs. XM.

Satellite radio is just another appliance (like cable or satellite TV) to most people.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
I emailed Jon Zellner again, after hearing more about the possibility of "50 simulcasted, 19 unique" channels on each system:
ME: Anxious for the channel updates, and I understand how busy you must be with the merger of the channels, but I'm curious if the update(s) in November will be resulting in an IDENTICAL music channel lineup between XM and SIRIUS, or will specific channels remain unique on each system?

JON: Nathan -

There will be a few specific but most will be available on both services.

Jon
Sounds like that's a confirmation of the "50 simulcasted, 19 unique" (or there abouts) plan...

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Hmmm...perhaps not....(more recent emails):

ME:Wouldn't keeping music channels unique on one system or the other result in consumer confusion? Wouldn't it be easier to simply simulcast ALL 69 (or so) music channels on each system?

JON: Yes and we'll get close but we can't simulcast the Canadian channels.
We'll have to wait and see how "close" they get to a simulcasted music lineup...

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
I had one more question for Jon Zellner (trying to pry at WHAT channels will be "unique" to each service...now it sounds like it might only be the Canadian channels):
ME: What be become of the channels on DirecTV and Dish Network? With they get the simulcasted channels?

JON: We certainly won't be sending them different feeds...
So....simulcasted channels, then? The only uniques on each service are Canadian channels? I don't know what to make of this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It sounds like he is saying identical lineups EXCEPT for the Canadian channels. I suspect most might be Sirius but I have heard that some XM channels (a Christian station + The Loft) are staying. So maybe they will be put on both birds.

I know XM has 3 Christian stations while Sirius has 2. If it is a complete simulcast, this would mean they would either drop 1 of the XM Christian channels OR drop another non-Christian Sirius music channel to fit the extra Christian channel in.

Also, if you have 69 music channels on each, 50 of which are duplicate. That leaves 19 extra or 38 unique stations. To have 69 identical channels, they will need to cut 19 channels from the combined lineup in addition to the trashing of 'duplicate' channels from one service or the other.

I am sure XM subs are dieing to get E-Street Radio.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It sounds like he is saying identical lineups EXCEPT for the Canadian channels. I suspect most might be Sirius but I have heard that some XM channels (a Christian station + The Loft) are staying. So maybe they will be put on both birds.

I know XM has 3 Christian stations while Sirius has 2. If it is a complete simulcast, this would mean they would either drop 1 of the XM Christian channels OR drop another non-Christian Sirius music channel to fit the extra Christian channel in.

Also, if you have 69 music channels on each, 50 of which are duplicate. That leaves 19 extra or 38 unique stations. To have 69 identical channels, they will need to cut 19 channels from the combined lineup in addition to the trashing of 'duplicate' channels from one service or the other.

I am sure XM subs are dieing to get E-Street Radio.

And they can have E Street Radio, I'm anxious to get rid of it!!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Well I think Manco maybe right on this one. However, if you are going to upset folks by taking way their XM channels and basically replacing them with Sirius Channels. You might as well clean up the channel number line up as well. Just do it all at once and be done with it.

A agree, people are going to be mad no matter what. People do not like change, like ripping off a bandaid, its best to do it all at once.

Santinelli

Oct 16, 2008
Milford, NH
I am STILL surprised no one has snuck in and get ahold of the new channel lineup! What's wrong with you guys! :)

We ALL know something is going to happen, yet we've seen no true proof... Where are the corporate spy's when we need them! ;-)

Personally, either way I'm good. I love Sirius, and I love XM. I've gone to the XM side, mostly because I like the radios better. But I do miss alot on the Sirius side.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Someone on XMFAN is claiming he heard a DJ on the Pulse claim they are staying and moving to channel 12. This does not bode well for The Bridge. I would rather lose the Pulse or the 90s channel than The Bridge.