SiriusXM Multicasting and Channel Numbers

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by satradfan, Oct 19, 2008.

?

What will happen to Sirius and XM channel numbers when multi-casting begins?

1. Sirius and XM will continue to have different channel numbers for the channels they simulcast

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Sirius and XM will overhaul their channel line ups and both services will mirror each other closely

39 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I think that there will be no or minimal channel changes right now. Down the road, there will probably be a massive re-alignment.
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The assumption is that the fanboards are not representitive of the feelings of the rest of the 10 million XM subs (people keep bantering about 20mill and use it as their base but this includes Sirius subs who won't have too many changes and are therefore irrelivant) and the other subs feel completely different and therefore none of them will cancel. I think this is not a solid assumption. I don't know what the cancel rate will be. I also don't know how many dual subs there are. But I don't think it will be 0. And it may take these subs 1 month or so to realize that they don't like the repitition and then cancel. I suspect the cancel rate will be higher if the subs can't find their favourite channels due to a re-numbering.

Some of them will be retained by free 3 months, etc. but they will not be paying subs.

I hope they truly did think this through and have do not have more cancellations that they have budgetted for. If they do, they may be in trouble (at least more trouble than they are already in).
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I agree that the folks you see around here are not the typical satellite radio subscribers. Most people want to turn on the radio and hear music, sports, or whatever. They are not into where the satellites are, or Sirius decades channel programming nuances vs. XM.

Satellite radio is just another appliance (like cable or satellite TV) to most people.
  4. syphix

syphix Member

I emailed Jon Zellner again, after hearing more about the possibility of "50 simulcasted, 19 unique" channels on each system:
    Sounds like that's a confirmation of the "50 simulcasted, 19 unique" (or there abouts) plan...
  5. syphix

syphix Member

Hmmm...perhaps not....(more recent emails):

We'll have to wait and see how "close" they get to a simulcasted music lineup...
  6. syphix

syphix Member

I had one more question for Jon Zellner (trying to pry at WHAT channels will be "unique" to each service...now it sounds like it might only be the Canadian channels):
    So....simulcasted channels, then? The only uniques on each service are Canadian channels? I don't know what to make of this.
  7. IdRatherBeSkiing

It sounds like he is saying identical lineups EXCEPT for the Canadian channels. I suspect most might be Sirius but I have heard that some XM channels (a Christian station + The Loft) are staying. So maybe they will be put on both birds.

I know XM has 3 Christian stations while Sirius has 2. If it is a complete simulcast, this would mean they would either drop 1 of the XM Christian channels OR drop another non-Christian Sirius music channel to fit the extra Christian channel in.

Also, if you have 69 music channels on each, 50 of which are duplicate. That leaves 19 extra or 38 unique stations. To have 69 identical channels, they will need to cut 19 channels from the combined lineup in addition to the trashing of 'duplicate' channels from one service or the other.

I am sure XM subs are dieing to get E-Street Radio.
  8. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

And they can have E Street Radio, I'm anxious to get rid of it!!
  9. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

A agree, people are going to be mad no matter what. People do not like change, like ripping off a bandaid, its best to do it all at once.
  10. givemealiter

givemealiter Member

Yeah, theyre gonna rearrange the channels, mainly on xm, i'm sure, its gonna be sad seeing some channels go...:(
  11. GoodDog

GoodDog Well-Known Member

Hey watch it, thats one of my fav channels!

There are lots of channels I never listen to, but that’s what makes sat radio so great. Varity.
  12. Santinelli

Santinelli Member

I am STILL surprised no one has snuck in and get ahold of the new channel lineup! What's wrong with you guys! :)

We ALL know something is going to happen, yet we've seen no true proof... Where are the corporate spy's when we need them! ;-)

Personally, either way I'm good. I love Sirius, and I love XM. I've gone to the XM side, mostly because I like the radios better. But I do miss alot on the Sirius side.
  13. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I've got a feeling that something will leak by the end of this week.
  14. IdRatherBeSkiing

Someone on XMFAN is claiming he heard a DJ on the Pulse claim they are staying and moving to channel 12. This does not bode well for The Bridge. I would rather lose the Pulse or the 90s channel than The Bridge.
  15. Tgajr

Tgajr Member

Dont even start!

This will start an uproar!
  16. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I don't think that matters. A lot of channel numbers will likely change.