SiriusXM iPhone App?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I actually used it last night to listen to Cinemagic for 2+ hours and my battery (which started off at 100% was down to 74%.) Thats not to bad, and I was doing it via 3G for most of the time.

For whatever reason, in my experience, the wifi seems to be more of a battery drain than using the mobile network.

S

stumpy

I'm beginning to wonder if this app will ever come out. From what I've seen, it's ready but just mired in red tape.

In the meantime, I've installed uSirius and Orb on the boot camp volume and the new Orb app from the app store. Seems to be working ok, but that's as long as the server stays up.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Why would they be in a rush to get this out? It undercuts their own portable unit sales. The only incentive to Sirius/XM, would be if they charged you for the app, or if they forced you to take the premium streaming subscription in order to use the app. Otherwise, there is no incremental revenue to justify the development and distribution costs.

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
Instead of paying $9.99 for orb from the app store, you can just point your iphones browser to mycast.orb.com which is set up to display and act properly on the iphone.

There is also a free lite version of orb. I don't see the point in spending the 10 bucks.

If any developer is reading this - please make a sirius app for the iphone (that can record). I would do anything to carry around JUST my iphone and not have to worry about the stiletto anymore.

S

stumpy

I already paid the $10 bucks. I tried the lite version and it was pointing me to random stations. I didn't seem to be able to choose my favorites.

As far as mycast, yeah, that worked but it was kind of clunky. I like the native application. It works well on the phone.

It wasn't a big deal to buy it. I told the Starplayr guys that I'd gladly pay good cash for that iPhone app.. it's worth it.

Nov 6, 2008
Actually they have applications for the I-Phone. You can listen to Pride Radio and I imagine some others radio stations out there. I don't know how much the applications cost. I think people would rather download songs to an I-Phone like they with their I-Pod or cell phone they have. Why pay for some application so your I-Phone can receive some special radio station. They could have a Sirius or XM radio application but that would reduce the need for you to buy a player.

pjtoadie

Nov 12, 2008
The StarPlayr for the iphone/touch is done they're just waiting for the ok to release it. I sent GeeksToolBox(They developed the app) a pm and they said it will come out they just don't have a release date as of yet.

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
The StarPlayr for the iphone/touch is done they're just waiting for the ok to release it. I sent GeeksToolBox(They developed the app) a pm and they said it will come out they just don't have a release date as of yet.

Yep...they've been waiting on Apple to put in in the App Store, as I understand it.

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
Wow this is very exciting! I can't wait to have starplayr on my iphone!

Now can they do an update that will let you record onto your iphone? That would be amazing!

RoadRunner

Oct 13, 2008
Why would they be in a rush to get this out? It undercuts their own portable unit sales. The only incentive to Sirius/XM, would be if they charged you for the app, or if they forced you to take the premium streaming subscription in order to use the app. Otherwise, there is no incremental revenue to justify the development and distribution costs.
I disagree. Since they LOSE money on every radio they sell, they could slow the bleeding by getting somebody else to subsidize the hardware side. Although there is an increased risk that by not selling you the radio, you're more likely to walk away.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I disagree. Since they LOSE money on every radio they sell, they could slow the bleeding by getting somebody else to subsidize the hardware side. Although there is an increased risk that by not selling you the radio, you're more likely to walk away.

There are definitely advantages both ways. You are going to get a lot more churn if there is no end user investment in hardware. But a subscriber is a subscriber. Like I said, maybe it would make sense to require the upgrade to the Premium streaming level. I had to do it with my Sonos to get the streaming to work. They are really going to need to think "outside the box" to get some growth. They've only managed to cut costs so far, and that won't get you across the goal line.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
There are definitely advantages both ways. You are going to get a lot more churn if there is no end user investment in hardware. But a subscriber is a subscriber. Like I said, maybe it would make sense to require the upgrade to the Premium streaming level. I had to do it with my Sonos to get the streaming to work. They are really going to need to think "outside the box" to get some growth. They've only managed to cut costs so far, and that won't get you across the goal line.

It could work like this, I'm a slacker plus subscriber, I had no desire to get a G2, but I have the Slacker iPhone app, and have since the first day, and liked it so much that I ponied up the $48 a year for the slacker plus subscription, and am very pleased I did. Sirius could stand to do the same thing, and not make it so you have to be a subscriber already to get any use out of it. Maybe stick one or two commercials per 1/2 hour on the free service and offer a reasonable yearly fee for a subscription. It might not get them out of financial trouble, but it'd be a nice start.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It could work like this, I'm a slacker plus subscriber, I had no desire to get a G2, but I have the Slacker iPhone app, and have since the first day, and liked it so much that I ponied up the $48 a year for the slacker plus subscription, and am very pleased I did. Sirius could stand to do the same thing, and not make it so you have to be a subscriber already to get any use out of it. Maybe stick one or two commercials per 1/2 hour on the free service and offer a reasonable yearly fee for a subscription. It might not get them out of financial trouble, but it'd be a nice start.

That's an interesting idea. I'm already paying the $2.99/month for the premium subscription, and have no plans to change.

However, if I was looking at this as a newcomer, for my Internet listening, I'd probably end up going with Slacker than paying Sirius the monthly fee. Someday this could all change, but there are plenty of places out there to get free streaming music. There's really no particular appeal to Sirius music programming versus what else is out there. I'd go so far as to say that Slacker or Pandora might be more preferable because of the ability you have to customize it.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
if an iphone app is developed, that would immedietly kill the need for a stilletto. it would be awesome, cuz u could use ur phone in the car for sirius as well.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't see the iPhone app as a big game changer. There are so many other sources these days to get music via iPhone (like Slacker).

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
if an iphone app is developed, that would immedietly kill the need for a stilletto. it would be awesome, cuz u could use ur phone in the car for sirius as well.

Is is here and will be live soon.

I have the Beta version on my iPhone now and it's great.