SiriusXM Android App ??

Mrwirez

Nov 10, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just ordered the new Verizon Motorola Droid. I have been scouring the internet for apps and hacks for listening to Sirius on the Android 2.0 operating system. Has anyone heard about an app that will run on Android, or will Sirius going to develop one for themselves. There is going to be a huge roll out for Verizon and the Droid in Times Square on Friday Nov. 6th. That is practically in Sirius's view... I hope they see it. :shock:

Is it possible to stream from the Sirius site over the phone through the Verizon network or on the Droids wi-fi?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I had asked about using the iPod Touch to navigate to Sirius.com and listening online that way, and I think the answer was that I couldn't because the Sirius website uses Java (or something similar) which the iPod Touch didn't support.

I could be waaaaaaaaaay wrong though.

I'm sure the hacks will come with time, but it seems like you need the iPhone.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
You'll have to wait until Sirius realizes its in their best interest to support the other smartphone platforms. Even the people who WANT the iPhone are sick of AT&T. I'm most likely going with an Android phone next upgrade I get, unless the iPhone comes to Sprint or VZW, in which case I'd consider switching to VZW to get it. No way in hell I'm going to AT&T and giving them almost $90 a month for a phone that works only half the time, and has EDGE coverage if I drive 20miles north.

Mrwirez

Nov 10, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hear ya

You'll have to wait until Sirius realizes its in their best interest to support the other smartphone platforms. Even the people who WANT the iPhone are sick of AT&T. I'm most likely going with an Android phone next upgrade I get, unless the iPhone comes to Sprint or VZW, in which case I'd consider switching to VZW to get it. No way in hell I'm going to AT&T and giving them almost $90 a month for a phone that works only half the time, and has EDGE coverage if I drive 20miles north.

The number one reason iDon't have the iPhone is AT&T. I dumped them years ago and never looked back. I heard Howard Stern bitching about his AT&T BB Bold.... In the middle of Manhattan?? WTF. They got problems and he ended up on Verizon. Btw.. the number two reason iDon't use anything Apple is.. It's all too expensive and proprietary... Sorta like Sirius. :p

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
The number one reason iDon't have the iPhone is AT&T. I dumped them years ago and never looked back. I heard Howard Stern bitching about his AT&T BB Bold.... In the middle of Manhattan?? WTF. They got problems and he ended up on Verizon. Btw.. the number two reason iDon't use anything Apple is.. It's all too expensive and proprietary... Sorta like Sirius. :p

Wow, this new AT&T data coverage map SUCKS. It's almost like they're trying to trick people into thinking they have more 3G.

Check my area, 03833. It's pitiful. I'm less than 50 miles outside of Boston, 30miles out of Manchester, NH. That's simply inexcusable. My Sprint phone has more 3G in my state than AT&T does!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It does make you wonder how many people actually do compare coverage maps when they are considering getting service. My old provider Centennial didn't have 3G and had absolutely NO plan to roll it out. AT&T is in the process of buying them now. We didn't have Verizon in our area until they bought out Alltell and even those stores were just recently rebranded. Unfortunately for Verizon in my area, they are still using all Alltell towers and such, which has pretty poor coverage so AT&T actually has the better overall coverage.

I do think that 3G coverage though is probably better with Verizon even in my area, but unfortunately ZERO rural coverage, you can only get service at all while on the interstates and in larger cities, so having 3G just in those areas and ZERO coverage otherwise is the reason I have AT&T and an iPhone!

Seems all areas are different when it comes to coverage. AT&T does have 3G coverage in all the major cities in our state except for 2 and they are both in roll out phase now. In fact the turn on date for my area is tomorrow Nov 2. I am not holding my breath that it will actually happen. When Verizon grows up in my area, I may consider them, but right now with no rural coverage NO WAY! While AT&T coverage isn't perfect they have made a lot of effort to get towers in the rural areas in which I work on a daily basis. My old carrier Centennial Wireless still have the best 2G rural coverage, but they have way to many limits on their data, for example they don't allow you to stream data at all and tethering... what's that? LOL

By the way I think Sirius XM is just waiting to see how well the iPhone application does for them before venturing off into Android or Windows Mobile or RIM etc. If it does well I suspect we'll see them slowly roll out applications for all those phone OS's. Those of us that have been around awhile though no they do nothing in a hurry.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Wow, this new AT&T data coverage map SUCKS. It's almost like they're trying to trick people into thinking they have more 3G.

Check my area, 03833. It's pitiful. I'm less than 50 miles outside of Boston, 30miles out of Manchester, NH. That's simply inexcusable. My Sprint phone has more 3G in my state than AT&T does!

People are going bonkers for the iPhone without actually researching it. In my area (and i'd imagine others), Verizon is saying "Before you chose a phone...choose a network." IMO, it's a stab at the iPhone, especially since the ads also include maps of AT&T's 3G coverage compared to Verizon's 3G coverage.

And yeah, i'd imagine that one provider's coverage in one area may be different than the competition's coverage in that same area. Check the coverage in your area before you decide on a phone. Just because one provider is good in another area doesn't mean anything in your area.

My friend has an iPhone and it always sounds like he's far away. I did hear that some iPhones have problems with the built-in microphones, though. Also, when I had Cingular, their phones consistently interfered with speakers ("GSM buzz.") If AT&T is the same way, I wonder if the iPhone has the same interference issues.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Verizon is saying "Before you chose a phone...choose a network." IMO, it's a stab at the iPhone, especially since the ads also include maps of AT&T's 3G coverage compared to Verizon's 3G coverage.

I think this is more of a jab at AT&T than the iPhone. Don't forget the CEO of Verizon has said it over and over they would LOVE to have the iPhone.

My friend has an iPhone and it always sounds like he's far away. I did hear that some iPhones have problems with the built-in microphones, though. Also, when I had Cingular, their phones consistently interfered with speakers ("GSM buzz.") If AT&T is the same way, I wonder if the iPhone has the same interference issues.

Like any other device an iPhone isn't totally free from issues. I have heard that about the built in microphones too, but I've never noticed any poor sound quality when talking to others who have iPhones. Coming from a Moto Razr 2 with Crytal Talk which was excellent I've not really had anyone say anything to me about it when I talk to them either.

GSM by its very nature causes interference in most electronics that aren't shielded. The key is that most electronics now are shielded, though there are still many folks out there that have speakers and or other devices that aren't shielded they will here this buzz. I know I have an old head unit in my business car and I hear the buzz when someone is texting or calling if the phone is close by. In my personal car I have a new head unit and I get no buzz whatsoever even with the phone sitting right under it in a cubby hole. My moto Razr 2 did the same thing!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think this is more of a jab at AT&T than the iPhone. Don't forget the CEO of Verizon has said it over and over they would LOVE to have the iPhone.

By all accounts, Verizon was contacted by Apple about the iPhone, but the deal couldn't get done, so they went to AT&T.

A Verizon iPhone would be kick ass. I'm sure it'll come eventually, though.

GSM by its very nature causes interference in most electronics that aren't shielded. The key is that most electronics now are shielded, though there are still many folks out there that have speakers and or other devices that aren't shielded they will here this buzz. I know I have an old head unit in my business car and I hear the buzz when someone is texting or calling if the phone is close by. In my personal car I have a new head unit and I get no buzz whatsoever even with the phone sitting right under it in a cubby hole. My moto Razr 2 did the same thing!

It was really freaky in the car. Keeping my phone in my pocket, and having a speaker in the door, the car audio would "warp or "distort" or whatever a few seconds before the phone would ring.

I did see some hilbilly contraption where someone took an empty can of Red Bull, and somehow used the can to block the interference.

Still, having a phone work in harmony with speakers is very, very nice. :) :yesshake:

dleising

Oct 31, 2008
I too am getting the Droid on Friday and do hope to have a streaming solution for satellite radio listening on Android in the future...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
With the recent upgrade by AT&T to their towers in my area, they ARE the #1 network to have for coverage. In my basement I can get 5 bars of 3G where I was lucky to get 1 bar of EDGE before the upgrade. When I had Verizon before, the guy in the Verizon store had to go OUTSIDE to activate the phone because of reception and coverage issues, that should have been my first clue. Plus the 'Can you hear me now' commercials make me want to cockpunch the four-eyed twerp!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
By all accounts, Verizon was contacted by Apple about the iPhone, but the deal couldn't get done, so they went to AT&T.

A Verizon iPhone would be kick ass. I'm sure it'll come eventually, though.

I am sure there were negotiations with both companies and AT&T was willing to make some concessions that Verizon was not. One was that Apple didn't want the carriers logo or name on their phone. AT&T agreed, Verizon did not. The next hurdle was carrier subsidies AT&T was willing to give Apple more than Verizon.

While AT&T has paid dearly for the iPhone, I think their network has paid a big price. However, I think if the iPhone ever is released to Verizon and many switch over to them. Because of everything AT&T has had to do with their network to make it work with the iPhone and keep up with capacity. They will in the long run have the better network, so in the end the iPhone has forced AT&T to build a better network. I also don't think Verizon would have faired any better than AT&T had they been the exclusive provider for the iPhone. No one every dreamed these phones would sell this well and put such a demand on the network as has happened.

For every story you hear about how terrible AT&T is there is one for Verizon. So, its just one of those things were everyone has their experiences and that is what they go with. Thus far my AT&T experience has been a good one!

There is a thread about a new Blackberry Application for Sirius XM, so I am sure it is just a matter of time before they release one for the Android.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
AT&T was incredible in Orlando. Verizon was very spotty.

Verizon is very good in Atlanta. AT&T is very spotty.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
People are going bonkers for the iPhone without actually researching it. In my area (and i'd imagine others), Verizon is saying "Before you chose a phone...choose a network." IMO, it's a stab at the iPhone, especially since the ads also include maps of AT&T's 3G coverage compared to Verizon's 3G coverage.

And yeah, i'd imagine that one provider's coverage in one area may be different than the competition's coverage in that same area. Check the coverage in your area before you decide on a phone. Just because one provider is good in another area doesn't mean anything in your area.

Believe me, I've thought about going to the "dark side" more than once. But I can't justify spending $90 a month when they don't even have 3G on the length of a major state highway that connects our tourist trap (Hampton Beach) to the biggest city in our state (Manchester). There's like a 15 mile gap on the end of it that's all EDGE until you make it into Manchester's city limits. If they get this covered with 3G by next year round tax time, and Sprint doesn't come out with a decent Android keyboard phone with multitouch (the Hero's missing a keyboard, and the Moment doesn't have multitouch) who knows, the urge to get an iPhone might overcome me and I'll either go on a trip and roam a ton or pay to get out of my contract and switch. But it ain't happening until at&t gets off their ass and covers that road. Who knows, maybe early next year Verizon will get the iPhone. Then it'll be a no-brainer. Verizon has the best coverage around these parts, then it's a tossup between at&t and Sprint, followed (by a huge margin, they're truly PITIFUL here) by T-Mobile.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AT&T was incredible in Orlando. Verizon was very spotty.

Verizon is very good in Atlanta. AT&T is very spotty.

Yep that was my point exactly, to say because it is great in your area means they are the better choice just isn't so in all areas. Like I said in my area Verizon has ZERO coverage in rural areas, but AT&T has become pretty darn solid. I can't let 3G steer my decision because if I did that I'd have ZERO coverage in some areas and so I'd rather have Edge and coverage in those rural areas with AT&T.

Every area is different! I also agree with Verizon when they say, look at network first and then decide on a phone. I did just that because in the past I had purchased an iPhone and ended up returning it because AT&T coverage on the original iPhone was so bad. I stayed with my regional carrier. I raised so much hell about how pathetic their coverage was they waived the 15% restocking fee on the iPhone. LOL

I talked a crap load of AT&T customers prior to switching this time to make sure I had the coverage before buying the iPhone.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
EDGE, 3G.

As long as I can hear the guy at the other end, it's all good.

:p

Sirius Smurf

Oct 14, 2008
I haven't posted in a while and I came straight here because I just felt strongly compelled to do so.

As a huge fan of sat radio is beyond me and even frustrating to see how this company hasn't gotten into the Android market. Last week I got my first "smart phone" the new Motorola Cliq which is an Android based phone, and I absolutely LOVE it. I've had Pandora for a while but I barely ever used it because I usually listen to Sirius when I'm in front of a computer.

Whenever I go for a run I usually take my Stiletto and since I'm in a big city my reception is good, nonetheless (As Riley Martin would say), I still get the expected (and annoying) signal drop out here and there. Playing with the phone I downloaded a cool GPS based app that keeps track of your workouts and gives you all kinds of data. I also downloaded the Pandora app to my Cliq. Today I took the phone with me, left the Stiletto behind, and after starting up the workout app I fired up the Pandora app and I was just blown away. I ran over two miles without a single skip, or drop of sound, and not a single problem whatsoever. What is Sirius waiting for?????

It took Sirius over a year from the time the merger was approved to roll out the iphone app and it does not seem that they have plans of releasing an Android app this year. If I had to guess we wont have an Android app until at least the summer of 2010 and I sincerely hope they prove me wrong. Meanwhile slacker and pandora which are FREE will keep gaining ground on the phones area. More and more android phones on different carriers will be released in the near future there are even rumors of a Dell Android phone coming out on Att!!

I just hope Sirius doesn't get in on this when is too late.

Now all I'm waiting for is the Slingbox that I ordered from TSS to watch Howard TV on my new phone while riding the bus, and life will be just perfect :D

Sorry for giving you five dollars instead of 2 cents. :)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
My IT buddy here at our firm just got a Droid today. It seemed like a very well built phone. I would probably get one, but no siriusxm app, I would still need another device to get satellite.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My IT buddy here at our firm just got a Droid today. It seemed like a very well built phone. I would probably get one, but no siriusxm app, I would still need another device to get satellite.

I checked out one of the Droid's today for about 20 minutes. The screen is great, very nice indeed. Touch screen seems to work pretty well. I was able to text on both the virtual and qwerty keyboards with no problem. I found the qwerty had no real tactile feeling to it, but then virtual keyboards don't either.

Overall I think this is a damn nice phone. However, for me it begs the question would I give up my iPhone for it? I think IF and that is a BIG IF Verizon had really superior coverage in my area, I would certainly consider it. However, that simply isn't the case. However, in all fairness I decided to take Verizon for my own personal test spin. So, I did one of the throw away prepaid and I am just trying it out now to see what their actual coverage is like.

Thus for my conclusion is in some areas it is better than AT&T and in other areas not so good. I have yet to actually take it in the rural areas and that won't come till Thursday.

I'd be hard pressed to give up my iPhone even with its current limitations vs the Droid. I am not really considering it in all fairness, but do want to see what Verizon has in the way of coverage and I'll know here shortly.