SiriusStreamer v1.0 beta release (uSirius Replacement)

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009
SiriusStreamer v1.1 beta release (uSirius Replacement)

In the absence of uSirius updates, I'm proud to announce the first beta release of my new Sirius streaming application, SiriusStreamer!

I attempted to capture the primary functions of uSirius, but am limited to those that I'm aware of. If there are features missing that you would like to see, by all means, please let me know.

NOTE: This is a beta release. I have tested it as best I can on short notice, so please be prepared for the occasional bug to show up, and report such bugs here.

ss_configuration.png

When you launch the application the first time, you will be presented with the configuration page. You must enter the relevant data here before you can start the server.

Username - Your Sirius Internet Radio username.
Password - Your Sirius Internet Radio password.
Listening IP - The IP address to listen for requests on. In most cases, "All" should be sufficient.
Listening Port - The port to listen for requests on. If you will be streaming to other devices, be sure to allow the TCP port in Window Firewall.
Published URL - The URL used for published links. This is the base URL used for all streaming links served by the application. In most cases, this should be set to the primary IP address of the host machine (rarely, should it be set to the default of 127.0.0.1).

ss_log.png

The log tab shows all activity since the application was launched.

ss_channels.png

The channels tab provides a full list of all channels available from Sirius. If you find that some channels are missing, use the Options->Refresh Channel Lineup menu command to reload the channel list.
Double-clicking on a channel will launch the streaming link for that channel in your default browser. Right-clicking on the channel will provide a number of useful copy commands for copying the relevant streaming link.

The Feeds drop down provides a list of available channel RSS feeds. Select the feed you would like to use and click "Open" to open it in your default browser, or click "Copy" to copy the link to the clipboard.

ss_menu_options.png

The Options menu provides a few additional configuration options.

Hide When Minimized - Sets the application to minimize to the notification area on the Windows task bar.
Automatically Check For Updates - Sets the application to automatically check for updates when launched. You can also check for updates manually via the Help menu.
Start Server Automatically - Sets the application to automatically start the streaming server when launched. Setting this option, and copying the shortcut to the "Start Up" group in the Windows Start menu will cause the application to start serving streams at Windows start up.
Refresh Channel Lineup - Clears the current channel listing and reloads them from the Sirius web site.

SiriusStreamer v1.1.5 can be downloaded here: http://www.permanence.com/sirius/files/SiriusStreamer115.msi
The official website can be found here: SiriusStreamer - Sirius Internet Radio Stream Proxy

Any and all feedback is welcomed! Thank you...

TheEndless

Last edited:
Reactions: hexagram

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
Great. I'm going to re-create my ASX playlist and after testing it, I'll post it here for people that want to access this with Windows media player/media center.

At first I was worried that there was no "high bandwidth" option, but I see your program defaults to the high bandwidth stream.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'll be doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on the server, I'll be sure to install this and let you know what happens (Best of XM compatibility, etc).

Thanks for developing, bud! :icon_smile:

willie321

Oct 18, 2008
Pennsylvania
+1 for adding SiriusStreamer 1.0.0 - As soon as the better half gets up will run it through its paces in TVersity, running fine thru Windows media player

Thanks!

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
Testing OK so far through Tversity and Media Center with an ASX file.

I have modified my previous ASX playlist, but there's one discrepancy with the way it used to work before. Now, when I play a channel in Media Center off the playlist, it works... but instead of the channel's title remaining on my screen during playback, it will change to "Reflector:XXXXX". Not a big deal because the channel still plays, but it wreaks a little bit of havoc on my playlist queue as well... for example, before with uSirius I would hit "play all" so that all the channels would add to the play queue, then I could easily switch between them with one click. But now when I do that, the channels disappear from the queue and are replaced with "Reflector:XXXXX" and "playbackupasx". Kind of hard to explain, but this stuff didn't happen with uSirius before.

Anyway, attached is my ASX file for whoever wants to use it. It's especially useful if you have a media center pc and/or extender, as you can access Sirius directly from it as a playlist. This list includes Best of XM channels, so you if you don't have that addon, those channels won't play. After saving the file, open it and replace instances of "YOUR_IP" with your computer's IP. Then rename it from TXT to ASX and place it in the My Music\My Playlists folder.

Attachments

• SiriusStreamerASX.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 58

stimulate

Nov 28, 2009
Help with Foobar2000

Thanks very much for this as I have missed uSirius. I will be glad to donate.

SiriusStreamer works perfectly if I Listen to a channel. It opens WMP 11 and plays.

Since the demise of uSirius, I stopped using Tversity and I have been using foobar2000 with foo_upnp component and it is great. I have several media renderer network boxes around the house. But I cannot figure out how to configure foobar2000 playlists to work with SiriusStreamer.

In foobar2000 (1.0 beta 0.1 ) you can Add Location and put in a url and it will play streaming radio. I am using this with several radio stations. In some cases I have to get the asx url, and then Save Link As to actually download the file. Then I open the asx and find the url to paste into foobar2000.

I have downloaded Phreaker47 asx playlist and changed it to my IP address and also tried it as 127.0.0.1. If I Add Location to foobar it creates a playlist with all the Sirius channels, but foobar cannot play any of them.

I changed the File Type for asf and asx files from WMP to foobar2000.

I have also tried the Save Link As trick with individual channel asx files. I get an asx file with two links - one akamai . . . and another with /player . . . I am stumped.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I am just guessing at this point. Thanks.

Last edited:

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009
...for example, before with uSirius I would hit "play all" so that all the channels would add to the play queue, then I could easily switch between them with one click. But now when I do that, the channels disappear from the queue and are replaced with "Reflector:XXXXX" and "playbackupasx". Kind of hard to explain, but this stuff didn't happen with uSirius before.
I understand exactly what you mean. I'll look into fixing this. I'll also look into adding a playlist generator that will automatically generate an ASX like yours.

Thanks for the feedback!
TheEndless

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009
Thanks very much for this as I have missed uSirius. I will be glad to donate.

SiriusStreamer works perfectly if I Listen to a channel. It opens WMP 11 and plays.

Since the demise of uSirius, I stopped using Tversity and I have been using foobar2000 with foo_upnp component and it is great. I have several media renderer network boxes around the house. But I cannot figure out how to configure foobar2000 playlists to work with SiriusStreamer.

In foobar2000 (1.0 beta 0.1 ) you can Add Location and put in a url and it will play streaming radio. I am using this with several radio stations. In some cases I have to get the asx url, and then Save Link As to actually download the file. Then I open the asx and find the url to paste into foobar2000.

I have downloaded Phreaker47 asx playlist and changed it to my IP address and also tried it as 127.0.0.1. If I Add Location to foobar it creates a playlist with all the Sirius channels, but foobar cannot play any of them.

I changed the File Type for asf and asx files from WMP to foobar2000.

I have also tried the Save Link As trick with individual channel asx files. I get an asx file with two links - one akamai . . . and another with /player . . . I am stumped.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I am just guessing at this point. Thanks.
Stimulate, try adding a "&format=m3u" to the end of the url and let me know if that works with foobar2000.

For example: http://<your.ip.address>:51710/sirius?channel=30&format=m3u

This will render an m3u file (with an mms url) to the player instead of an asx which may work better for you. I'm working on making this an option for the feeds as well.

TheEndless

stimulate

Nov 28, 2009
Yes! Works with Foobar2000

Thanks very much! This works with individual channels. I wish I had tried this earlier.

Indeed if you select a channel from the SiriusStreamer channel list and Copy > M3U URL and then you can paste that into the Add Location field and it adds the channel to a Playlist.

I can play the channel from foobar2000 and it also streams using foo_upnp as long as you enable the "Show Playlists" option in foo_upnp.

For now I will make a separate playlist with the name of the Sirius channel and paste in the m3u format.

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
I understand exactly what you mean. I'll look into fixing this. I'll also look into adding a playlist generator that will automatically generate an ASX like yours.

Thanks for the feedback!
TheEndless

Thanks. Also, unfortunately, my playlist does not work at all on my media center extender. I just get a "there was a problem trying to play back..." error when I select a channel. I can see SiriusTuner receiving the channel request, but the issue must be related to what I described before.

I see you have a paypal donate page set up. I sent a little something your way. Thanks for the hard work!

Edit: tried a version of the playlist with the m3u option tagged on. Still won't play on the extender.

Last edited:

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009
Thanks. Also, unfortunately, my playlist does not work at all on my media center extender. I just get a "there was a problem trying to play back..." error when I select a channel. I can see SiriusTuner receiving the channel request, but the issue must be related to what I described before.

I see you have a paypal donate page set up. I sent a little something your way. Thanks for the hard work!
I'd bet your extender doesn't like the http URLs. Try changing them to mms:// in your playlist and let me know if that makes a difference. If not, then try adding a "&format=m3u" to the end of the URLs and give it another try.

Thank you very much for the donation!
TheEndless

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
I'd bet your extender doesn't like the http URLs. Try changing them to mms:// in your playlist and let me know if that makes a difference. If not, then try adding a "&format=m3u" to the end of the URLs and give it another try.

Thank you very much for the donation!
TheEndless

The http URLs were fine before on the extender with uSirius.

I tried the m3u one just now, didn't work. I'll try mms.

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
mms doesn't work at all, on the PC or the extender.
As for the M3u links, I should say they played on the media center PC ok, just not the extender. Also, strange things still happen to my playlist such as my playlist <title> tag, "Sirius Satellite Radio" will replace playlist item titles... ie, if I play "Sirius 1 - SIRIUS Hits 1", then go back to the channel/playlist list, "Sirius 1 - SIRIUS Hits 1" is now replaced with "Sirius Satellite Radio" on the list. However, when the links are M3u, I *don't* get the currently playing item changing to "Reflector:XXXXX". That part of it is better. I still see the <title> tag from the <entry>.

Last edited:

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
'SIRIUS with XM' works again with Xbox 360. Listening to Jason Ellis on SIRIUS 197 right now.

Good job, sir! :bigclap:

Suggestion: uSIRIUS did not have this feature, but I thought it would be nice: find a way to pass on the programming data (Artist/Title) to the Xbox 360. TVersity supports this feature, but I'm not sure exactly how they handle the stream when it receives the URL. It still passes on the channel number and name [ex. 146 - SIRIUS Left], so it's no big deal. Just a suggestion :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
'SIRIUS with XM' works again with Xbox 360. Listening to Jason Ellis on SIRIUS 197 right now.

Suggestion: uSIRIUS did not have this feature, but I thought it would be nice: find a way to pass on the programming data (Artist/Title) to the Xbox 360. TVersity supports this feature, but I'm not sure exactly how they handle the stream when it receives the URL. It still passes on the channel number and name [ex. 146 - SIRIUS Left], so it's no big deal. Just a suggestion :thumbsup:

I think your suggestion is easier said than done, because DLNA servers such as Tversity rely on a fixed XML code provided by SiriusStreamer for its feeds which can't be dynamically changed with artist and track information on the fly and that information is not embedded in the stream itself. I'm not sure what feature you're referring to in Tversity, but if you're thinking of MP3 or other web streams, that's different, because the tag information is embedded in the files, making the display of that information possible. With Sirius, you have to pull that information from an external web server. That is how programs like Stream_on do it, but that program has the luxury of being a custom app that doesn't have to conform to other standards.

Last edited:

Phreaker47

Nov 14, 2009
Anyway, Endless... not sure about my extender problem, but again http feeds from uSirius worked through it so I'm not sure what the issue is here. The only thing I can suggest is what I see, and that is this "reflector:xxxxx" and "playbackupasx" information getting thrown back at the client. uSirius didn't do that, and the http URLs played back fine on both the media center and the extender with none of the title information in my playlist getting changed by the server.

If it helps at all, I will attach the ASX that previously worked with usirius. Maybe the URL structure might be some kind of hint for you.

Attachments

• Sirius_Streams.asx.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think your suggestion is easier said than done, because DLNA servers such as Tversity rely on a fixed XML code provided by SiriusStreamer for its feeds which can't be dynamically changed with artist and track information on the fly. I'm not sure what feature you're referring to in Tversity, but if you're thinking of MP3 files that's different, because the tag information is embedded in the files, making the display of that information possible. With Sirius, you have to pull that information from an external web server.

Like I said, not sure how TVersity handled the streams... It was worth asking

Also, I'm curious how you have this set-up for Windows Media Center.

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009
Anyway, Endless... not sure about my extender problem, but again http feeds from uSirius worked through it so I'm not sure what the issue is here. The only thing I can suggest is what I see, and that is this "reflector:xxxxx" and "playbackupasx" information getting thrown back at the client. uSirius didn't do that, and the http URLs played back fine on both the media center and the extender with none of the title information in my playlist getting changed by the server.

If it helps at all, I will attach the ASX that previously worked with usirius. Maybe the URL structure might be some kind of hint for you.
I believe I've found the issue with that. I hope to have an update ready for release sometime tonight.

TheEndless

TheEndless

Nov 23, 2009

I would love to add this functionality, but I'm afraid, as Phreaker noted, it's a lot easier said than done. With mp3 streams the data can be inserted into the stream itself, but that's not possible with wma. Even if it were, that would require SiriusStreamer to proxy the entire stream, which I'm not very keen on even attempting... ;)

TheEndless