Sirius XM Radio planning to stream to iPhone, iPod

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
FTFA said:
By streaming its music, sports and talk channels to users of the iPhone and iPod Touch, Sirius can give its existing subscribers another way to access content and let new customers sign up without buying new radios, CEO Mel Karmazin said.

It'll be nice to have ALL Available content, not just limited to music and a few talk channels. Now I wonder what they'll be offering for subscription packages.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It'll be nice to have ALL Available content, not just limited to music and a few talk channels. Now I wonder what they'll be offering for subscription packages.

No where in that does it say there will be all available content streamed. I think to assume that is a big mistake. You will get what they currently offer and are approved to stream. You take baseball, football and many of the talk channels they simply don't have the licensing or permission to stream. It is possible they may move towards getting permission for more programming, but you still will not get every single thing on the satellites.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Then really, what's the point? MLB and NHL all stream their games online, NFL and NBA can't be far behind. They can't market it as an alternative to buying a radio to new subscribers if they don't have everything there. It'd be interesting to see how many people get it since you get an iPod to avoid radio, which is exactly what Sirius has morphed into.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Then really, what's the point? MLB and NHL all stream their games online, NFL and NBA can't be far behind. They can't market it as an alternative to buying a radio to new subscribers if they don't have everything there. It'd be interesting to see how many people get it since you get an iPod to avoid radio, which is exactly what Sirius has morphed into.

The point is the same, but to stream MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA you would need the rights to do so and those rights have been granted to others exclusively. Unless Sirius XM has the money to buy those rights then they can't do it.

I still think being able to have the music, along with many of their talk programs though not all, along with some of the sports channels such as NFL and MLB talk channels will be enough to entice some folks to subscribe. I certainly know I would subscribe. But also many are speculating beyond their intent with this, which is simply to give folks another alternative to being able to stream the current content available online via their web player or on SL2 or SL100. I get no sense that this is anything but that. So for me to get 128kb streaming via the web or my iPod/iPhone I can pay $2.99 per month. Seems pretty reasonable to me considering I did this on my SL2 for months and months.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm not sure this is really an attempt to get any new subscribers, as much as it is appeasing the ones they have now to keep them from leaving. Knowing their history, however, they'll find away to screw this up, too. If I was more of a Howard Stern or O&A fan, I'd probably get this to listen. But I don't like either show, don't like sports talk, and the music content doesn't do it for me with all the other stuff that's available on the iPhone.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm not sure this is really an attempt to get any new subscribers, as much as it is appeasing the ones they have now to keep them from leaving. Knowing their history, however, they'll find away to screw this up, too. If I was more of a Howard Stern or O&A fan, I'd probably get this to listen. But I don't like either show, don't like sports talk, and the music content doesn't do it for me with all the other stuff that's available on the iPhone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bingo!

Right now the only reason I have sat radio is for the talk, sports and entertainment programs they have. There are some music programs that I occasionally listen too, but musically well you already know what my choice is there, though I am not limited to just the iPhone.