Sirius XM iPhone App on the Way

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
MacRumors iPhone Blog: Sirius XM iPhone App Due Within Weeks

Getting Sirius: Satellite Radio Broadens Reach - WSJ.com

The Wall Street Journal reports on the upcoming launch of an iPhone application from satellite radio provider Sirius XM, which is reportedly due "in the next few weeks." While details of how Sirius XM service will be deployed on the iPhone are not yet known, it is assumed that a subscription fee will be required in order to access the music channels.

The iPhone application likely will require purchasing a subscription, although Sirius XM has announced few details of how the plan will work. An estimated seven million people in the U.S. have iPhones, estimates Richard Klugman, an analyst at Majestic Research. Exposure for the Sirius service on the iTunes Store site of Apple Inc. could draw valuable attention from the gadget-loving crowd that flocks to the site.

The article places the upcoming iPhone application release within the context of Sirius XM's larger market and describes how the landscape has changed for satellite radio as the iPod and iPhone have changed the way people listen to music.In releasing the new application, which will allow customers to stream satellite radio over their iPhones, Sirius XM appears to be tacitly conceding that the satellite-delivery system that once was cutting edge now has competition far beyond what its founders imagined. Sirius must prove it can hold its own in a world where cars have iPod jacks and phones can go online, allowing people to stream free music stations. And cars, where many people do most of their radio listening, are expected increasingly to have built-in Internet access.

While satellite radio has gained popularity, particularly with the increased adoption of satellite radio-ready stereos in new automobiles, the challenges of running a profitable satellite radio service led to the merger of Sirius and XM last year and have driven Sirius XM to find new ways to add subscribers and reduce churn, something the new iPhone application appears designed to address.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Will Ala-Carte be available with this? And will ALL the News/Talk/Sports stations be available? I'd get this if that were the case. I'm not sure I'd want it for music. But the talk and News I could still use. POTUS and WRN sound interesting.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Just looking over the online lineup. Doctor Radio and Reach MD sound interesting too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
if people are able to get all channels (and not just the online lineup) i will strongly consider getting an iphone because i get poor reception on my sl100 indoors and most of my radio listening consists of content from stations at least 700 miles away on low powered stations if they broadcast anyway.

the sirixm app
pocket radio (streaming player)
mlb at-bat

are all enough of a justification to me to get an iphone. one thread said that bubba read a statement that june 8 was going to be a big day for apple and sirixm.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
POTUS is on Sirius Internet, so you are likely to get that channel. But I also hope that it has all the news and sports station ... especially ESPN and NFL.

ESPN Radio is on WunderRadio as well as the iRadio app on the iPhone. And ESPN has an online presence with Podcenter and a slew of podcasts on iTunes. I don't see why they wouldn't. The NFL would be the tougher nut to crack.

EDIT: From Sirius Buzz -

In their quarterly call Scott Greenstein hinted that the application would feature the ability to stream more than just the Internet feed, but also stream additional channels for talk, sports, and news. Greenstein’s comment likely was overshadowed by the fact that the company actually announced that the long awaited application would actually be delivered in Q2. Many may not be aware that the Internet feed of satellite radio excludes many channels that are available in the standard satellite feed. News channels such as Fox, CNBC, etc. are not in the Internet package. Nor is there any live sporting coverage (Notre Dame Football is featured) or traffic and weather.
It would appear that what Greenstein insinuated was that the iPhone application would deliver a more robust line-up. This is potentially big news. Imagine if you could catch your favorite teams broadcast on your iPhone. Wouldn’t it be great if channels such as Fox news were included in the service? While the company was not specific about the content offerings that would be included, they did say that the offering would be “enhancedâ€. Perhaps the timing of the iPhone application and the rumored Baseball news becoming available to Sirius Subscribers has some merit.

Sounds interesting. Maybe they can dump all the satellite radios they've been having to subsidize and just go the Pandora route, put your app on phones like the iPhone and Blackberry. If I can just get the News, talk, sports portion plus best of XM I'd probably jump right in once the money was right on my end.

Last edited:

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
^^^that's a start. now i wish that there was the capability of choosing which services left/right channel you wanted.

i wonder how many people would dump the sirius version of left at the first opportunity?

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
waiting for this app is killing me! i've been using PocketTunes to listen, but its support is very buggy to say the least. Sometimes it runs great. Other times, it'll play and buffer every few seconds, then drop out entirely. I know it's not my internet connection nor my iPod touch because i've a 3mbps line (more than the 128k needed) and other streaming apps like AOL radio, pandora, and slacker all work fine. heck, even the official stations in the pockettunes directory run fine - only Sirius breaks up.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
There was supposed to be some kind of announcement on June 8th (tomorrow) if I recall correctly. Any scuttlebutt as to what will happen tomorrow?

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
There was supposed to be some kind of announcement on June 8th (tomorrow) if I recall correctly. Any scuttlebutt as to what will happen tomorrow?

You *may* be confusing the date with the Apple iphone/OS Announcement?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
You *may* be confusing the date with the Apple iphone/OS Announcement?

As the resident Apple fanboy around these parts, i don't confuse ANYTHING with any apple announcement. ;) I had just read on these boards that they were supposed to have an announcement regarding this app on Howard, Bubba or one of those shows on June 8th. Which makes me wonder, if that date is true, if there isn't more of a tie-in with Apple then what we're being lead to believe.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
As the resident Apple fanboy around these parts, i don't confuse ANYTHING with any apple announcement. ;) I had just read on these boards that they were supposed to have an announcement regarding this app on Howard, Bubba or one of those shows on June 8th. Which makes me wonder, if that date is true, if there isn't more of a tie-in with Apple then what we're being lead to believe.

Every date I have heard speculated on about Sirius XM on these boards that has not come with a press release have been 100% wrong. We were all supposed to be enjoying our free 128k stream of internet along with listening to MLB on our Best Of XM packages by now if you believed other posted dates.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
waiting for this app is killing me! i've been using PocketTunes to listen, but its support is very buggy to say the least. Sometimes it runs great. Other times, it'll play and buffer every few seconds, then drop out entirely. I know it's not my internet connection nor my iPod touch because i've a 3mbps line (more than the 128k needed) and other streaming apps like AOL radio, pandora, and slacker all work fine. heck, even the official stations in the pockettunes directory run fine - only Sirius breaks up.

Most of those other services have about a 32 to 64k stream and SiriusXM if you are subscribed are pushing 128k. Just because these other stations are working does not mean this isn't your internet service. DSL is famous for this kind of stuff, so I wouldn't be so quick to assume that isn't it. 3mbps line now days is almost slow considering that my cable at home is 12mbps for $39 per month.

I've not had any problems with Pocket Tunes and I listen to it a great deal and overall don't find it buggy as you say.

Bottom line is it time for Sirius XM to release their own application and that will tell you for sure if it is Pocket Tunes or the 128k streaming, because it you get the rebuffering there, then you know.

I would not hold my breath for any announcement from SiriusXM, but it would be nice if they at least told us they had released their Application to Apple for consideration.