Sirius XM iPhone app doing quite well...

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
From a memo:

Only four days (96 hours) after going live, our App rocketed to become the No. 1 Top Free Music App downloaded from the iTunes' App Store. It is also the No. 2 Top Free App download. The actual number of downloads of our App had reached 513,319 as of late Sunday. That is one of the fastest download rates by any App.

FAs our App took the top spot on the Music App rankings last week, the music icon button flipped over to SIRIUS XM from Pandora Radio. The press has taken notice.

Howard Who? Sirius XM iPhone App Passes 500,000 Downloads Without Stern (SIRI)

Here's my question:

For people with phones that aren't an iPhone, couldn't they just navigate their browser to sirius.com for online listening?

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Yeah but read the reviews. They are HORRENDOUS. Many users, including myself, are uninstalling the app once we realize H100/101 or other desired stations aren't available on the app. As of June 24 there are 19,117 reviews with 1 star; the lowest you can give. 1,955 with 2 stars, 1,342 with 3 stars, 913 with 4 stars and 3,942 with 5 stars. Speaks for itself.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The app works. I suppose the reviews reflect what the end user was expecting.

Anybody expecting Howard Stern or free streaming would obviously be disappointed. There should be no surprise on the sports play-by-play as Sirius/XM does not stream that content anyway.

I'm already paying for the $2.99 premium stream. So I'm not disappointed that now I have another listening option available to me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Seems to me their phasing out Howard Stern. He's not on the app, what advertising they do doesn't seem to highlight him, much less include him.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The app works. I suppose the reviews reflect what the end user was expecting.

Anybody expecting Howard Stern or free streaming would obviously be disappointed. There should be no surprise on the sports play-by-play as Sirius/XM does not stream that content anyway.

I'm already paying for the $2.99 premium stream. So I'm not disappointed that now I have another listening option available to me.

Exactly. It sounds to me like people go ga-ga over the new tech device without actually taking a few minutes to check the channel lineup.

ZOMGZ! iPHONE! XM! SIRIUS! PHONE! MUST GET!

Oh, wait, it doesn't have Howard? SUE SIRIUS XM! THEY LIE! THEY SAID IT WAS EVERYTHING! OH NOES! LOLCAT ANGRY! LOLCAT SMASH! HULK HAVE NOTHING ON ANGY LOLCAT!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Exactly. It sounds to me like people go ga-ga over the new tech device without actually taking a few minutes to check the channel lineup.

ZOMGZ! iPHONE! XM! SIRIUS! PHONE! MUST GET!

Oh, wait, it doesn't have Howard? SUE SIRIUS XM! THEY LIE! THEY SAID IT WAS EVERYTHING! OH NOES! LOLCAT ANGRY! LOLCAT SMASH! HULK HAVE NOTHING ON ANGY LOLCAT!

Thats what I did. I use my first gen Iphone as an Ipod touch now. I downloaded the app right away. Then I saw no Howard and I was like F this. I have free 32k because of my lifetimed status. I was really considering going premium and giving them and extra $2.99 till I saw no Howard. I deleted the app right away. So they will tell you how many downloads,but not how many deleted it. Who knows maybe they can't tell who all deletes it. I'm sure its a lot. All my friends with an Iphone deleted it right away because no Stern. I would love to know the total number of people that did delete it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thats what I did. I use my first gen Iphone as an Ipod touch now. I downloaded the app right away. Then I saw no Howard and I was like F this. I have free 32k because of my lifetimed status. I was really considering going premium and giving them and extra $2.99 till I saw no Howard. I deleted the app right away. So they will tell you how many downloads,but not how many deleted it. Who knows maybe they can't tell who all deletes it. I'm sure its a lot. All my friends with an Iphone deleted it right away because no Stern. I would love to know the total number of people that did delete it.

The good news for Sirius XM is if/once they address Howard's rights issues then when all these people re-download, it will count double!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

iPhones have web browers, right?

Couldn't they just go to sirius.com on their phone and bookmark the player? (Yes, it's not an ideal situation, but it's better than nothing.)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The good news for Sirius XM is if/once they address Howard's rights issues then when all these people re-download, it will count double!

Absolutely!

What's interesting is that Howard obviously had no issue broadcasting to XM, but apparently does have an issue broadcasting to iPhones?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
iPhones have web browers, right?

Couldn't they just go to sirius.com on their phone and bookmark the player? (Yes, it's not an ideal situation, but it's better than nothing.)

You need adobe flash to do that. The Iphone does not have it yet. I use a Palm Pre as my regular phone and it doesn't have flash either. It's on the way though. I think when we all get that on our phones we will be able to steam more stuff. I hope that answers your question.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Absolutely!

What's interesting is that Howard obviously had no issue broadcasting to XM, but apparently does have an issue broadcasting to iPhones?

My understanding based upon assorted rummors and articles that somehow the iPhone rights are tied to his inDemand Video contract which prevents his channels from being delivered to the iPhone. XM, and the internet streams are non-issues as they are not covered by the inDemand contract. Because the iPhone can do video, it is covered.

If this is the case, and its not a Howard cash grab, I would suspect that the contract will eventually be ironed out. It probably just requires an exception added to his inDemand contract covering the audio of the Sirius XM channels.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Those "rumors" were based on a fake Baba Booey Twitter account. So the REAL reasons are unknown.

vinnyv07

Feb 28, 2009
I am a sub with four radios and I don't want to shell out another $2.99 for the prem internet stream. I pay a bundle every month to listen to radio. Put me in with the people who downloaded the app and deleted it as soon as I tried to listen and it didn't let me. If I really want it I will be cancelling one radio and adding the internet. Since I only have the touch, I see no reason for getting the prem int stream. I am very disappointed.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Also the same could be said about any other app no one knows how many people delete them or don't use them it is just the fact that Sirius has over 500 thousand downloads that is good news. My god every article I see is so down on Sirius I am glad to see something good come there way. Unlike most here it seems I enjoy there service, and its not all about Howard for me!

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'll give Sirius some credit here, their app remains the top music/radio app in the App store despite the fact (or because of the fact?) that there is no Howard Stern. We will see what this translates to as far as churn and new subscriber additions are concerned. But for now, I'll give props where they're due. And it's not a bad looking app either.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
How many people are subscribing to the service after getting a 7 day trial? I wonder how many people are like me and have a bunch domain names and can keep signing up for free 7 day trials because they have unlimited email accounts? :)

Or one e-mail service and unlimited aliases. :whistle:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sounds like there are some folks out there that need to get a life! $2.99 my gosh you'd swear they were taking from your retirement plan or you children's college fund! LOL

I find it hilarious!