SIRIUS|XM Indoors.

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009
Will the SIRIUS | XM signal ever come through in homes/stores/work as clear as an AM/FM signal??? I have SIRIUS. I have my antenna outside. I still have dropouts all the time.:cuss:

atlwxman

Oct 14, 2008
Indoor listening is always problematic unless you live in an area with terrestrial repeaters.

Sirius subs are more prone to dropouts as their satellites are not geostationary like XMs.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
There will be a new more powerful Stationary Satellite from Sirius that is launched at the end of July that will noticeably increase your signal. In particular in the home. So the answer to your question would be yes.

The other thing is that there are better and stronger home antennas then the standard black pivoting antenna that comes with the Boomboxes and Home Kits. The better Antennas range from $40 to about $130 and they wouldn't likely include those standard since many people live in areas where they simply aren't necessary.

The $40 Outdoor Home Antenna that we offer for the most part will prevent dropouts almost anywhere in the lower 48. Just have to make sure it's facing Minnesota or so.

digital100

Oct 15, 2008
Northern Virginia
I do not live in a repeater area, and I gave up trying to get it in my home. Sirius Internet is the much better option which also has much better sound quality. I listen to Sirus with my Sonos Zoneplayers, and the sound quality is awesome.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
If your antenna has a clear view of the northern sky, I see no reason why you would get dropouts on Sirius with an external antenna.

sportboy

Dec 18, 2008
Its interesting that XM chose to go with stationary from the beginning and Sirius did not.

There will be a new more powerful Stationary Satellite from Sirius that is launched at the end of July that will noticeably increase your signal. In particular in the home. So the answer to your question would be yes.

The other thing is that there are better and stronger home antennas then the standard black pivoting antenna that comes with the Boomboxes and Home Kits. The better Antennas range from $40 to about $130 and they wouldn't likely include those standard since many people live in areas where they simply aren't necessary.

The $40 Outdoor Home Antenna that we offer for the most part will prevent dropouts almost anywhere in the lower 48. Just have to make sure it's facing Minnesota or so.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Its interesting that XM chose to go with stationary from the beginning and Sirius did not.

I've had both services off and of for almost four years, and from my experience, XM reception is better in homes and offices, while Sirius is better on a car/truck...:)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If/When Sirius/XM comes out with their iPhone/iPod Touch streaming app., maybe that's the way to go in areas where signals can be a problem.

You get a portable music player with wifi and can hook it up/dock it to just about anything. As long as you have broadband with an access point, you are good to go. And the SQ is better than the sats!!

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
More streaming and portability has to figure into the company's future. All the people I recommend the service to now, I tell them to get portable receivers. You're just not getting the full breadth of coverage without a portable, especially one with wi-fi.

JWBlue

Apr 10, 2009
Are you putting the antenna on the roof or just in the window?

If you mount the antenna at the top of the window, the reception might be better.

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009
you should look into trying a new antenna.

You were right. I ordered a new antenna sat. night from tss. for $14.99. Got it in the mail mon. I can't believe it got here so fast. My old antenna the bars from the satellite signal were all over the place. This new one the signal is steady. So far no dropouts. :bigthumbup:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
You were right. I ordered a new antenna sat. night from tss. for $14.99. Got it in the mail mon. I can't believe it got here so fast. My old antenna the bars from the satellite signal were all over the place. This new one the signal is steady. So far no dropouts. :bigthumbup:

AWESOME! Enjoy.

phishtaper

Dec 3, 2008
I've had a Terk SIR-6 outdoor antenna with a 50' extension cord for almost 3 years now and have always received a strong satellite signal. I highly recommend it. The small indoor antenna that came with the Sportster Replay didn't work great and it became unbearable having to move it around from window to window. Installing the outdoor antenna was a bit of a hassle (feeding the cable under the floor, drilling a hole through the bricks, securing it to the back deck, etc.) but it has consistently worked perfectly since then - even under a foot of ice and snow up here during cold Canadian winters. It just has to have a clear view of God and you are all set. :p

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
3 years, not a single dropout. No repeaters.

Your antenna needs to be in a place that has unobstructed view of the sky towards Minnesota and north, and you'll never have an issue.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal

DaddyCanI

Jan 19, 2009
Sirius subs are more prone to dropouts as their satellites are not geostationary like XMs.

Not exactly.

There are complex sets of conflicting benefits and weaknesses of both geostationary and elliptically orbiting satellites.

One advantage of using several satellites in elliptical orbits is that they can cover a much larger area; while geostationary satellites lose signal strength at an exponential rate the farther north one gets from the equator. This is the reason that it is next to impossible to get an XM signal in Canada without terrestrial repeaters, while a Sirius signal is not limited to a range of latitudes at all. (Both are subject to a similar range of longitudes.)

On the other hand, one advantage of using geostationary is that the line-of-sight never changes. If you have a signal and an unobstructed path to the satellite, you're golden. Even though Sirius' elliptically orbiting satellite network ensures that there are always 2 satellites above 60 degrees altitude no matter where you are in North America, they could potentially be _anywhere_ in azimuth. For instance, if both are above 60 degrees, but one is behind a mountain to your west and the other behind a mountain to your north, you could have a dropout.

Therefore, depending on the circumstances of your particular environment, one could outperform the other. With the increasing network of terrestrial repeaters, the issue is becoming increasingly moot anyway.

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
I have 3 Sirius Radios and 4 XM. In general XM works perfect at home while Sirius can be inconsistent...great some day..unlistenable others. In the car Sirius works better while XM is not bad with the odd signal loss.