Sirius vs XM Satellite Signal

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Once the new SIRIUS Satellite gets "turned on" so to say ;) is there any question SIRIUS will have the dominant signal between the two services?

What are your experiences with the SIRIUS or XM signal where you are?

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I am usually pretty lucky, in the various apartments/houses I've lived in, I always could get full bars of signal from my room or living room even without direct access to the outside. However, sometimes I do get spotty coverage for a few days when they are doing work on the sats, it seems. This is all Sirius Side, BTW.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Too bad Sirius will still have to send out a signal to update a channel lineup. :(

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
When I had Sirius even with the antenna mounted on my roof and a clear line of site I still barely got a signal. On the other hand since I've had XM I very, very rarely have any dropouts I can even use it in my basement without the external antenna.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
XM really just needs to go now. Take their sats and licence them to someone that needs a wide distribution network (I think Stern mentioned movie distribution to theaters or something like that).

siriusfan

Nov 5, 2008
XM really just needs to go now. Take their sats and licence them to someone that needs a wide distribution network (I think Stern mentioned movie distribution to theaters or something like that).

I agree. Figure out how to convert XM radios to receive the Sirius signal and use the extra band width to improve sound quality, add genres etc...

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I agree. Figure out how to convert XM radios to receive the Sirius signal and use the extra band width to improve sound quality, add genres etc...
I think about 9 million people would disagree with you. I dumped Sirius because of its top 40 hit's only lack of adult R&B programming. ( 2 adult R&B channels vs 20 rock channels) which really didn't matter because no matter where I put the antenna the signal was garbage, even in my car.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The whole game changes with the signal when the new SIRIUS Satellite goes active. I get more dropouts in my car with OEM XM than I ever did driving with SIRIUS. But XM in home situations was always better. With XMP3 vs. Stiletto 2 I see no difference in the city for the most part.

As far as where the company is going, it really looks like despite the SIRIUS Satellite going up, the company is more than likely going to push XM Radios and Products. The XM chipset has been more advanced. But I get the sense they know Best of SIRIUS is a more popular add on then Best of XM and thus will be more financially beneficial for people to have XM Radios than SIRIUS.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I don't know what was going on with the XM Satellites yesterday, but all throughout Northwest Georgia, I kept losing a signal :worried:

I wonder if this has to do with that them there Brand New Sirius Satellite? :scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was happier with Sirius in the car, with XM if your car's angle tilts upwards/downwards, or tips left/right the signal cuts out. As far as home, I don't have much experience with XM because the local repeaters cover my whole area, so my antenna is in the windowsill (don't ask what I've had to do with the Sirius home antenna to get a consistent signal). We'll see how the new Sat helps Sirius, which for me only really sucks for the home user.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
XM has the better signal for me in the foothills of NC... Sirius gets under trees and fizzles out...

siriusfan

Nov 5, 2008
The Sirius signal reaches much more of North America, and once the new satellite comes on in September problems with stationary listening (i.e. home/office) should be resolved. Sirius XM should provide incentives to convert XM radios to Sirius and speed up the 15-year time line for amalgamation. Think of the advantages. More bandwidth equals better sound and more channels.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I don't know anyone that has XM. Maybe it's a west coast thing?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
i have had my XMP3 for about 2 weeks now, and I can say without question home reception is better than the stiletto (home docks). At the end of the month I have a 1600mi round trip coming up, so I will let you know how the car signal is. I had maybe 2 dropouts in 4 years in my car with sirius.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Isn't home reception going to be provided by WIFI anyway?

no. I don't believe you could record via wifi, therefore i need satelitte signal.

Stiletto home dock, home:
2 bar terrestial, 1 bar satelitte

Stiletto Home dock, work:
2 bar terrestial

XMP3 Home dock, home:
Full terrestial, 2 bar satelitte, 3rd bar flashing

XMP3 home, work:
Full terrestial

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Well there are several problems with wifi actually. Number one it doesn't have sporting events on it, so your real limmeted in what you get. Another thing for the home in my five apartments I've had XM is a lot better. I was so pissed with Sirius because I liked it more, but I could never get a consistant signal, and I tried everything.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
i have had my XMP3 for about 2 weeks now, and I can say without question home reception is better than the stiletto (home docks). At the end of the month I have a 1600mi round trip coming up, so I will let you know how the car signal is. I had maybe 2 dropouts in 4 years in my car with sirius.

Exactly. Unless you are really close to a Sirius repeater. Home reception now before the new sirius satellite is generally better with XM. HOME I say :eek:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have Sirius SAT signal and weak repeater from my N window. I have moderate XM repeater signal from same window - no SAT. If Sirius turns off one of their current sats, I will be screwed for SAT reception as I will have no way to receive this signal.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Exactly. Unless you are really close to a Sirius repeater. Home reception now before the new sirius satellite is generally better with XM. HOME I say :eek:

Can they not share the same repeater now?

According to dogstarradio, sirius has a repeater in downtown lexington, and the closest XM repeater is louisville. So that would indicate the opposite for me, I should have better reception with the stiletto, no?

xm411.com - What is and where are the Ground Repeaters?

Terrestrial Repeater 117 - DogstarRadio