sirius radioclassics no longer on-line

wllmbonner

Feb 11, 2009
Rep.Of Ireland
:(:(

I was very dissapointed sirius removed radioclassics from its online service last Friday.It was my favourite channel and a great escape from all the bad news the media keeps feeding us these days.Do you think it will ever be back online or was it there by mistake in the first place?:mad::mad::confused::confused:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They switched to the XM version for this channel. It is possible that the XM feed does not have online rights to these shows thus the removal of the stream.

jnockels

Mar 1, 2009
Yankton, SD
I was kind of dissapointed too. Not that anyone cares how my house is set up, but my computer is located away from our Sirius reciever on our home ent. center. I would listen to Radio Classics on line while working. I agree with the previous poster, it is a nice diversion from all the bad news on the other talk stations.
Radio Classics on Sirius was also not on line all the long to begin with. Oh well.
I still prefer Dave the Radio Classics Guy to Greg Bell.

SonDan

Nov 15, 2008
oldschoolmusiclover.com
I was kind of dissapointed too. Not that anyone cares how my house is set up, but my computer is located away from our Sirius reciever on our home ent. center. I would listen to Radio Classics on line while working. I agree with the previous poster, it is a nice diversion from all the bad news on the other talk stations.
Radio Classics on Sirius was also not on line all the long to begin with. Oh well.
I still prefer Dave the Radio Classics Guy to Greg Bell.

I am very, very sad that I can't listen to Radio Classics on my SL2 while at work. RC is a nice change from background music IMO. Is there any chance that RC will be returned to the online stream?

I too am not a Greg Bell fan. What really annoys me to no end is that he never displays the name of the episode that he is playing ... instead he displays a name of who he considers to be the biggest star in the episode. Doesn''t he realize that if we wanted to purchase the story we would not know WHAT to purchase? Isn't he being paid to promote the sale of the "Classics"?

I wrote him asking to return to displaying the episode title, but got no response and yet he always encourages visits to his blog.

:eek: Thanks for reading my rant.

I'm ok now :) Carry on.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
I too am not a Greg Bell fan. What really annoys me to no end is that he never displays the name of the episode that he is playing ... instead he displays a name of who he considers to be the biggest star in the episode. Doesn''t he realize that if we wanted to purchase the story we would not know WHAT to purchase? Isn't he being paid to promote the sale of the "Classics"?

I wrote him asking to return to displaying the episode title, but got no response and yet he always encourages visits to his blog.

this is the email i got from him regarding your concern.

When Sirius merged with XM, the bosses (all from Sirius by the way) opted to keep the XM version of Radio Classics (the one I had been running for the previous 7 years). The two companies have different radios and the channel displays were always a little different.

Since the XM version is playing on both XM and Sirius - the audio comes from the XM computers and the display has always been series and lead actor. This was done for a couple of reasons, initially the available space was limited and episode title sometimes are quite long and wouldn't fit. But primarily, it became clear early on that the vast majority of listeners were new to Old Time Radio shows and the name of the lead actor had more meaning than an episode title which mainly appeals to collectors or folks old enough to remember the original run of the series.

I do try to make sure the episode title is mentioned at the beginning and end of every episode either by the original announcer or by me if they do not.

Last edited:

SonDan

Nov 15, 2008
oldschoolmusiclover.com
sondan, I corrected post #6 regarding the issue about why greg doesn't put the shows title episode on the pdt.

A very belated thanks for your effort on my behalf Risky. I just read your reply.

I gave up on the XM version of OTR on Sirius and am now listening to my OTR using my Livio Pandora Internet Radio. It is commercial free and I can move the WiFi radio to any part of the house to listen and not be tethered to the pc.

I just listen to Sirius now during my morning and evening commute in the car -- either Stern or music. When Stern's contract ends in 5 years I think I will probably cancel Sirus and listen to music and OTR on the internet radio that costs me nothing.

Happy New Year and thanks again.