Sirius Premium Internet Radio - Sound Quality Superior To Satellite Radio!

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
For those of you who haven't tried out the $2.99/month Premium Internet Radio service from Sirius, you have really been missing out. The basic internet radio runs at 32k while premium is at cd-quality 128k. If you listen to it on a portable receiver like the Stiletto 2 and have good headphones you will notice a difference right away when tuned to your favorite music channels. It's especially great if you run it through a home a/v receiver or even on a PC if you have quality speakers and a subwoofer.

Overall, Sirius subscribers who are true audiophiles will no doubt want to at least SAMPLE the service. At $2.99 for one month you really can't lose in my opinion. I've been enjoying Sirius Premium Internet Radio for over a year now and plan to continue to as long as they offer it at a reasonable price.

Gary1

Dec 9, 2008

The sound quality is so much better with the premium internet, I almost never listen in satellite mode anymore. I have always been unhappy with sound from the sats since I started subscribing a few years ago. Though they have improved the sound a bit, it still is not nearly good enough for my ears. The sound went from terrible to poor.

With the premium internet, you can actually hear channel seperation, crisp highs and a clear low end. There is no comparison to the sound from the sats. I listen with a good pair of Bose headphones and the sound is almost CD quality.

It's a shame they can't get decent sound from the sats because I miss the functionability of the Stiletto by listening over the wifi. I can't record, rewind, etc.. but it's worth it to me because the music sounds great.

ChaseMe

Jan 20, 2009
Is is possible to subscribe to just the 128K stream (no SAT), and with gift cards? I'm in Canada, want this 128K!

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Is is possible to subscribe to just the 128K stream (no SAT), and with gift cards? I'm in Canada, want this 128K!

A premium internet only account is $12.99/month by itself, or $6.99/month if you already have an active account. I switched my home based radio to this when I got a Sonos system, which uses Sirius online. I now only have satellite in my car.

Reactions: limegrass69

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
It's actually $12.95 (I know, it's only 4 cents.. I'm just pointing it out :p)

... and what's this about $6.99? It's $2.99 for current subscribers.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
It's actually $12.95 (I know, it's only 4 cents.. I'm just pointing it out :p)

... and what's this about $6.99? It's $2.99 for current subscribers.

It's $2.99 for the first one. $6.99 for the second. I have two internet and one satellite account.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
+1 for the premium subscription. Like Jgatie, I use it on my Sonos. I would not put it quite at CD quality, but it is miles above the standard streaming and the sats.

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
Someone else on another forum actually pointed out to me that the 128k is not CD quality and that it would have to be over 300 k to meet that standard. Now, I'm not sure what the facts are. All I can say from personal experience is that Premium Internet Radio is superb and possibly the best under promoted service Sirius offers.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Someone else on another forum actually pointed out to me that the 128k is not CD quality and that it would have to be over 300 k to meet that standard. Now, I'm not sure what the facts are. All I can say from personal experience is that Premium Internet Radio is superb and possibly the best under promoted service Sirius offers.

It all depends on the compression algorithm used. You can't compare two bitrates, one encoded via PCM and the other encoded via (???), and definitively state one is better than the other. With dedicated decoding hardware (which every radio has) it is very possible to have a 128k stream that is accousically transparent to PCM. I find it unlikely that this is the case, but it is certainly closer to CD quality than the false 300:128 ratio claimed on that other forum.

In other words, since the high bitrate internet feed is most certainly better than 42% of CD quality, the comparison is moot.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It sounds great. I think the term "CD quality" is batted around a lot yet most people think their MP3 downloaded at 192k is "CD quality" and they really can't tell the difference. Audiophiles excempted of course.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I find it superior to Pandora, and about the same as the 192k Rhapsody feeds (maybe even a little better).

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
It's $2.99 for the first one. $6.99 for the second. I have two internet and one satellite account.

Wait....they charge you MORE for having a second. I know that we are talking about Sirius, but that math doesn't sound right....As someone that isn't an audiophile and has cheap as speakers on both primary computers he uses, not worth it.

Now when Sirius offers exclusive internet channels, maybe we can talk about getting $3 more dollars a month.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I find it superior to Pandora, and about the same as the 192k Rhapsody feeds (maybe even a little better).

I find them pretty close not enough difference that I can really tell that much. Slacker is right in there with them. But the SQ is very much so enjoyable on all 3 and much better than the satellite feed.

Wait....they charge you MORE for having a second. I know that we are talking about Sirius, but that math doesn't sound right....As someone that isn't an audiophile and has cheap as speakers on both primary computers he uses, not worth it.

There is no doubt the 128kb feed is worth the extra few bucks a month just for the SQ difference alone.

Hell even on cheap ass computer speakers you can tell a big difference in the SQ. I bet it would sound real good if it was free, but come on $3.00 a month, we piss that off on junk in a given week.

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
I just upgraded tonight and I've been listening for a couple of hours now. I figured I'd try it for a month or so to see if it's actually worth it. It's a keeper. I've got a nice set of amplified speakers on my computer and Sirius now sounds better than I've ever heard it. I'll listen a lot more at home now. Three dollars is a small investment for a huge return in terms of SQ.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
If you're trying the 128k for the first time, switch between Standard and Premium on the official player and have a listen on the same channel. You'll see it's worth every penny.

Gary1

Dec 9, 2008

I find the Rhapsody 192K feed to be only slightly better than the 128K Sirius premium internet feed. And the fact that I say only slightly is a good thing. I never thought I would hear satellite radio sound this good prior to the introduction of the premium service.

joker454

Nov 1, 2008
Does the premium online feed sound better than the feeds DirecTV gets? I tend to listen to XM on my Directv hardware at home due to the better sound quality, and because "The System" trance channel is still active there, but I'm curious if this new online feed exceeds it for quality.