SIRIUS on SONOS system?

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I'm looking into a SONOS system for a family member since they want SIRIUS in their new high rise condo unit. I'm considering this system for them because we're not totally sure they will be able to locate a regular antenna in an acceptable place. Anyway, this system plays SIRIUS and from what I can gather, its getting SIRIUS from the internet & a premium internet account is needed. This might actually be better in the sense that it will only cost $2.99/month for the SIRIUS compared to $8.99/month for a regular radio. Granted the hardware is a LOT more expensive, but this family member is not hurting for income right now so they might be willing to spend the extra to have this kind of equipment and extra features it offers.

I also realize that they won't get sporting events through the SONOS system since its an internet stream, but they are not a sports fan at all so no problems there either.

Now, this system claims to be able to play separate music in different rooms. The question I am wondering about is this possible with the SIRIUS as well on a SONOS system? In other words, can SIRIUS channel 73 (spa) be playing in the bedroom while SIRIUS channel 16 (Deep Tracks) is playing in the living room while SIRIUS channel 132 (CNN) is playing in another bedroom (with all needed hardware installed of course)

Or would the SIRIUS on SONOS allowed to be played in only one room & act just like their online player?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I have a Sonos with 7 zones.

You can't play more than 1 Sirius stream at the same time. You can have the same Sirius stream playing in multiple zones at the same time. You can also play Sirius on one zone, while you play another content source (Rhapsody, Internet radio, line in source, etc.) on another zone.

The system is phenomenal. I use it almost daily.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Thanks. That pretty much answered my question. Also good to know that at least one SIRIUS station can be played in several zones at the same time. I did not know that aspect of it & at least that is something else to consider. I have heard good things about this SONOS system so while it may be costly up front, I think my family member would enjoy it.

Let me ask this since you are familiar with the system. Can a SONOS zone get music from a network hard drive that is attached to a 4 port router? Therefore having to possbly avoid keeping a PC on at all times. I ask cause they have a laptop only at this point so they might want to be able to access music even if the laptop is maybe in the car or taken wirelessly into another room. Just curious.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Let me ask this since you are familiar with the system. Can a SONOS zone get music from a network hard drive that is attached to a 4 port router? Therefore having to possbly avoid keeping a PC on at all times.
Yes, thats the preferable setup. Any NAS should work fine.