Sirius on SONOS in Canada?

plutoz

Oct 27, 2009
I read on the Sonos site that you can't get Sirius Internet Radio on your Sonos if you are in Canada - my Sirius subscription is a US one, anyone know if it will work?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't think so. I think that, based on your IP address, they'll know that you are not in the US, and only allow content that is appropriate for your locale.

You may want to drop in on the Sonos support forums and confirm that.

plutoz

Oct 27, 2009
couldn't find any posts over there so I posted in an old thread which discusses it. I wouldn't think it would be a problem since I use the US internet service from my PC with no issues.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sirius does not do any IP filtering like Slacker does. I can and do listen to Sirius USA internet signal on my PC, my SL2 and soon my TTR1. All from Canadian IPs. If Sonos itself is not filtering, there would be no issue with getting a US internet stream in Canada.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Sonos can and does offer different content based on where you are. I am not sure how it applies to the Sirius subscription, but I know that Rhapsody, Napster, and other services are offered/not offered based on your location. YMMV. Like I said, someone over in the Sonos forums should be able to give you a definitive answer.

plutoz

Oct 27, 2009
Not getting much in the way of answers over there I'm afraid.

I have a new quest, to find out if I can use my US Sirius account on the iPod Touch. My sister has one (iPhone actually) and the only Sirius app in her app store is the Sirius Canada app - we installed it but my US sirius.com login was rejected - doh!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not getting much in the way of answers over there I'm afraid.

I have a new quest, to find out if I can use my US Sirius account on the iPod Touch. My sister has one (iPhone actually) and the only Sirius app in her app store is the Sirius Canada app - we installed it but my US sirius.com login was rejected - doh!

For the iPhone app, you would have to get it from the US Appstore to have it work.

plutoz

Oct 27, 2009
For the iPhone app, you would have to get it from the US Appstore to have it work.

Can you use the US Appstore if you are in Canada / bought your iPod/iPhone in Canada? Sorry, I know next to nothing about Apple products, and I really don't want to go out and buy one just to be disappointed.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Can you use the US Appstore if you are in Canada / bought your iPod/iPhone in Canada? Sorry, I know next to nothing about Apple products, and I really don't want to go out and buy one just to be disappointed.

You would have to sign up to the US AppStore with a US address and a US credit card.