Sirius Lifetime

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I have yet to do one transfer yet on my Kenwood 902. I am looking at a new car that has Xm. Can I switch to a XM receiver?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Kenwood 902 is not an OEM it is a 3rd party aftermarket tuner like the Sirius Connect tuners. However you will not be able to switch from Sirius to XM, you'd have to get a portable or Sirius connect tuner that will work with your car and do a conversion. If that option is available for your year, make and model vehicle.

Sometimes it also helps to tell them you are replacing your 902 because it has died or is broken and they just may wave that $75 transfer fee! I know several folks who have manage to do this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Kenwood 902 is not an OEM it is a 3rd party aftermarket tuner like the Sirius Connect tuners. However you will not be able to switch from Sirius to XM, you'd have to get a portable or Sirius connect tuner that will work with your car and do a conversion. If that option is available for your year, make and model vehicle.

Sometimes it also helps to tell them you are replacing your 902 because it has died or is broken and they just may wave that $75 transfer fee! I know several folks who have manage to do this.

I was aware of that but he was considering transfering his sub to an OEM radio. I guess that does beg the question is if the transfer was allowed (we know its not) would the lifetime sub then become untransferable because it is now on an OEM radio or would it retian its original transferability (less the 1 transfer of course)?

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I will just get a new Kenwood head unit and keep my old 902. That way I will get a new head unit with front aux inputs for a slacker and still have 3 transfers.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I guess that does beg the question is if the transfer was allowed (we know its not) would the lifetime sub then become untransferable because it is now on an OEM radio or would it retian its original transferability (less the 1 transfer of course)?

Makes sense! Though again if told that the tuner is broken many of these CSR's will not count it against you, along with waving the fee.

None the less it seems BigRock has a game plan already! :)

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Makes sense! Though again if told that the tuner is broken many of these CSR's will not count it against you, along with waving the fee.

None the less it seems BigRock has a game plan already! :)

Your lucky your not on XMFAN's board saying that. They would call you an outright theif. It's crazy over there. A lot of their senior members called a guy a theif because he called up pissed about royalty fees then threatened to cancel. Then the customer service rep offered him a deal and he took it. They say he's a theif because he knew he wouldn't cancel and just wanted a deal. Can you imagine!!!! The nerve of those assholes calling him a theif. He's not stealing the signal or downloading shows. He took the deal SiriusXM offered. I've done that with cable before because I was pissed at the nickel and diming. I did the same thing negotiating for the house we bought. I am no theif and that guy isn't either. It's so sad. They call this guy every name in the book too. Anyway, I brought that up because I think people should know what a great board we have here. You can complain and vent and people are understanding. If anyone has time read this thread and see how bad it is over there. XMFan.com :: #1 Fan Site of Sirius XM Satellite Radio :: Avoiding the Royalty Fees

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Your lucky your not on XMFAN's board saying that. They would call you an outright theif. It's crazy over there. A lot of their senior members called a guy a theif because he called up pissed about royalty fees then threatened to cancel. Then the customer service rep offered him a deal and he took it. They say he's a theif because he knew he wouldn't cancel and just wanted a deal. Can you imagine!!!! The nerve of those assholes calling him a theif. He's not stealing the signal or downloading shows. He took the deal SiriusXM offered. I've done that with cable before because I was pissed at the nickel and diming. I did the same thing negotiating for the house we bought. I am no theif and that guy isn't either. It's so sad. They call this guy every name in the book too. Anyway, I brought that up because I think people should know what a great board we have here. You can complain and vent and people are understanding. If anyone has time read this thread and see how bad it is over there. XMFan.com :: #1 Fan Site of Sirius XM Satellite Radio :: Avoiding the Royalty Fees

That's because this is a very grey area. I am not sure as I would go as far as saying its theft ... fraud is a more suitable word although it would never be prosecuted. Personally, I think it boils down to integrity. I believe one should always be honest with ones intentions and lying to a CSR to get a better deal is not being honest and therefore showing lack of integrity.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
That's because this is a very grey area. I am not sure as I would go as far as saying its theft ... fraud is a more suitable word although it would never be prosecuted. Personally, I think it boils down to integrity. I believe one should always be honest with ones intentions and lying to a CSR to get a better deal is not being honest and therefore showing lack of integrity.

They called the guy a theif. They call him every name in the book. It's like a cult over there. So am I commiting fraud when I wanted a better deal on my house and I said this is what I want or I walk? Same thing when I bought my van. I negotiated and negotiated and said look I can always go to another dealer. Thats not fraud. What that guy did was not fraud. Those guys over there can't take it when someone has a problem with SiriusXM. Thats they truth and it's sad that no one on there gets on the idiots that call people names that disagree with them. I have no problem with being honest,but getting a better deal and not stealing it is not theft or fraud.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
They called the guy a theif. They call him every name in the book. It's like a cult over there. So am I commiting fraud when I wanted a better deal on my house and I said this is what I want or I walk? Same thing when I bought my van. I negotiated and negotiated and said look I can always go to another dealer. Thats not fraud. What that guy did was not fraud. Those guys over there can't take it when someone has a problem with SiriusXM. Thats they truth and it's sad that no one on there gets on the idiots that call people names that disagree with them. I have no problem with being honest,but getting a better deal and not stealing it is not theft or fraud.

Yeah they are a bit over the top on that forum, it is very reason I quit participating over there a long time ago. For years they were terrible/horrible at bashing Sirius, then when Sirius took over they had to find other things to lash out about. I got better things to do with my time than deal with all those unbridled personality on XMFan. Ryan lost control of that forum a long time ago in my opinion.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Yeah they are a bit over the top on that forum, it is very reason I quit participating over there a long time ago. For years they were terrible/horrible at bashing Sirius, then when Sirius took over they had to find other things to lash out about. I got better things to do with my time than deal with all those unbridled personality on XMFan. Ryan lost control of that forum a long time ago in my opinion.

From what I've read he almost always agrees with them. He never tells anyone over there to cool it and chill. It's like he's afraid to.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
From what I've read he almost always agrees with them. He never tells anyone over there to cool it and chill. It's like he's afraid to.

Well he has that same mentality, so birds of a feather stick together! :)

Just for the record my comments are my own and do not represent DRC, these are my own feelings.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Fraud is stating something that is not true. If you call up XM and say you are upset with the royaltee fee and want a better deal ... not fraud. If you are fed up and want to cancel, call them up and take a deal offered ... not fraud. If you call up and say you want to cancel when you have no intention of cancelling ... that (in my opinion) is fraud. You are representing yourself in a way that is not honest. That in my book is fraud.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Fraud is stating something that is not true. If you call up XM and say you are upset with the royaltee fee and want a better deal ... not fraud. If you are fed up and want to cancel, call them up and take a deal offered ... not fraud. If you call up and say you want to cancel when you have no intention of cancelling ... that (in my opinion) is fraud. You are representing yourself in a way that is not honest. That in my book is fraud.

Your understanding of fraud isn't the true legal definition and someone doing what you suggest would not meet the criteria to be charged with fraud.

The term better suited for this is dishonest! Someone calling with no real intent to cancel is being dishonest. Sirius has a retentions department and it is up to their discretion rather to grant you a deal or not. If I call in this quarter and you give me 3 months free and then I call in 3 months from now and say the same and your retention department offers me another deal, then they aren't doing their jobs and should realize this person is just using the system and go ahead and shut off the service.

This is NOT fraud, doesn't even come close to being so!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Your understanding of fraud isn't the true legal definition and someone doing what you suggest would not meet the criteria to be charged with fraud.

The term better suited for this is dishonest! Someone calling with no real intent to cancel is being dishonest. Sirius has a retentions department and it is up to their discretion rather to grant you a deal or not. If I call in this quarter and you give me 3 months free and then I call in 3 months from now and say the same and your retention department offers me another deal, then they aren't doing their jobs and should realize this person is just using the system and go ahead and shut off the service.

This is NOT fraud, doesn't even come close to being so!

I don't think I claimed it was the legal definition. But you tell me:

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: fraud
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin fraud- fraus
1 a : any act, expression, omission, or concealment calculated to deceive another to his or her disadvantage; specifically : a misrepresentation or concealment with reference to some fact material to a transaction that is made with knowledge of its falsity or in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity and with the intent to deceive another and that is reasonably relied on by the other who is injured thereby b : the affirmative defense of having acted in response to a fraud
2 : the crime or tort of committing fraud fraud> —see also MISREPRESENTATION
NOTE: A tort action based on fraud is also referred to as an action of deceit.

from dictionary.com

I see everything but the injured thereby.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think I claimed it was the legal definition. But you tell me:

from dictionary.com

I see everything but the injured thereby.

I still don't see it as fraud. Christ himself could come down and tell me it's fraud and I woudn't think that. So I take it you paid full asking price for your home and sticker price for your car. If so thats cool for you. I on the other hand knew I could get a better deal on both and said "Hey I will walk". I'm not a dishonest person and I did not commit fraud. The person they are calling a theif over there is getting a raw deal. They hide behind the notion that it's a "fan site". So no one can say anything bad. Thats just real real sad. Some of those idiots are lucky they're on a board and not in the real world. I can see a lot of them getting their asses handed to them.

I still don't get how they jump on people that had no idea about the royalty increase. Some called them uninformed consumers. Do they really think everyone that has SiriusXM is on message boards? Thats crazy. Personaly I think your too cool of a person to be over there agreeing with their bullshit.

Anway my man we can agree to disagree on the fraud thing. People have to do what is right for them and in this economy I can understand why people need a better deal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I still don't see it as fraud. Christ himself could come down and tell me it's fraud and I woudn't think that. So I take it you paid full asking price for your home and sticker price for your car. If so thats cool for you. I on the other hand knew I could get a better deal on both and said "Hey I will walk". I'm not a dishonest person and I did not commit fraud. The person they are calling a theif over there is getting a raw deal. They hide behind the notion that it's a "fan site". So no one can say anything bad. Thats just real real sad. Some of those idiots are lucky they're on a board and not in the real world. I can see a lot of them getting their asses handed to them.

I still don't get how they jump on people that had no idea about the royalty increase. Some called them uninformed consumers. Do they really think everyone that has SiriusXM is on message boards? Thats crazy. Personaly I think your too cool of a person to be over there agreeing with their bullshit.

Anway my man we can agree to disagree on the fraud thing. People have to do what is right for them and in this economy I can understand why people need a better deal.

I am only stating my opinion. There is a difference between negotiating and fraud. If you say you are charging too much money, can I offer you this and they say yes, that is not fraud. If you go in with the attitude that if you don't get your deal you WILL cancel, that is not fraud.

As for XMFAN, I am a poster on both sites (as you probably know). Rules for posting over there sort of reminds me a bit of the song "You can't mess around with Jim".