Sirius is stupid!

I have a sportster 5 with a boom box. The reason I got the boom box ($100) was to listen at home and work. However, I cannot get a signal from inside my house or in the building I work. So I use the Internet player most of the time to listen in these places. Now I'll have to pay an extra $2.99 to listen online because the satellite signal is to weak to work in a building or even under a tree.

I'm sorry but that’s bull. I would understand charging for Internet listening if the satellite signal was strong enough to be picked up everywhere. But its not.

I will cancel my 2nd radio and Sirius will be out $6.99 a month. I will not pay for internet listening and I may end up canceling all together. They will end up losing more money because of upset subscribers like myself.

The whole Strobe / Backspin thing was planned. Make the customers think sirius is listening to us so when they increase the price we will not cancel. Sorry guys it didn’t work for me.

Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel a bit upset about this. :bigahh:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Try the 128k before you fly off the handle... You will find it is a much better solution for your home than a tinny sounding 32k stream.

Alternatively, you could always get a lifetime subscription (which means you would be grandfathered in for free 32k).

Regardless, it's only $3 a month. That's what? A dime a day?

Understood it is about the $3. I will have to pay $12.95 + $2.99. That’s $15.94 for radios that don’t update, stations that play the same artist 24/7, commercials on entertainment stations, channels being cut without any explanation, and a satellite signal that wont work if you are sitting under a tree.

Not a good deal in my opinion.

Last edited:

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
I mean sir let me ask you a question. Do you realize how a Sat signal works? I'm not saying I disagree I feel the signal could be improved, but a tree would block you from seeing the sky. Further more you knew this when you bought the radio, so if it didn't work when you bought it why keep it? Do what you have to do, and good luck.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Oh and I forgot they're stupid, for charging you a few more dollars for bandwith they didn't have to give you in the first place. Its sat radio not internet radio.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I have a sportster 5 with a boom box. The reason I got the boom box ($100) was to listen at home and work. However, I cannot get a signal from inside my house or in the building I work. So I use the Internet player most of the time to listen in these places. Now I'll have to pay an extra $2.99 to listen online because the satellite signal is to weak to work in a building or even under a tree.

I'm sorry but that’s bull. I would understand charging for Internet listening if the satellite signal was strong enough to be picked up everywhere. But its not.

I will cancel my 2nd radio and Sirius will be out $6.99 a month. I will not pay for internet listening and I may end up canceling all together. They will end up losing more money because of upset subscribers like myself.

The whole Strobe / Backspin thing was planned. Make the customers think sirius is listening to us so when they increase the price we will not cancel. Sorry guys it didn’t work for me.

Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel a bit upset about this. :bigahh:

I think I agree with the Backspin/Strobe thing being a ploy. I still love the stuff played on the Strobe, but what about the shows they promised where coming....Unless some super fan wants to say that the shows were "implied, never promised". Sycophants! I really don't see any reason that they made the 80s on 8 go from combining the best of Sirius and XM's music, to playing probably even less than Sirius played when it was the Big 80s!

Honestly, the price changes wouldn't be so bad if they didn't fuck with content so much!

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I can understand people being frustrated with any change that affects their listening experience and their pocketbook. But the truth is the biggest most frustrating change of all would be if the company could not survive financially and simply went away. When they make changes like a small price increase it's them building a business that can survive. I would guess they understand it's going to not please a number of people but they probably have a good idea of how many will leave over how much more income is possible.

Plus this hasn't been announced officially yet, and two if it does call them up and see if they have a solution for you. Lots of times they do, but the company doesn't really cater or reach out to people bitching on forums (like I sometimes do) you have to contact them and express your concerns and try to work with them to come up with a plan. Maybe you just need an outdoor antenna or something to get a signal. And who knows whether they may offer help on something like that.

I know that people don't like that I just don't go around bitching non-stop. But I know how SIRIUS XM works and that approach won't solve a thing really, unless it's constructive. Plus it kinda hurts the company and eventually will hurt all the subscribers.

I would contact the company and see what they can do for you.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Understood but its not just $3 it’s the principle.

Anyone ever notice that pie-in-the-sky "It's not the money, it's the priciple!!" statements are always followed by complaints about the money?

I will have to pay $12.95 + $2.99. That’s $15.94 for radios that don’t update, stations that play the same artist 24/7, commercials on entertainment stations, channels being cut without any explanation, and a satellite signal that wont work if you are sitting under a tree.

Not a good deal in my opinion.

Yep, it seems it is about the money. Nothing new here. :clueless:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah and folks that do this principle thing always, always cut their nose off to spite their face.

Get over it already!

I agree with Taylor what part of SURVIVAL MODE don't you people get?

Ok it’s about money. But I know a lot of you are dissatisfied with what is going on too. I’m just upset because during the whole merger process we were promised more options, more content, and better pricing. I don’t see any of this happening. I’ll stop voicing my opinion in this forum if it’s really upsetting everyone. That is not my intention. I just thought this forum was a great place for us customers to discuss issues we are having with the service along with other things. I’m not telling anyone to agree with me, I’m just seeing if anyone out there does.

Lot of people on here seem to get so offended when people like me are a little dissatisfied. It’s like your life depends on this service. It’s a little strange.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Ok it’s about money. But I know a lot of you are dissatisfied with what is going on too. I’m just upset because during the whole merger process we were promised more options, more content, and better pricing. I don’t see any of this happening. I’ll stop voicing my opinion in this forum if it’s really upsetting everyone. That is not my intention. I just thought this forum was a great place for us customers to discuss issues we are having with the service along with other things. I’m not telling anyone to agree with me, I’m just seeing if anyone out there does.

Lot of people on here seem to get so offended when people like me are a little dissatisfied. It’s like your life depends on this service. It’s a little strange.

Who is telling you not to voice your opinion? Not me. This is a tough time and if you figure out how much SIRIUS XM has spent to get this service up and running it really is a service that should be about $25 or $30 per month when you figure in all the costs, maybe more if they didn't have any ad revenue on talk channels. They are offering that service essentially BELOW cost and have hoped for a long time that eventually there would be enough subscribers to get past that point. Well at this point they do have a business, one that seems to be making some money but they have all this huge amount of Debt Payments they have to make. This is the year they have to pay all that off and once this horrible year is over the company can once again reinvent itself but it seems for now taking care of the their financial needs is the ONLY way to survive.

If you ever did love the company, like I do. Trust me when I say this is the time they NEED you more than ever. They will pull out of this and management might change down the road and they will be able to have an established industry. A method of delivering music and content like no other. Content is important and for this year the spending on content can't really go up since they have to focus on paying off the debt. But just imagine what happens when the big contracts they signed when they didn't have any leverage begin to run out. Like the Oprahs and the Marthas. There is no doubt those contracts won't be renewed for anywhere near the same amount of money, leaving them with millions left over. But that time hasn't come yet, but when it does it will bring more to the subscriber. They had to fork out way more money for content to launch, but soon they will be able to get things at a better value and offer more for subscribers. But again this year they have to pay off debt.

Lots of people stick with things that seem to be not very successful for a long time. Hell I live in Chicago, and in this town the Chicago Cubs haven't won the World Series in decades. But that doesn't stop people from buying incredible amounts of merchandise and money on tickets. People want to support them and show their support. This is a trying time and things we've known for a long time like brands like Chrysler may go away. But Satellite Radio is not something I could live with going away. Pandora seems like a service that tried hard but may be going away. It seems they are adding advertisements onto their service now.

For those of you that believe that mergers are bad for the consumer and from a business standpoint I tend to agree, just think if Satellite Radio went away. Then would Slacker have to be as competitive? Maybe not. At least for the time being until someone else came along and challenged them.

Anyway I'm ranting on, but it seems you are pissed at SIRIUS XM. It's just my guess based on your passion and frustration you would be far more pissed if they went away!

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008

The only offensive thing is when people try to say they are standing up for some honorable (yet undefined) "principle", when they are only complaining about a price hike. Look, the whole thing boils down to this: If you like it, you pay. If you don't like it, you cancel. Now I know that is a simple concept, but it really is that simple. You can bitch about it, that is your right, but labeling the bitching as some worthy cause, or rebellion against some imagined mistreatment, only makes people look silly.

It's a price hike, one that is probably necessary to keep the company from drowning. You choose to pay it or not. There is no gun to anybody's head, despite the sturm and drang about "principles".

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Yeah and folks that do this principle thing always, always cut their nose off to spite their face.

Get over it already!

I agree with Taylor what part of SURVIVAL MODE don't you people get?

+1 with you and Taylor. Life goes on , if you dont like it then cancel and join Slacker because they will get alot of business from this trust me. Sirius XM needs to do this to survive otherwise we have FM crap in the morning and no one wants that right ?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
+1 with you and Taylor. Life goes on , if you dont like it then cancel and join Slacker because they will get alot of business from this trust me. Sirius XM needs to do this to survive otherwise we have FM crap in the morning and no one wants that right ?

We are past the early adoption period. Lots of companies can survive for a year or two with a super innovative service for a short period of time. After this next year when SIRIUS XM can prove it can stay around it will seal Satellite Radio as an industry. But it's somewhere between an early adoption luxury and a full fledged industry.

If they can get through this they will be able to expand in enormous ways. They can be the Content king of the radio airwaves. Imagine that they are all suited for Wifi in the cars. When I buy a new car and spend $30k for all the new gadgets I'm hoping for a simple interface to listen to the best content and $12.95 is a bargain to supply it and include a simple interface to all of it. I'm not going to spend $30k on a car and then not spend an extra $12.95 per month. But in any case think about all the people worldwide that speak english that would have an opportunity to listen to the Howard Stern show live via XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service with Wifi in their cars. People in Germany, Japan, England, South Africa. It has so much possibility, but again they just have to pay off the debt this year.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I’ll stop voicing my opinion in this forum if it’s really upsetting everyone.

I don't think anyone is telling you not to voice your opinion, my point is to be reasonable. Rather you dis the service or not is your concern as my life certainly doesn't depend on this service. However, I do understand they are in survival mode and like Taylor I'd rather them do the price increase and charge for things that have been free rather than see them go out of business.

I guess for me I can't understand why folks get so pissed off over a few dollars when they will usually piss that off in a days time buying junk food. Granted lots of bad decisions have been made, but right now Sirius XM is trying to keep the doors open, the lights turned on and the sats roving the skies. Even with what they are doing it may not be enough. So again, I think now is the time to be reasonable considering where this company is and where the economy is, because I don't know about you, but I'd rather not lose my hardware investment over a few dollars.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
We are past the early adoption period. Lots of companies can survive for a year or two with a super innovative service for a short period of time. After this next year when SIRIUS XM can prove it can stay around it will seal Satellite Radio as an industry. But it's somewhere between an early adoption luxury and a full fledged industry.

If they can get through this they will be able to expand in enormous ways. They can be the Content king of the radio airwaves. Imagine that they are all suited for Wifi in the cars. When I buy a new car and spend $30k for all the new gadgets I'm hoping for a simple interface to listen to the best content and $12.95 is a bargain to supply it and include a simple interface to all of it. I'm not going to spend $30k on a car and then not spend an extra $12.95 per month. But in any case think about all the people worldwide that speak english that would have an opportunity to listen to the Howard Stern show live via XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service with Wifi in their cars. People in Germany, Japan, England, South Africa. It has so much possibility, but again they just have to pay off the debt this year.

And that is the $ 64,000 question because we dont know when the debt or if the debt will be paid off this year. This could be a hellva chance for the company to expose themselves world wide , and get alot more subscribers then they have right now.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Been to a grocery store lately?
Taken a flight with luggage to check?
Notice new menus at your favorite restaurants? See any changes in the price column?

Now, Obama is in, and he promised not to raise taxes on the middle class, yet promised to increase taxes on already struggling big business.

That said, do you expect big business to gladly eat these new expenses, or might prices once again move in an upward direction?

It sucks, and will probably get worse...

You could write threads like this at soooo many businesses these days. Everyone is struggling. At least here, you can be assured of 1 thing, Sirius everything sat radio service will be $12.95 for 2.5 more years.

Ask your local gas station to lock down prices for 2 years and see how far you get.....