Sirius Internet Radio No Longer Free?

NBACha

Oct 28, 2008
I am a current subscriber with a 2-year plan. This morning when I logged on, I got a pop up message that stated something to the efect of 'After March 11th, sirius internet radio would no linger be provided free with my normal subscription". So, even though my 2-year plan does not expire for another 16 months, am I understanding right that as of March 11th I can no longer listen on line? This is EXTREMELY unfair. I understand the need to generate revenue, but the change should only apply once a current subscriber's subscription ends.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
My understanding was that you would continue to get it until the end of your current plan... Try calling them and see what they say.

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
I have a 2 year plan that ends in 10 months... The media player popup does say things are changing on March 11th, But it goes on to say: "On your next renewal date you will no longer get free online listening".

So it's definitely when you renew. If you have a long term contract, you'll get free internet until your term is up.....

sacskullcrushers

Jan 28, 2009
Email a message to Sirius about the no free internet BS http://www.sirius.com/custome

If enough people complain Sirius will realize what they are doing is very stupid.

Maybe they have forgotten what the working class that uses there services is dealing with these days.

Lets see… lay offs are at all time high in the United States and automotive industry is bankrupt, the stock market is shot, people are losing there homes and are hanging on by a thread.

Please join the cause and email the following message to Sirius.

Cut and Paste this message (or you own) to: http://www.sirius.com/customercare

Hello Sirius I am a current subscriber and this afternoon when I went to start my internet player, I got a message on the screen about March 11th. It stated that Sirius Internet Radio would no longer be provided free with my subscription. With the tough economical times I can not justify spending more money on your services.

By taking away something that was promised to be included free from the get go is wrong, I think you are starting to nickel and dime your customers and I hope you can steer me in the right direction or I may need to abandon your services.

Keep the Internet Player free and lose me as a subscriber.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I will not be sending that. I can see why they are eliminating the free player.

Nice first post btw. Complain much?

NBACha

Oct 28, 2008
You guys are right. I re-read the text and the free internet radio ends when my plan ends.

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
If you can't afford an extra $0.10 a day, then you probably should put your money to better use than satellite radio.

And unfortunately the bulk of the population are indeed finding better uses for their money than satellite radio...and rate increases -- however small -- make it less likely that they'll be convinced otherwise.

But SiriusXM needs to do what they must to survive. And much as I feel the service has gone downhill, I hope that they're able to make it.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Right just like your struggling your post points out that so is everything else. That is why they are raising there rates. If everyone just Cancels then Siriusxm will never make up there debts, howver if some stick around maybe one day in the future the debts will be erased, and they can again offeer you your free internet radio. Seriously man it streams at 32k that is such shitty quality do you seriously enjoy that?

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
I just signed in to my XM account and it says it will be near cd quality which is what Sirius's says. I think the free one is going away for XM's side as well. Again 64k is better, but I will enjoy this. I was listening to pop2k and it has a wierd sound not as enjoyable as my Sirius one. I also am somewhat hoping that they will add some online stuff, but will see.

DJL

Jan 20, 2009
So does this mean for Lifetime Subscribers that the Internet radio will end March 11th?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
If you can't afford an extra $0.10 a day, then you probably should put your money to better use than satellite radio.

If they can't afford to swallow .10c a day to keep a paying customer, they can find someone else to subscribe.

Or can they?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So does this mean for Lifetime Subscribers that the Internet radio will end March 11th?

Lifetime subscribers will have the internet radio remain free (32k version). SL100 and SL2 owners will also retain free 32k internet from their units.

EXTREME

Feb 6, 2009
Had to register to make this post.

I was looking for an email address to sirius radio and couldn't find one. So, this is the next best thing i suppose.

Charging for internet use is fucking stupid! Period.

Why not charge us another 10 dollars a month? I mean really, what's ten dollars a month?!

I'm glad that sirius merged with xm so now there is no alternative and we are stuck listening to shitty music with more commercials than local television...

Dmtalon

Feb 6, 2009
Only 10c a day... I keep seeing this. What do you pay a day now? what's the % of change? For me to continue as is, it's a 40% increase in monthly charges. Radios in two cars, and both my wife and I listen online at work. Her via the website, me via my iPhone/ORB

Now:
Radio1 - $12.95
Radio2 - $06.99
===========
$19.94/mo

After March 11th

Radio1 - $12.99 + $2.99
Radio2 - $08.99 + $2.99
=================
$27.96/mo

A little Math:
$27.96 - $19.94 = $8.02
$8.02 / $19.94 = .4022 (just over 40%)

That's a hell of a post monoperger jump...