Sirius in a Prius

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
I am looking at buying a new prius. (I need a small car with good gas milage.) anyways from what I see it don't come with sirius pre installed. Anyone know if this works: HERE

I dont even wanna go that route of actually buying it. Anyone gotten a prius and gotten a dealer to install sirius for you? I want a nice clean set up. My wife is taking my car (which currently has a clean install of a Sporster 4 in it) and I will be driving the prius.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I am looking at buying a new prius. (I need a small car with good gas milage.) anyways from what I see it don't come with sirius pre installed. Anyone know if this works: HERE

I dont even wanna go that route of actually buying it. Anyone gotten a prius and gotten a dealer to install sirius for you? I want a nice clean set up. My wife is taking my car (which currently has a clean install of a Sporster 4 in it) and I will be driving the prius.

Does it come with XM preinstalled? I use XM with best of Sirius in my Honda and miss nothing after having Sirius for years.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
I dont believe it comes with either. So I figure I might as well install Sirius in it and save myself a couple extra pennies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
My parents own a Prius. Nice car... great gas mileage! :bigthumbup:

They got the car without satellite radio, and later got XM. (Self-installed, not a clean set-up)

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Im not sure if a dealer would install it for you or not, but here is the package you need: Toyota Lexus and Scion SIRIUS Connect TOY-SC1 SCC1 Package This will provide Sirius inside your vehicle, however, some push button start toyotas have had problems with built in Sat radio units. A lot of it has to do with the fact that push button cars don't go into accessory mode when started. If you get into a turn key car it will provide power in accessory mode by only turning the key half way and not starting the car. This will allow the radio to run and initialize the sat radio without running the car. Push button start cars have problems with this because they wont initialize the unit immeditately without the accessory mode. We deal with this problem a lot. The solution is to get into the car and push the start button without holding the brake. This will trigger the accessory mode and initialize the sat radio. Once that is done then you can start the car. This process is good to do for about the first week of ownership, then it should work almost every time.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
This process is good to do for about the first week of ownership, then it should work almost every time.
That's very interesting and good to know. thx Matt.

@ OP FWIW My friend did a self install and had tons of problems with the antenna wire routing causing leaks in the molding.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Huh, did he install it or did someone else?
He "installed" it himself, he just forgot to complete the diy job with the necessary bilge pump.:rofl2:

I "bailed" him out and did it right for him. no problems since. (this was a first gen prius, so just a pnp radio with microdot)

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Thanks for the info. I Will see if they would install that for me. I dont mind paying extra if it's needed. The way the car industry is you think they would do what they could do to get a sale.

Hatuxka

Dec 1, 2008
The 2010 Prius we looked at a couple of weeks ago had a factory XM unit in it. With a Best of Sirius added to it, you'd have the best of both worlds and the cleanest of installs.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Isn't there an issue with character limit for Prius vehicles?

10 character limit if I remember right.

For example, instead of seeing "Howard Stern Show", you would only see "Howard Ste"

They might have fixed it for newer models though.