SIRGM2L Possible Solution for Malibu?

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
I need to give all the details to make sure I get this right so sorry for the long post.

I have a 2008 Malibu (not maxx or classic, the new style) that has the base AM/FM/CD player that does NOT have the RDS functions. The radio has numbers on the buttons for pre-sets not dashes. It is a fleet car. I have an S50 in it right now plus one in my wifes car and one in the home so investing in XM is out of the question.
I have a 2009 XM ready RDS factory AM/FM/CD/MP3 (single disc) unit from a wrecked Malibu that my dealer said will program to my cars vin# so I have to make no permanent alterations.
Now my question - Will the SIRGM2L work if I get the appropriate T-harness? The radio has the 16 and 14 pin connectors going into it but I don't know what the factory harness looks like that comes with the standard XM optioned Malibu.
What I do know is the only thing missing is the tuner and appropriate harness. Does the 2L work as a "pass through" for harness or does it have a single output connector that feeds to the back of the factory radio? Also, the list on TSS's site shows the 2007-09 Malibu as being compatible but the 07 uses the class 2 databus and the 09 uses 11 bit LAN. Some of the other vehicles listed are 29 bit LAN and I don't see many of the other vehicles that use the same platform as the 08-09 Malibu. Was this a misprint by TSS?? Please tell me no and it's just an issue of making an appropriate harness.
I would have no problem modifying my existing harness using something bought off the shelf from another system.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I need to give all the details to make sure I get this right so sorry for the long post.

I have a 2008 Malibu (not maxx or classic, the new style) that has the base AM/FM/CD player that does NOT have the RDS functions. The radio has numbers on the buttons for pre-sets not dashes. It is a fleet car. I have an S50 in it right now plus one in my wifes car and one in the home so investing in XM is out of the question.
I have a 2009 XM ready RDS factory AM/FM/CD/MP3 (single disc) unit from a wrecked Malibu that my dealer said will program to my cars vin# so I have to make no permanent alterations.
Now my question - Will the SIRGM2L work if I get the appropriate T-harness? The radio has the 16 and 14 pin connectors going into it but I don't know what the factory harness looks like that comes with the standard XM optioned Malibu.
What I do know is the only thing missing is the tuner and appropriate harness. Does the 2L work as a "pass through" for harness or does it have a single output connector that feeds to the back of the factory radio? Also, the list on TSS's site shows the 2007-09 Malibu as being compatible but the 07 uses the class 2 databus and the 09 uses 11 bit LAN. Some of the other vehicles listed are 29 bit LAN and I don't see many of the other vehicles that use the same platform as the 08-09 Malibu. Was this a misprint by TSS?? Please tell me no and it's just an issue of making an appropriate harness.
I would have no problem modifying my existing harness using something bought off the shelf from another system.

I would love for you to give me a call on this one. We have had some problems with the GM2L and the Malibu. I would love it if you could test this out for us. To answer your question, all you needed is the correct harness for newer GM radios that have the 16 pin connector to plug into the stock XM unit, or in this case the GM2L. Please call me at 773-772-4340 so we can discuss the details of this further and cut you a sizeable discount for helping us sort out this issue. We have done this before for people with SAAB's that wanted sirius but we weren't sure about the compatability.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
I will be calling today and will follow up with pics, details and successes/failures of the install to share with all. Stay tuned.........

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
OK, the GM2L is on it's way. While waiting, I've been doing some research on all the radios that are available and it seems the stock "fleet" radio may be XM compatible but the display lacks the ability to show any real amount of information sent from the satellite unit. One of the factory diagrams show the base radio along side the On-Star module folowed by a harness leading back to the trunk where the XM module should be. I've purchased the upgraded radio so I'll be using that as it has the ability to scroll information with a more complex dot matrix display.
From more research I've learned there are a few harness options depending on the standard equipment; On-Star only, XM only, both and neither. That was a bit discouraging untill I ran across a well taken photo of the XM upgrade kit for the 2008 HHR (same radio platform as my Malibu; LAN 11 bit data with the 16/14 pin plugs but may have slightly different programming burned in so don't buy one for your Malibu, I think.)
The photo of the kit shows the harness very well and makes it very clear how GM adds the XM as a later upgrade post production of the vehicle. It is merely a T-harness where you unplug the two plugs from the back of the radio, plug them into the new harness and plug the third leg of the harness to the XM (soon to be Sirius) module. The harness provides power too so there are no other attachments other than the antenna. An aftermarket Sirius antenna is cheap and can be painted to match your vehicle with a small spray paint can in your factory color from the local auto supply store. I use a XM antenna on my Miata for my Sirius S50 and it works just fine but I don't know how well the factory XM antenna would work with an adaptor.
What remains then is to get the GM part number of the harness included in the HHR upgrade kit to use for my transplant if they have it available seperately. I hope. The final item will be connecting the Sirius unit to the harness and see what happens. I'll know more tomorrow from the dealer when I try to get the harness number and order it.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
I need to add; I'm looking at the HHR harness because I haven't been able to locate a part number for the 2008/09 Malibu. It may exist, I just haven't found it yet but will use it if I do. The only thing I am sure of with the HHR harness is the plugs are correct but I'm not sure of the wiring.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
update; Friday I went to Dave White Chevrolet in Sylvania, OH. Matt in the service department programmed my new radio to work with my vin# for free. It took all of 5 minutes. The person in the parts department was not nearly as helpfull. He didn't want to explore what options there were for a harness and I was the only customer in the dept. I settled on a XM radio harness for the 2008 HHR and it will be in next week. The only parts that I really need are the wires and plug that go into the sat. module.
I called quite a few salvage yards to see if I could snag a harness from a car but nobody has late model cars.
I'll update in a few days.......

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
update; Friday I went to Dave White Chevrolet in Sylvania, OH. Matt in the service department programmed my new radio to work with my vin# for free. It took all of 5 minutes. The person in the parts department was not nearly as helpfull. He didn't want to explore what options there were for a harness and I was the only customer in the dept. I settled on a XM radio harness for the 2008 HHR and it will be in next week. The only parts that I really need are the wires and plug that go into the sat. module.
I called quite a few salvage yards to see if I could snag a harness from a car but nobody has late model cars.
I'll update in a few days.......

Sounds like you're on your way. Can't wait to see the outcome!

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
i just found out from the dealer that the unhelpful parts counter person ordered a harness that is not yet in production! nice. The parts manager ordered me a much more expensive option which is the stock harness that comes with a malibu equipped with satellite for the same price. I will have more on Friday.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
No luck finding a factory harness or wiring diagram. I ordered a part# 71-2104 reverse harness from Metra that contains the 16 and 14 pin plugs. The plan is to use the 16 pin plug for the connection to the SIRGM2L and steal some pins from the 14 pin plug to fill in the blanks on the radio 16 pin connection.
The only question left is the data wires and where they go or how their run. My question is whether or not the data passes through the XM on to the radio and back to the main computer or is there a data in - data out wire set??? I have no idea but I am getting closer. I have identified the audio, power and ground wires.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
Matt,

No problem. I'm learning some new things and I love a challenge. I'm waiting for my Metra harness to come in from back order then I'll begin wiring things up. I'm far from giving up.

davel583

Sep 7, 2009
Michigan
Well Folks, it's a bust. I was able to secure a factory harness with the correct wiring and the Sirius SIRGM2L is not compatible with the GM 11 bit LAN radios.

A search for the rental cars that used this device showed no 08 malibus that offered Sirius either.

Just to be sure I had everything in proper order, I swapped out the GM2L for a factory XM module and it worked fine.

The 11 bit radios seem to be the least used format in the GM lineup so solutions are at a minimum.

Matt, would you like the radio back as we discussed???

Thanks for letting me try anyway. I will walk away from this with much more than I expected and if I can save someone ALOT of trouble, then so much the better.

Dave