Single Artist Channel?

Oct 29, 2008
Nope. May want to pick up a sat radio sub. I hear the single artist thing is very common with those music providers. You don't get that kind of thing on internet radio. Thank goodness.

awfulwaffle

Oct 28, 2008
why does it matter? I was just curious if it was possible to do this. I feel some artists I could listen to for an extended period of time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
why does it matter? I was just curious if it was possible to do this. I feel some artists I could listen to for an extended period of time.

It doesn't matter really, but so many hate those single artist channels on Sirius XM that it was kind of funny to hear someone suggest doing so on Slacker. Slacker is where many have gone from sat radio because of their dissatisfaction; a few because of those single artist channels and losing their favorites during the recent music channel mergers.

But licensing restrictions do not allow Slacker to extend the ability for users to play just one artist all the time. In fact the minimum artist is 15 on any given station. If you try to create a station with less than 15, it will auto add some artist that the system deems appropriate to bring the artist count to 15. I've tested it and it does in fact do this.

Oct 29, 2008
Radio io has a specialty section. They have a all grateful dead station. This is the only internet radio station I can think of that is one artist only. Except for the Sirius internet dead channel. Not sure how io can do this. Must have some special contract with the band rights holders.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Radio io has a specialty section. They have a all grateful dead station. This is the only internet radio station I can think of that is one artist only. Except for the Sirius internet dead channel. Not sure how io can do this. Must have some special contract with the band rights holders.

I would imagine if Sirius can work out a single artist promotional channel that online radio services can too. The difference is that online they have plenty if bandwidth and don't have to remove other channels in order to do these single artist channels.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV

AOL Radio does have alot of single artist stations. Metallica , Pearl Jam , Dave Matthews , Korn , the boss aka Bruce Springsteen. There is also Green Day , Smashing Pumpkins , Radiohead , Faith Hill and Tim McGraw and Keith Urban. But what there is more B.I.G. , Slayer , Madonna , Michael Jackson Janet Jackson Luther Vandross and R Kelly. So to prove that Sirius has way too many single artist channels is a understatement to a extant , but they have more channels then Sirius XM.

Oct 29, 2008
AOL I did not think folks still use this. That is a lot of single artist stations. I imagine that is not a very popular online music provider.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I listened to Metallica briefly for a time , and it got repetitive after a while , still they have some good stuff on there.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AOL I did not think folks still use this. That is a lot of single artist stations. I imagine that is not a very popular online music provider.

You've be surprised especially with their iPhone/iPod Touch application that is available via Apple for free. I listened to it for a few hours the other night and the SQ is equal to that of Slacker.